If Eddie had been sacked on 18th Jan after Norwich

Winsor Cherry

Star Player
Just 2 weeks ago Bmth had an awful run of results where we had suffered consequetive defeats to 4 struggling sides (Brighton, West Ham, Watford & Norwich). In that period we had conceded 10 without reply or indeed really looking like scoring. This wasn't our only problem the team lacked fight, effort and were 'playing' with zero confidence culminating in rumours that Eddie should either resign or be sacked.

Had he left I imagine if under a new manager we had achieved the outstanding victories that Eddie has just attained ie 6 points, out of the relegation zone now fighting for our lives with unity back in abundance the majority of fans & pundits would probably be referring to the 'new manager bounce' & that it was proof that Eddie had to go using phrases like 'he had obviously lost the dressing room'.

I say our loyalty to Eddie was obviously correct in light of everything he has done for us & massive credit to him for stopping the rot (in more ways than one!) We are far from safe & we have a hell of a long way to go but IF we go down fighting with Eddie @ the helm I don't think many would be too critical.

To me IF we manage to stay up it might just be another one of Eddie's outstanding achievements & we can all look back at the fact we remained proud & loyal to Eddie in HIS hour of need.
UTCIAD

Just 2 weeks ago Bmth had an awful run of results where we had suffered consequetive defeats to 4 struggling sides (Brighton, West Ham, Watford & Norwich). In that period we had conceded 10 without reply or indeed really looking like scoring. This wasn't our only problem the team lacked fight, effort and were 'playing' with zero confidence culminating in rumours that Eddie should either resign or be sacked.

Had he left I imagine if under a new manager we had achieved the outstanding victories that Eddie has just attained ie 6 points, out of the relegation zone now fighting for our lives with unity back in abundance the majority of fans & pundits would probably be referring to the 'new manager bounce' & that it was proof that Eddie had to go using phrases like 'he had obviously lost the dressing room'.

I say our loyalty to Eddie was obviously correct in light of everything he has done for us & massive credit to him for stopping the rot (in more ways than one!) We are far from safe & we have a hell of a long way to go but IF we go down fighting with Eddie @ the helm I don't think many would be too critical.

To me IF we manage to stay up it might just be another one of Eddie's outstanding achievements & we can all look back at the fact we remained proud & loyal to Eddie in HIS hour of need.
UTCIAD

Unfortunately a lot of afcb fans did lose their nerve. What is that loud but not proud Facebook group now saying

Perhaps both sides were right. Those who said “stay” and those who said “go”.

Like some things in life, you have to hit rock bottom in order to start the climb. Whatever has happened in the last two weeks you could argue that it had to get as bad as it did for that to finally happen. Maybe it was the gravity and suddenly real threat of relegation and losing jobs that finally sparked something. Just hope it lasts and they don’t fall off the wagon.

The bottom line is I don’t think Eddie was in any danger of losing his job.

The media can build managers/clubs up, but they can also knock them down.

Two pundits on MOTD both when asked about AFCB, said they are down, think this was after the Norwich away game.

They obviously don’t know Eddie, he has been criticised for playing the style of football we played in the lower leagues and it wouldn’t work in the PL. Eddie stuck to his guns and proved them wrong.

We have had a sticky patch and we are not out of the woods yet, but if Eddie keeps our team playing like they did at home against Brighton and more recently against Villa, hopefully with players coming back and team form as well, we will be ok.

Eddie was never going anywhere in my book.

The other factor here is we are totally a club built around a manager. Other clubs aren’t (maybe Sheff U a tad but nowhere near to our extent). That makes a change a bigger risk and a new manager bounce less likely. Look at Utd after Fergie despite what they have spent and the renowned managers they recruited.

The issue for me was never Eddie it was whether he could see what was obvious formation wise. He has done that. I think if he can address wider methods on training, recruitment and fitness by shaking up his backroom team a little in the summer then he will get the results his career and dedication deserves.

Will he want to put himself through it again is the question! Let’s hope so.

Perhaps both sides were right. Those who said “stay” and those who said “go”.

Like some things in life, you have to hit rock bottom in order to start the climb. Whatever has happened in the last two weeks you could argue that it had to get as bad as it did for that to finally happen. Maybe it was the gravity and suddenly real threat of relegation and losing jobs that finally sparked something. Just hope it lasts and they don’t fall off the wagon.

Right answer was only stay imho

However it was clear that Eddie had to do something different as we were on course to finish bottom. As he has before, he usually finds a way. It may be too late of course but at least we have a fighting chance now.

It was never going to happen. Surely we’d have stayed with Eddie, even if relegated - as Burnley did with Dyche. Both know how to get out of the Championship.

Nowadays,loyalty seems to count for nothing. So many Clubs have a misguided idea of where they should be ,relative to the competition. Historically we are a 3rd tier club and we are punching way above our weight. If either Max or Eddie go,then we are stuffed.
Eddie has made plenty of mistakes but we owe him " big time". For me, and I accept that I am in a minority, he is unsackable.
Think Charlton /Curbishley...

Nowadays,loyalty seems to count for nothing. So many Clubs have a misguided idea of where they should be ,relative to the competition. Historically we are a 3rd tier club and we are punching way above our weight. If either Max or Eddie go,then we are stuffed.
Eddie has made plenty of mistakes but we owe him " big time". For me, and I accept that I am in a minority, he is unsackable.
Think Charlton /Curbishley...
I don’t think anyone should be “unsackable”. But he’s built up enough “brownie points” to deserve more loyalty than any other Premier League Manager. Or probably any
Manager in the top 4 leagues. Shame on those who were calling for his head a couple of weeks ago.

Just picked out a few quotes from fans, question is are they Villa fans after yesterday's match or AFCB fans after Watford?

There’s a pretty long list of utterly soul-destroying things about that game. It was the same gutless, incompetent non-performance that we’ve seen on countless occasions this season.

I can’t recall seeing a team who struggle to find space to such an extent. Too often, our players receive the ball under pressure and have nobody to pass to.

Embarrassing. So many games this season that shows a championship side.

You just can't let relegation rivals, take 6 points from you like this!

Passing was painfully slow and off target more often than not.

We've been shite for the past 2months. Fair enough we've picked up some results here and there but for the most part we've been awful. ;)

Just picked out a few quotes from fans, question is are they Villa fans after yesterday's match or AFCB fans after Watford?

There’s a pretty long list of utterly soul-destroying things about that game. It was the same gutless, incompetent non-performance that we’ve seen on countless occasions this season.

I can’t recall seeing a team who struggle to find space to such an extent. Too often, our players receive the ball under pressure and have nobody to pass to.

Embarrassing. So many games this season that shows a championship side.

You just can't let relegation rivals, take 6 points from you like this!

Passing was painfully slow and off target more often than not.

We've been shite for the past 2months. Fair enough we've picked up some results here and there but for the most part we've been awful. ;)

I wouldn’t swap Eddie for anyone but doesn’t stop me saying we have been crap for 2-3 months of the season.

"IF we manage to stay up it might just be another one of Eddie's outstanding achievements & we can all look back at the fact we remained proud & loyal to Eddie in HIS hour of need."
UTCIAD

Great post.

Norwich was sleeping pill. We lost to a team vastly worse than us. It was rubbish.

I was so sad when someone posted on here that they wouldn't be going to Carrow Road because of the situation. Everyone is entitled to their view, but it was said with such vitriol that I wondered if they remembered the rubbish in the '70s and early '80s, nearly ceasing to exist in the '90s and again in the noughties and then Quinn and Groves.

But after a week of some keyboard warriors demanding that Eddie go, just about everyone in the away section stayed long enough at the end to express their support. These are the fans who really count. The week-in, week-outers.

As for anyone who posts something like, "obviously lost the dressing room," I do despair of our support sometimes.

The Bournemouth spirit that got us from -17 to the Premier League came back against Brighton, was in some evidence against Arsenal and got us three points yesterday. If we keep that going, we will stay up.

Let’s be honest didn’t that poll thread someone posted have it at something like 90% wanting Eddie to stay . I don’t think any other manager in the entire country would have that level of support after the awful run we had been on which was a culmination of a malaise that had crept into the club for at least the last year or so .
Eddie has our support through thick and thin ,even the few posters that were doing the “Eddie out “thing are just showing their frustrations in what was going on in their own way .... we’re not out of the woods yet though .

Let’s be honest didn’t that poll thread someone posted have it at something like 90% wanting Eddie to stay . I don’t think any other manager in the entire country would have that level of support after the awful run we had been on which was a culmination of a malaise that had crept into the club for at least the last year or so .
Eddie has our support through thick and thin ,even the few posters that were doing the “Eddie out “thing are just showing their frustrations in what was going on in their own way .... we’re not out of the woods yet though .

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/eddie-howe.10637/

I wouldn’t swap Eddie for anyone but doesn’t stop me saying we have been crap for 2-3 months of the season.

Fair enough, but they're all quotes from the Villa forum. Reading them I was struck by the similarity to some of the posts on this forum, mine included, over the last few weeks; complaints about slow, inaccurate passing, no movement, lack of confidence, lack of energy and a manager who seems to have lost his way. Yesterday for some reason the team was full of confidence and energy and with a little bit of luck, good and bad, everything else just fell into place (bar Callum scoring).

Fair enough, but they're all quotes from the Villa forum. Reading them I was struck by the similarity to some of the posts on this forum, mine included, over the last few weeks; complaints about slow, inaccurate passing, no movement, lack of confidence, lack of energy and a manager who seems to have lost his way. Yesterday for some reason the team was full of confidence and energy and with a little bit of luck, good and bad, everything else just fell into place (bar Callum scoring).

I had assumed they were afcb comments!

Maybe it’s a statement about prem players who get too comfortable on big wages without always performing?

;