How many more to come in?

kirsikka

UTC Legend
The Ritchie move has caught me by surprise a little as has bringing in another striker as our first big move of the summer.

I have a suspicion that Ake will be here as a CB primarily and will only be used at LB if a situation demands it due to an in-game injury or so forth.

Ake, Hyndman and Mousset all won't take up a place in the squad because of the U21 rule so we actually have spaces available.

My prediction as to who will make the cut is:

--- Keepers ---
Artur Boruc
Ryan Allsop
Adam Federici

--- Defenders ---
Rhoys Wiggins
Baily Cargill - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place
Tyrone Mings
Simon Francis
Charlie Daniels
Steve Cook
Adam Smith
Nathan Ake - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place

--- Midfielders ---
Junior Stanislas
Eunan O'Kane
Andrew Surman
Dan Gosling
Marc Pugh
Ryan Fraser
Max Gradel
Harry Arter
Emerson Hyndman - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place

--- Attackers
Joshua King
Lewis Grabban
Callum Wilson
Benik Afobe
Lys Mousset - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place

--- Don't Expect To Make The 25 ---
Shaun MacDonald
Tokelo Rantie
Lee Tomlin
Glenn Murray

Which would leave space for up to four more to come in. I'll go with a right back, a centre back, a centre midfielder and a wide midfielder to come in still.

How many are leaving ? Then we can work out how many might be coming in.

Add 2 centre backs, another central midfielder, another winger and a top class creative player then I'd be happy.

Have a feeling O'Kane may move as well to get more football or maybe as a make weight. If as has already been hypothesized EH is swapping our 442 wide out for a 433 based around pace, I can't see O'Kane fitting that model unfortunately.

In the event we're aiming for 433 I'd wonder if we might see another King/Gradel type, not an out an out winger but more of an inside forward/AMC to play Wilson/Grabban/ Mousset in.

Central Midfield is my biggest concern, we were regularly found out here last year. I'd like to see someone like Lewis Cook or Leiva here to add a bit of muscle and drive when Arter can't play. Both would be ideal as well.

I also expect a defined centre back to come in, we've lost two and I fully expect Cargill to go out on loan, hopefully to someone in the champo. We really need to strengthen here.

So in summary, one forward/AMC, 2 CMS and a CB.

It's starting to look like a very good squad indeed with lots of options.

The plethora of new U21 players means there is lots of flexibility available to us. For instance, it would be easy for us to include Macca as yet another CM option if we wanted to now. I just get the feeling he'll want to move on.

I'm still expecting at least two defenders to come in though. It was also interesting to see Ake say he was hoping to play in CM this season. If that's how the discussion with EH went then that really would point to the changed formation that Neil Dawson suggested.

--- Keepers ---
Artur Boruc
Ryan Allsop
Adam Federici

--- Defenders ---
Rhoys Wiggins
Baily Cargill - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place
Tyrone Mings
Simon Francis
Charlie Daniels
Steve Cook
Adam Smith
Nathan Ake - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place

--- Midfielders ---
Junior Stanislas
Eunan O'Kane
Andrew Surman
Dan Gosling
Marc Pugh
Ryan Fraser
Max Gradel
Harry Arter
Emerson Hyndman - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place
Lewis Cook - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place
Jordon Ibe - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place

--- Attackers
Joshua King
Lewis Grabban
Callum Wilson
Benik Afobe
Lys Mousset - U21 so doesn't take up a squad place

--- Don't Expect To Make The 25 ---
Shaun MacDonald
Tokelo Rantie

depends on the departures who can't be guaranteed opportunities - o'kane, macdonald, wiggins, grabban, fraser and cargill out on loan?

still think eh has a surprise or two up his sleeve, we've 6 weeks of the window left yet

Pretty certain Aké has been signed as a CM. That's what his interviews suggest and apparently that's how Conte sees him too. If this is the case we are done with midfielders.

By my reckoning we have 10 forwards (strikers and wingers) now. Think it would be ridiculous to sign anymore at this stage

That leaves defence. Arguably our weak point last season. Interestingly though, Francis and Cook were statistically two of the best defenders in the league last year. Despite that, I'd like to see and expect an experienced CB come to lead our defence. There is an arguement for another RB but in Francis and Smith we have good quality and cover.

For that reason I think we'll sign 2 more. The experienced CB and a younger CB prospect to challenge Cargill as 3rd choice.

In my opinion it's in defence where we need some nous and experience. Very exciting window so far though. Team could look like this:

Boruc

Smith, Franno, S Cook, Chaz

Ake

Surman, Arter

King, Callum, Ibe

With L Cook challenging Surman, Gradel vying with Ibe, Afobe pushing Callum, mixed in with Gosling, Wee Man and Mousset surely an exciting season lies ahead?!!

And of course Pughie. With the sale of Ritchie and intro and Ibe though I feel Eddie might change formation slightly. Great squad player to have though.

Until we sign some defenders I'll still feel a bit uneasy.

That is a fine attack though, young, pacey, hungry players. And Lewis Grabban. We have so many options upfront now, and our midfield looks much better in terms of depth.

I think personally the defense was the was our weakest link last season ,switched off so many times and at this level we cannot afford that .So more depth but more importantly EXPERIENCE !!!

wallmth - 15/7/2016 01:08

I think personally the defense was the was our weakest link last season ,switched off so many times and at this level we cannot afford that .So more depth but more importantly EXPERIENCE !!!

I agree but strengthening the midfield which was torn to shreads at times by some teams will also help the defence.

I expect to see a different formatrion this season too which will help.

A 4231 or 433 is now easily achieved with the increased talent, tenacity and athleticism in mldfield.

London Cherry - 14/7/2016 23:50

In my opinion it's in defence where we need some nous and experience. Very exciting window so far though. Team could look like this:

Boruc

Smith, Franno, S Cook, Chaz

Ake

Surman, Arter

King, Callum, Ibe

With L Cook challenging Surman, Gradel vying with Ibe, Afobe pushing Callum, mixed in with Gosling, Wee Man and Mousset surely an exciting season lies ahead?!!

Boruc

Smith Francis Cook Daniels

Ibe Surman Arter Pugh

Wilson King

Like to see Cargill given a chance if one of our first choices gets injured. I like Smith as a player but is he your first choice premiership right back. If I had to pick a weak spot it would be there.

;