If we kept the current squad intact

redskins

First Team
I was pondering come the end of the season where we might finish compared to last. Bearing in mind that, at present, we have only lost Bonkavic and Surridge and Rico from the first team can we expect an improvement on 6th place?

Loosing a very good keeper without replacement is obviously detrimental but Travers could still step up as his confidence grows. There was a feeling among quite a lot of supporters that we should have bossed it last season with the team we had so how does any one feel now if we kept all our players from here in?
Will Parker get better consistency from the team?
Promising young players breaking through.

This is all crystal ball stuff I know but just wondered what a snap shot of gut feelings is at present?

I was pondering come the end of the season where we might finish compared to last. Bearing in mind that, at present, we have only lost Bonkavic and Surridge and Rico from the first team can we expect an improvement on 6th place?

Loosing a very good keeper without replacement is obviously detrimental but Travers could still step up as his confidence grows. There was a feeling among quite a lot of supporters that we should have bossed it last season with the team we had so how does any one feel now if we kept all our players from here in?

This is all crystal ball stuff I know but just wondered what a snap shot of gut feelings is at present?
With Pearson.... Marcondes and the likes of Kilkenny... Anthony and Zemura coming through I'd say we're stronger than we started last season....I don't know why we aren't seeing any 'anything other than top 2 is failure' predictions on here tbh..

First and foremost, I want entertainment and commitment from the players.

Second, I would like no silly lapses of concentration in defence.

Third, I would like determined and varied attacking play that results in goals.

And if we win promotion, this is what I'll sing...

We haven’t yet had a chance to see the strength of the other teams in this division. Also there might be more improvements before end August. Let’s hope so.

First and foremost, I want entertainment and commitment from the players.

Second, I would like no silly lapses of concentration in defence.

Third, I would like determined and varied attacking play that results in goals.

And if we win promotion, this is what I'll sing...
I think you're going to need a chorus.

I don't know why we aren't seeing any 'anything other than top 2 is failure' predictions on here tbh..
maybe because they are more consistent and better teams in the league. I think we will get top six but top 2 will be hard, personally I would say we are slightly weaker this season but will have to wait until end of window to know for sure

I was thinking the same, so put together a comparison that I posted to the "players coming in" thread.

For me it does make the case that we match up well, and we have a big enough squad already, so just means we need to replace anyone with someone of equivalent quality for their whole season contribution last year.

For example we may not have CCV but he played half a season and Kelly covers that now we have Davis and Zemura to backfill him and Rico at left back.

We may have lost Surridge but he played so few minutes that Saydee hasn't got to live up to much.

Anthony and Stanislas compares well to Stanislas and Roro.

The only unknown is Arnie and even he didn't play that many games , plus if we get an injury to Dom, because every other position has cover due to rotation that keeps everyone fresh. We are really only one signing away and could even live without a couple that are stacking up in some positions.

No reason to hope for top 6 again.

I guess from a manager and back room staff point of view we are more settled than last season. Hopefully that might help with the focus of the players too.
Mat take a little time to initiate tweaks to style of play?
I would hope a top six is on the cards and a gradual improvement through the

The current squad + a goalkeeper would be pretty strong. Without a goalkeeper I think it'll be a year too soon to challenge.

Just can't see us keeping Danjuma though, and that's a lot of goals to lose. So we need a keeper, plus a forward-come-winger (maybe one of both).

The current squad + a goalkeeper would be pretty strong. Without a goalkeeper I think it'll be a year too soon to challenge.

Just can't see us keeping Danjuma though, and that's a lot of goals to lose. So we need a keeper, plus a forward-come-winger (maybe one of both).

Still think we need a 'keeper, centre back, attacking wide player (to replace Danjuma) and a striker.

Lose Solanke and we're relying on Saydee, which might not be a bad thing as its far too early to tell but I would guess not many teams get promoted to the Premier League on the back of goals from a 19 year old who had never featured prior to that season.

With Pearson.... Marcondes and the likes of Kilkenny... Anthony and Zemura coming through I'd say we're stronger than we started last season....I don't know why we aren't seeing any 'anything other than top 2 is failure' predictions on here tbh..

We’re arguably stronger in certain areas, but severally lacking in others. We’ve gone from an international keeper to a relative youth with very few games under his belt, we’ve lost an international defender in CCV, and we’ve gone from 3 strikers to 1. Additionally we’re all expecting our best attacking asset by far last season to leave the club.

If Danjuma stayed, we signed at least 1 striker, a keeper and another defender then I think you’d see far more of the “anything but top 2 is a failure” comments. As it is right now we’re lacking in some key areas for that to be the case,

I guess from a manager and back room staff point of view we are more settled than last season. Hopefully that might help with the focus of the players too.
Mat take a little time to initiate tweaks to style of play?
I would hope a top six is on the cards and a gradual improvement through the

I think this will be the big difference, certainly from the players point of view. The club have made a statement by finally appointing a permanent manager so the players know where they stand, which was not the case last season.

We’re arguably stronger in certain areas, but severally lacking in others. We’ve gone from an international keeper to a relative youth with very few games under his belt,/QUOTE]

Travers is an international goalkeeper. He's represented the ROI at senior level, and will undoubtedly do so many more times.

Goalkeeper - quite a worry. Travers can make impressive saves but is hesitant with high balls and rarely intervenes far from his goal-line. This does not promote confidence in the defence, which is a new set-up. Plus - an injury to Travers leaves us with a completely untried player.

Goalie is surely top of the list for recruitment - it would make a big difference if we can get Woodman into the squad.

I echo the sentiments re; entertainment and effort. Will be good to see some of the fringe players getting a start. Whether we are good enough/ prepared enough/ strong enough to be pushing for promotion remains to be seen but we should certainly be laying foundations to sustain many years in the championship , at least

We haven’t yet had a chance to see the strength of the other teams in this division. Also there might be more improvements before end August. Let’s hope so.

Lots of pundits writing off most teams except us and the 3 relegated teams, mainly due to the gulf in budget. Easy to say after last season too.

I think the league will be far tougher than that.

Keeper is the real worry. Even if Travers is played I feel we could do with a late in career experienced keeper to encourage and make Travers more competitive.
The youngsters coming in look good and if they can keep their form for the season then I think top six is not a problem.

;