“He should be Manager of the Season”

NWCherries98

Fans' Favourite
Dunno if anyone else agrees, but it’s Starting to really piss me off seeing this everywhere!

To get it out of the way, I’ve always thought that in many ways O’Neil was a very good coach on the training pitch. I loved his energy when he first took over, talking about how much of an honour it was to be the manager, how the players are more than good enough to stay up. Saying how he feels part of the club. Generally, he’s probably the most likeable of the short group of managers we’ve had since EH, and seems like a very hardworking person and a great guy, with the respect of the players.

It’s a fantastic accomplishment to have turned the season around from where Parker left us to be safe with 4 games to spare. And recently we’ve even been playing some great stuff too. Having said that…

We have Mark McAdam and other local pundits and reporters slagging off the fans for not keeping the faith earlier in the season. We’ve got every other pundit with wide eyes and expressions of disbelief muttering “my lord, to keep THAT squad up. Christ. He should be manager of the season!”

Kindly go **************** yourselves. They’re going to sit there in their little media boxes and tell us that our squad is that much worse than Southampton’s, Everton’s, Forests, and Leeds’? Our squad is probably, on the whole, bottom 6 in terms of quality (lower and maybe higher before and after the Jan. window). I wouldn’t have been “surprised” to go down, but I’d have been disappointed, as even before January we were more than capable of staying up with some confidence and sensible tactics.

The way these pundits are patronisingly carrying on like this, refusing to give our players or Gary O’Neil himself any sensible credit is infuriating. It’s not a miracle that we’ve stayed up, a lot of it is down to Gary himself learning on the job and phasing out some his awful habits. We were fucking dreadful for a good 4 months, DESPITE the quality of players we often had at our disposal. When we were at our worst, we were missing all of our best players - the same players written off as being, obviously, THE worst squad in the entire league.

And with tweets like McAdam’s it goes the other way. Obviously the people with O’Neil clown profile pics on Twitter and being abusive should feel very stupid. But the fans, generally speaking, know what they’re looking at. From Late October to March, the football we were playing was piss poor, and we were grossly underperforming.

Not sure where I’m going with this tbh. O’Neil at the end of the day has done a brilliant job, and I’m glad we stuck with him. But he’s not this messianic figure that all these pundits are making him out to be, rescuing our simple-minded championship dross squad from certain doom. And all of the 90% of people that thought he’d relegate us aren’t bad people or stupid people for thinking this.

With our investment at the start of the season and in January, and in comparison to how other teams are looking, I’d expect us to finish around 16th. I imagine that’s probably where we’ll realistically end up. Mission accomplished, well done Gary. Let’s push on next year. In the meantime, these crap youtuber pundits, the dimwits on Sky, and the well meaning but smug local ones ought to remind themselves that we’re a quality team with big investment behind it and a recent legacy of being a solid, mid table club in the richest league in the world. And that it’s not entitled or ungrateful to expect more when we’re not seeing this.

If Foley is to be believed, we’re going to become even more a part of the furniture of the elite than we are now. Maybe these pundits will get onboard eventually, but I doubt it lol.

:clap:
If the squad was as bad as the media and some fans say then O’Neil is manager of the century let alone the year.

It was a squad that during managerial turmoil, ownership change and injuries beat Villa, Forest, Everton a couple times, Leicester, drew with Newcastle, Brentford and Fulham.

A squad more expensive to assemble than Brighton and Brentford. A squad that then added six players in January for 50 odd million (not that many featured..but Outtara and some useful bit part stuff).

Some of the stuff I’ve read the last few days leaves me shaking my head in disbelief! If I see another fan offering a public self flagellating apology for getting angry when it went on a one win in 15 game run with all that talent I will cry.

We are now playing the way we should (and have sporadically) all season. So credit for eventually getting there but manager of the year? Nah.

You can tell who's watched the Mark McAdam BOTN video (or just read his tweet properly) and those who still think he was criticising anyone who offered an opinion on performances.

The rest of this thread can be summed up by "people on YouTube/ Twitter say extreme things for attention". Wait til you find out it's the same for any topic, not just GON.

Defenders: Vina, Zabarnyi. Both injured for a while, signed in January. Every single other defender in the first team squad has been written off as not good enough on this forum - some not even good enough for the level below apparently.

Midfield: Tavernier, injured for a while. All others not good enough.

Forwards: Ahahaha!!!! Semenyo not been seen enough to get slagged off yet, otherwise etc.

I think you need to ignore the opinion of A LOT of posters to then claim that's a great squad.

Still, I'm just a happy clapper that gets stick for backing them anyway and refusing to boo them off regularly, so whatever.

You can tell who's watched the Mark McAdam BOTN video (or just read his tweet properly) and those who still think he was criticising anyone who offered an opinion on performances.

The rest of this thread can be summed up by "people on YouTube/ Twitter say extreme things for attention". Wait til you find out it's the same for any topic, not just GON.

I mean, the point of the thread was kind of just that I think we’re better than we’re given credit for. Not really having a go at anyone tbh, I thought Mark was a bit smug in his tweet, I’m sure he can handle that. Other than that it’s faceless pundits I’m insulting so :shrug:

Last edited:
Defenders: Vina, Zabarnyi. Both injured for a while, signed in January. Every single other defender in the first team squad has been written off as not good enough on this forum - some not even good enough for the level below apparently.

Midfield: Tavernier, injured for a while. All others not good enough.

Forwards: Ahahaha!!!! Semenyo not been seen enough to get slagged off yet, otherwise etc.

I think you need to ignore the opinion of A LOT of posters to then claim that's a great squad.

Still, I'm just a happy clapper that gets stick for backing them anyway and refusing to boo them off regularly, so whatever.

I didn’t say it was a great squad tbf, I said it was bottom 6 and that we’re probably going to finish bottom 6. I have consistently hyped up everyone from Stephens to Zabarnyi and everyone in between. You won’t find anyone on here that’s been more militant against booing than me either. We have much more in common than you think.

Playing devils advocate, who should be in the conversation regarding manager of the season? Pep, Arteta and Howe. That’s pretty much it, maybe the Brighton guy then why not throw O’Neil in the mix?

He doesn’t have to have been perfect throughout. But he’s got it right when he’s needed to.

Playing devils advocate, who should be in the conversation regarding manager of the season? Pep, Arteta and Howe. That’s pretty much it, maybe the Brighton guy then why not throw O’Neil in the mix?

He doesn’t have to have been perfect throughout. But he’s got it right when he’s needed to.
Assuming it will be Pep if they win something else as well as league. Eddie after that for me then Arteta. If you are looking for people that haven’t had a full season then Unai at Villa who were below us when he got the job.

I don’t really have a problem with it, it’s the condescending attitude with which most people offer up this opinion in the media. He gets talked about like Moses parting the red and black sea lol, and I think it’s disrespectful considering how much shitter other clubs are and how good I think we are in comparison.

Assuming it will be Pep if they win something else as well as league. Eddie after that for me then Arteta. If you are looking for people that haven’t had a full season then Unai at Villa who were below us when he got the job.

Good shout. That said, he took over from Gerrard who personally I think is about on par with Lampard as “elite managers”.

Good shout. That said, he took over from Gerrard who personally I think is about on par with Lampard as “elite managers”.

You could also throw in Marco Silva and Thomas Frank. Both don’t really have that great a squad to be working with on paper. Fulham’s is about on par with ours in a few ways imho, they’ve had a fantastic season.

In relation to the going down thing. Written off before the season started by every man and his dog, pundit, football forum (saints web, NSC)...most on here and me;). I'm a pragmatist and thought we would struggle, which we did. The Premier league looked strong and it was no surprise that the promoted three were then made relegation favourites. That's how it works, unless its a big hitter making their return like Newcastle.

I guess it was easy to forget five seasons in the PL, went down narrowly, could well have gone up at the first time of asking and did so quite comfortably last season. Meanwhile the money kept flowing and the performances on the whole were dominating and commanding. The pedigree never really went.

I think what started to put doubts in peoples minds was that late Forest run when the press went all giddy over them (until we put them to bed) but hell we were suddenly looking over our shoulder at this 'super manager'. Parkers previous with Fulham in the PL didn't help, then with him starting to drip on pre season. All of the PL money and parachute payments were quickly forgotten. Sold a few players but kept the core of the squad, no fire sale but the squad did look thin. The doubts about Solankes scoring ability at this level were very real and still are with some. All of this added up.

Plus its little 'ole AFCB but I don't think that will ever, ever change with pundits and the press until we build a ground with at least the capacity of Brentford.

Perhaps we shouldn't have been treated as relegation candidates or at best one / two season wonders like Cardiff, Reading, Hudds, Norwich etc who all lacked our investment and mostly lacked what went before us.

Manager of the season-not for me but Arteta, Eddie or Pep surely.

You could also throw in Marco Silva and Thomas Frank. Both don’t really have that great a squad to be working with on paper. Fulham’s is about on par with ours in a few ways imho, they’ve had a fantastic season.

Personal bias prevents me from considering Frank, maybe over time those feeling will pass.

Fulham have fallen off a cliff, if their season was flipped around then I’m sure he’d be in mix.

McAdam had it virtually spot on IMO. I think the laundry list of reasons for losing games was excessive on the podcast but it's understandable as he knows people at the club on a personal level. Like him I'd love to see supporters living up to the name and creating a environment were players are encouraged to take risks and show some flair. It's to our collective detriment that we don't but that's the typical entitled fan mindset that's throughout the higher leagues. Its pretty alienating at times.

We've had people on here who flounced off after getting called out on their crap who have been broadcasting abuse at GON and others at the club for months.

4th cheapest squad to assemble after Jan on the same points tally as the third most expensive at 6 or so times the cost.

Personal bias prevents me from considering Frank, maybe over time those feeling will pass.

Fulham have fallen off a cliff, if their season was flipped around then I’m sure he’d be in mix.

Frank singlehandedly tricked me into thinking I don’t like Brentford lol.

Idk if they’ve actually fallen off a cliff per se. They’ve won a couple of games recently despite being “on the beach”, gave City a rough old game earlier this week. Also had to contend with being without Mitrovic for a while. If you swapped our forms around in the year tbf, say we won all these recent games in October, would Gary be in the mix?

McAdam had it virtually spot on IMO. I think the laundry list of reasons for losing games was excessive on the podcast but it's understandable as he knows people at the club on a personal level. Like him I'd love to see supporters living up to the name and creating a environment were players are encouraged to take risks and show some flair. It's to our collective detriment that we don't but that's the typical entitled fan mindset that's throughout the higher leagues. Its pretty alienating at times.

We've had people on here who flounced off after getting called out on their crap who have been broadcasting abuse at GON and others at the club for months.

4th cheapest squad to assemble after Jan on the same points tally as the third most expensive at 6 or so times the cost.

I agree with all of this. I haven’t watched and was unaware of any BOTN video so I’m going off his initial tweet, which he muted replies on. I don’t think it came across very well, but that’s just my opinion. I agreed with what I assumed was his general point, but I thought it was dismissive of the legitimate criticisms many normal fans have had over the course of the season. If he’s cleared it up elsewhere then fair enough.

T’was my point. :)

Was it? My bad lol, I thought you were saying O’Neil should be considered because he’s done everything well at the right points of the season, which seemed counter to your point. Either way I agree!

;