January transfer window 2023, what do we need?

I know some may have said that, but there was enough 'noise' around Moore that indicated he could make the step up as a late bloomer. Wolves almost signed him a few months before us. He has a lot to his game, he's not just a limited target man.

Dembele is one dimensional and limited as a winger. I haven't seen, heard, or read anything that indicates Dembele has enough about him to make the grade at this level. If desperate, perhaps worth bringing on for 20 mins here and there as a wild card option. But imo he simply doesn;t have enough about him to pose a real threat, consistently, at this level. And thats all his game is about. We need to sign better wingers/attacking midfielders as one of the top priorities imo.

Theres the argument of maybe he will stepup if given the chance, but some players simply have a ceiling limit, and the fact we're not seeing him more regularly - Parker nor O'Neil play him, confirms my suspicion that he's simply not good enough for this level and never will be imo.

We've seen plenty of players over the years at all levels, including younsgsters that looked decent in a few appearcances, who then disappeared into leagues further down the pyramids. Many can look decent in bursts, but everything I know about Dembele indicates he's not cut out for performing consistently at an effective level in PL football. I don;t care how fast or exciting he looks.
The key part of that entire post is where you say you haven’t seen, heard or read anything to suggest that he’s good enough. That’s the point, we haven’t seen enough of him to know! How you can label somebody one dimensional based on a few appearances here and there and then entirely on what you’ve read and heard is madness to me! But we will clearly not agree on this. And tbh even if he is one dimensional, it’s still one more dimension than Christie has so he should still be ahead in the pecking order…

The key part of that entire post is where you say you haven’t seen, heard or read anything to suggest that he’s good enough. That’s the point, we haven’t seen enough of him to know! How you can label somebody one dimensional based on a few appearances here and there and then entirely on what you’ve read and heard is madness to me! But we will clearly not agree on this. And tbh even if he is one dimensional, it’s still one more dimension than Christie has so he should still be ahead in the pecking order…

But that is the point. There is no evidence that indicates he has enough in his locker to stepup. Plus 2 managers have barely played him (Parkers input pushing it of course, but he couldn;t hold down a slot last year, in the lower division.) My comment meant not that I know nothing about him, but that what I do know about him backsup (albeit an armchair fans views) that he doesn;t have what it takes. They seem him in action most days in training, he does have good pace and flair, which is a valuable set of attributes, if the player isn;t lacking too much in other areas. I doubt O'Neil/Parker think 'he's too fast and creative for the way we want to play', (although I have little doubt some will use that as ammo for a joke/dig at the managers expense...) and as we lack pace, that tells me the rest of his game is too weak for this level, despite having excellent pace... otherwise, why not use him more?

Not every player has the ability or potential to stepup, and no, I don;t think everyone does deserve a chance for the sake of it. I trust people that work with him, coupled what I know about him, to draw the conclusion he simply isn;t good enough for this level.

Watch where he lands, it will be a Championbship club or a micky mouse league, like Turkey. There'll be zero premier league interest in him. He'll move on for a few mill, if he was close to being good enough/or potential for being an effective player at this level, a PL side would gobble him up. I hold the same views about Lowe. They both are in their mid/late twenties and won;t get any better than they currently are... hit a firm ceiling. Championship is that ceiling, and good luck to them when they move on. It isn't going to happen here.

Last edited:
In answer to the OP's original question of what do we need, in my view we need to try and get Lerma, Zemura and Anthony to sign new contracts - and if we could somehow re-sign Danjuma as well, then I think that that would be a very successful January transfer window indeed!

In answer to the OP's original question of what do we need, in my view we need to try and get Lerma, Zemura and Anthony to sign new contracts - and if we could somehow re-sign Danjuma as well, then I think that that would be a very successful January transfer window indeed!

Agree.

Plus it what be somewhat amusing seeing @Old Cherry constantly misspell his name.

But that is the point. There is no evidence that indicates he has enough in his locker to stepup. Plus 2 managers have barely played him (Parkers input pushing it of course, but he couldn;t hold down a slot last year, in the lower division.) My comment meant not that I know nothing about him, but that what I do know about him backsup (albeit an armchair fans views) that he doesn;t have what it takes. They seem him in action most days in training, he does have good pace and flair, which is a valuable set of attributes, if the player isn;t lacking too much in other areas. I doubt O'Neil/Parker think 'he's too fast and creative for the way we want to play', (although I have little doubt some will use that as ammo for a joke/dig at the managers expense...) and as we lack pace, that tells me the rest of his game is too weak for this level, despite having excellent pace... otherwise, why not use him more?

Not every player has the ability or potential to stepup, and no, I don;t think everyone does deserve a chance for the sake of it. I trust people that work with him, coupled what I know about him, to draw the conclusion he simply isn;t good enough for this level.

Watch where he lands, it will be a Championbship club or a micky mouse league, like Turkey. There'll be zero premier league interest in him. He'll move on for a few mill, if he was close to being good enough/or potential for being an effective player at this level, a PL side would gobble him up. I hold the same views about Lowe. They both are in their mid/late twenties and won;t get any better than they currently are... hit a firm ceiling. Championship is that ceiling, and good luck to them when they move on. It isn't going to happen here.

if he’s not good enough for this level why sign him? Just a question !

if he’s not good enough for this level why sign him? Just a question !

was thinking that when we signed him. very good signing for most champ level clubs, particularly as an option from the bench.

but from what I knew, seemed a strange one in terms of longevity... as doubted his ability to be a PL level player/make impact at that level.

*from what I understand he's on around 25k a week as well, so we'll probably end up having to somewhat subsidize his wage I expect when he does move on. iirc that may have been an issue with the turkish club that he spoke to in the summer. although may have collapsed eventually due to us not signing Redmond or whoever else. whether the board agreed with signing him to strengthen our hand in getting promotion and not much else, or were they under the impression Parker regarded him as someone to use in the PL should we have gone up...? May have been one of the issues around Parker and transfers, transfter policy back in the summer? Who knows.

All speculation of course, just blurting out some thoughts on it all.

Last edited:
A quick energetic forward, a right back, Cucurella has had time to perm his hair three times this half, and a goalkeeper.

We need a new director of football who won’t sign the dross (relative to the league we want to be in) we’ve signed since Eddie left.

About half a squad if he wants to stay up.

Oneill will be sacked faster than Tindall.
O’Neil will be sacked due to being out of his depth, nothing to do with squad quality (we certainly need additions.) Just hope Foley realises his mistake before we get cut adrift.

Bet you had to Google that :D.

Groeneveld is a tough word to recall/spell correctly for most in UK I'd have thought!

I've known his full - name(s) and spelling from the start ...
Spelling comes easy for me..right from about 2 and a half to 3 years old when I taught myself to read.

..I was Royal Navy Scrabble Champion in 1975 at a tournament in Portsmouth ..I beat a high ranking and educated Officer in the Final. .
.not to say though that I never make errors..but seldom...I'm not so good at word- games now though as they have progressed to more advanced levels and i'm getting more forgetful !

I've been the star of many a pub quiz too over the decades.

I mess up Grammar frequently. .but thats usually deliberate within my Forum Wind-Up experiments !

I've known his full - name(s) and spelling from the start ...
Spelling comes easy for me..right from about 2 and a half to 3 years old when I taught myself to read.

..I was Royal Navy Scrabble Champion in 1975 at a tournament in Portsmouth ..I beat a high ranking and educated Officer in the Final. .
.not to say though that I never make errors..but seldom...I'm not so good at word- games now though as they have progressed to more advanced levels and i'm getting more forgetful !

I've been the star of many a pub quiz too over the decades.

I mess up Grammar frequently. .but thats usually deliberate within my Forum Wind-Up experiments !

Well yes, it's more that fact its an unusual combination of letters for English people, rather than a general spelling aptitude thing.

Did you jettison the high ranking officer overboard. Love that word btw, totally forgot about it until you mentioned it the other day. Cracked me up. In fact that post was one of the funniest things I've read in ages. Lord Nelson Eye and severed arm :D top notch.

Well yes, it's more that fact its an unusual combination of letters for English people, rather than a general spelling aptitude thing.

Did you jettison the high ranking officer overboard. Love that word btw, totally forgot about it until you mentioned it the other day. Cracked me up.

Yep it sort of rolls off the tongue and tends to suit a lot of situations...a bit more sophisticated than say ... 'bin '. Sea-faring related words and phrases form a large part of our language..we being an island race as such !

;