Home fans. Away fans

drd

Star Player
I get to few games these days , so this is an observation, not a criticism.
Our travelling fans are excellent, lots of noise, never seem too many moans, get lots of compliments from the opposition, even last week.

At home though we can be very quiet, and seem to wait for the team to do something to cheer about, rather than create the atmosphere to help them do it.

Why the difference? I get the hardcore fans thing, but assuming they go to DC too, our travelling fans make up probably a quarter of those at home

Our travelling fans are excellent, lots of noise, never seem too many moans, get lots of compliments from the opposition, even last week.

At home though we can be very quiet, and seem to wait for the team to do something to cheer about, rather than create the atmosphere to help them do it.

Why the difference? I get the hardcore fans thing, but assuming they go to DC too, our travelling fans make up probably a quarter of those at home

Usually the way isn;t it.Seating no doubt doesnt help, although imagine a fair % of away fans are in the vocal parts on North Stand.

Psychological thing, more excited as away game (different surroundings), underdog etc? More likely to be p1ssed, drinking for hours before away games?

Usually the way isn;t it.Seating no doubt doesnt help, although imagine a fair % of away fans are in the vocal parts on North Stand.

Psychological thing, more excited as away game (different surroundings), underdog etc? More likely to be p1ssed, drinking for hours before away games?
Yes I suppose our good friend alcohol may be relevant!

- Harder for the younger fans to get home tickets and to sit together if they do - usually most the chants originate from a bunch of the young lads at the back few rows in the away games and then spread
- no standing at home games
- alcohol

Until we get safe standing and/or designated areas for singing at home games, and make it easier for younger fans to get tickets, it will continue to be the same. A few exceptions aside (e.g. Nottingham forest at home last year) it tends to be very quiet at DC.

Home seat allocation is pot luck so you can have people with different expectations sat together and you have no chance of getting 5 seats next to eachother unlike away games.

Home seat allocation is pot luck so you can have people with different expectations sat together and you have no chance of getting 5 seats next to eachother unlike away games.

YEah, unless smashed I imagine many would feel like a t1t chanting by themselves when most in their block prefer to watch games in more 'civilized' manner.

im a younger one who gave up my ST when i moved away years ago & almost only go to away games now - find it much more fun.

(also little/no home points)

cant see home atm getting better without safe standing/consolidate the singers etc

the rail seating at anfield seemed pretty good @ anfield, can we have some of that please? replace south end with a big one or similar in new gound?

Our away support is on average younger, and has on average a higher blood alcohol level...

As others have touched upon, the North stand has gotten gradually older and gradually quieter, with the next generation locked out of tickets.

Standing being semi accepted in away ends (as long as you aren't blocking anyone who would rather sit etc) possibly helps. Along the same lines, lads and lasses sitting or standing in groups rather than strictly adhering to the designated seat also probably helps.

Not easy to replicate at home.

For me there is no comparison to away games and home games, always better support away and fans get behind the team more. Unfortunately at home the seat one side of me is no longer a season ticket holder and is normally occupied by people more interested in looking at there phones or videoing every effing corner at our end.
Don't get me wrong I shall enjoy the Brighton game but I will enjoy the Newcastle trip much more.

For me there is no comparison to away games and home games, always better support away and fans get behind the team more. Unfortunately at home the seat one side of me is no longer a season ticket holder and is normally occupied by people more interested in looking at there phones or videoing every effing corner at our end.
Don't get me wrong I shall enjoy the Brighton game but I will enjoy the Newcastle trip much more.

I used to go away regularly in 90's and early 2000's. No comparison really, away days generate different level of excitement imo too. Thing of being in different town/city/stadium to the norm, almost like being on an adventure compared to routine at home.... not to say home games aren;t enjoyable of course.

To stay up we will need the fans to create a decent atmosphere at home - thought vs wolves the fans got behind the team when we were struggling but often it is so quiet.

That forest home game was sensational for noise. Need that every game. Maybe the siege mentality of the underdog will help now especially when see likes of Tommy on the bench

To stay up we will need the fans to create a decent atmosphere at home - thought vs wolves the fans got behind the team when we were struggling but often it is so quiet.

That forest home game was sensational for noise. Need that every game. Maybe the siege mentality of the underdog will help now especially when see likes of Tommy on the bench
Agree but feel like the club couod at least try to do something to help that (and NOT the clappers!). Create a designated singing section or something, surely wouldn't be too difficult? Might be too late to implement this season I guess given season ticket allocations.

Agree but feel like the club couod at least try to do something to help that (and NOT the clappers!). Create a designated singing section or something, surely wouldn't be too difficult? Might be too late to implement this season I guess given season ticket allocations.

Agree. I think the problem is that so many fans in the north stand have had their seats there for so long they won’t move.

Back in 2018 there was uproar at palace when they move fans to create the holmesdale fanatics section. Had a positive impact on atmosphere at the ground. A lot of loyal long-term fans were angry losing their decent view though.

I thought at one point one side of the north stand (by east stand) was a singing area ?

From my seat in the East Stand, the noise generated at home is better than it has been for a long time. Vs Wolves, it was noisy like the Forest game at the end of last season, when a Liverpool supporting friend couldn’t believe how noisy it was in the South Stand.

Agree. I think the problem is that so many fans in the north stand have had their seats there for so long they won’t move.

Back in 2018 there was uproar at palace when they move fans to create the holmesdale fanatics section. Had a positive impact on atmosphere at the ground. A lot of loyal long-term fans were angry losing their decent view though.

I thought at one point one side of the north stand (by east stand) was a singing area ?

Taking cold hearted, view, personally I think tough t1tt1ies, benefits club more rather than a few disgruntled fans not able to see the bigger picture/benefits it brings.

People are creatures of habit though and not surprised some get up in arms about being forced to sit in another seat.

Absolutely. The club need to be more innovative and try and help create a stadium that generates atmosphere, without forcing it through clappers. But... I don't know how they can do that.

;