Increase in the price of fuel

hba1

Fans' Favourite
In Jan 2020 the coach price for the away game to Sheffield United was £27 season ticket holders £29 non season ticket holders. The price for this season's trip is £55 all travellers.

Fuel may well have increased in price but I suspect Jim's hand in this journey cost doubling.

In Jan 2020 the coach price for the away game to Sheffield United was £27 season ticket holders £29 non season ticket holders. The price for this season's trip is £55 all travellers.

Fuel may well have increased in price but I suspect Jim's hand in this journey cost doubling.

Despite the wholesale cost of petrol and diesel falling in January, the average prices charged at the pumps of the UK’s four biggest supermarkets actually increased every day until a cut was finally announced at the end of the month, according to data from RAC Fuel Watch*.

The wholesale price of unleaded fell by over 4p (4.23p), and diesel by a whopping 7.5p, across the month, dropping from 97.22p – before delivery, retailer margin and VAT – at the start of January to 92.98p at the end. Diesel went from 102.26p to 94.74p.

This should have led to a price reduction at the pumps during January, but instead retailers put their prices up leading to the second consecutive monthly rise of both fuels. The average UK price of petrol now stands at 127.60p – up a penny (0.92p) from the beginning of January (126.68p). Diesel also increased by a penny (0.96p) to 132.04p from 131.08p. At the supermarkets, however, unleaded averages 123.69p (up 1.51p) and diesel 128.14p (up 1.30p).

Not sure what insurance costs either, but thats gone/going up by 30/40% too for many people.

I am puzzled when petrol / diesel pump prices increase due to various world events etc. But the prices don't fall at the same speed as they went up when world events settle down.

The price of fuel hasn’t doubled since 2020, and drivers' wages certainly haven't either.

Just another cynical, petty example of ripping off the most loyal, dedicated fans.

Stoke City offer FREE away coach travel to all their fans. Why do you think they do that, Jim ?

The price of fuel hasn’t doubled since 2020, and drivers' wages certainly haven't either.

Just another cynical, petty example of ripping off the most loyal, dedicated fans.

Stoke City offer FREE away coach travel to all their fans. Why do you think they do that, Jim ?
Back in 2019-2020 when away coach travel was subsidised by the club, I went to loads of matches up to the last one before the Covid lockdown. In 2021-22, I went to far fewer as it was harder because of the increased expense. I've always enjoyed away matches more than home ones because the atmosphere is simply better. Last season I didn't go to any away matches because I just couldn't justify the expense with everything else going up. Now the club is in a much better financial situation than in 2021-22, it can well afford to subsidise away coach travel again to encourage loyal support from fans. But, that's not what Bill's about.

Back in 2019-2020 when away coach travel was subsidised by the club, I went to loads of matches up to the last one before the Covid lockdown. In 2021-22, I went to far fewer as it was harder because of the increased expense. I've always enjoyed away matches more than home ones because the atmosphere is simply better. Last season I didn't go to any away matches because I just couldn't justify the expense with everything else going up. Now the club is in a much better financial situation than in 2021-22, it can well afford to subsidise away coach travel again to encourage loyal support from fans. But, that's not what Bill's about.
I think that’s the whole point. Loyal, lifelong fans are a burden and get in the way of generating new income. I guess Bill knows that we will always support our team, come what may, so he is willing to treat us with contempt while coming up with new, expensive ideas to encourage more wealth.

As I mentioned on another thread it is no good moaning, our fans have to educate our American owners and Jim that the English football fan is a very different animal to what goes on in the States with all their razzmatazz.

This article is through the eyes of two Americans who came over to watch our football and basically how an English football fan ‘ticks’ and supports their club.

This section is about fans who travel to away games.

5) Collective experience: Football is not consumed alone. From the gathering at the local pub pre-match, to the standing and singing for 90 minutes (12,000 strong in the Kop at Liverpool, for example), you share in the misery and joy of being a fan of your local club. The presence of the team in towns like Leeds or Liverpool is palpable – and it dominates almost all gatherings.

A subset of this characteristic is the away game experience. With the longest possible drive across England being 8 hours (and a robust public transportation infrastructure) it is quite possible to travel to every away match in a day. Here again, fans travel together by train or on a bus (run by the club and quite often subsidized or free), so it is not unusual to see literally thousands of away fans at a match, again collectively standing and singing their support.

While there are many similarities to fans across the globe, there are some cultural and geographic differences in England that make the true football fan a fascinating part of the very fabric of what makes England so unique.

Last edited:
Another interesting article.

UK vs US: Distraction Action

jumbotron emirates stadium england distraction
About as much pregame distraction as you get at an English game.

Before games in England you get a lot of announcements and ads on the big screen – if the stadium has one, and most do. And there’s often an on-field announcer whom everyone ignores. During the game? Nothing. They won’t even show a replay if it might piss anybody off.

I know of just one club, Crystal Palace, that has a dance team. I know of more than that with no scoreboard!

In the US, you get some sponsorship messages here and there, but it’s much better than the nonsense at an NBA or NFL game. English people love that stuff, by the way; they think it’s like going to a circus. Me, I give an edge to the UK here. Leave me alone and let me watch the game!

Last edited:

;