Jefferson Lerma

If he ends up at palace just seems weird all round, are we really offering significantly less money than they are? Why go from one non big 6 PL club where you are a firm favourite to another similar level club. It's not like he's going to have any more chance of winning something there than he would have at AFCB.

Yep exactly. As I''ve mentioned before, perhaps wife/he wants to be near London as friends/family in the city, plus other benefits the city brings to some.

Can;t believe they;ve offered him so much more than we did. We had the Palace fan on the other day saying Zaha is on 120k iirc, and other decent 1st teams on half that, so the 150k for Lerma likely includes signing on fee. Which tbh when you factor we'll likely have pay 10-30 mill to replace him, plus signing on fee and wage, hard to imagine palace vastly outbid us? And unless they're about to go crazy and sign a load of top tier players to press for top 6, they're arent going to be a better bet than us for next year, given everything we seem to have on the horizion??

Unless we decided he's only worth xyz to us, as although a decent player, not necessarily the right fit for what we're ideally looking to implement going forwards. So maybe we said sorry this is final offer, take or leave it. Who knows but seems unlikely for football reasons - they dont even have a manager ffs :D.

Maybe he just fancies a few nights out in Croydon? They have a tram system you know, that's got to appeal more than a nice car park

Why are people saying we have to spend 25m to replace?
Can't we get someone else who is out of contract? OK, signing on fee to factor in, but no different to paying Jeff a signing on fee either.
Player benefits whether they stay or go, the 'fee' just goes to them rather than the club

Maybe he just fancies a few nights out in Croydon? They have a tram system you know, that's got to appeal more than a nice car park

:D Not sure about Croydon, but I had a night out in (West?) Norwood before.

Far cry from what people think of when they envisage a night out in London... some sh1tty club called Caesars,think it was 10 or 20 quid, all you could drink on a Saturday night. Awful.

:D Not sure about Croydon, but I had a night out in (West?) Norwood before.

Far cry from what people think of when they envisage a night out in London... some sh1tty club called Caesars,think it was 10 or 20 quid, all you could drink on a Saturday night. Awful.
Not the best part of London by any stretch, but he can live near and be in a much nicer area.

Not the best part of London by any stretch, but he can live near and be in a much nicer area.

:D yeah of course, I didn't envisage Jeff living in some crappy street in a rundown part of London.

I was just babbling away.

This debate has come up many times over the years, not so much since PL days though for some reason... but reality is most professionals will go where the money is, or opportunity to win stuff - short career after all.

Most don;t give a sh1t about the beach and how nice some of us think Bmouth is compared to rest of the country. Evidence is quite clear.

In fact at my daughters school, can think of several parents who really miss London and preferred it to here after they moved from the city (or close suburbs) when they started a family 8 years or so back. Obviously plenty feel the opposite too.

Footballers have short careers. Jeff has spent 5 years of his at our tinpot club and has served us well. He now wants to go somewhere else, good luck to him. Who knows how hard we tried to keep him. We've had some good recruitment recently, so I'm looking forward to seeing how we replace him.

Yeah, we can be confident we'll sign someone somewhat decent imo. Not like the League 1 days where we'd lose a key player for 50-100k, and you'd hope some random youngster signed on a free wouldn't be a dud (like most were).

Interesting how he continued to play, whilst Zemura was ostracized.

Not that it matters, but wonder if club knew he was leaving months back and all parties kept under wraps?

Hardly a great indictment of the club tbh, going to one of the most boring, unappealing PL clubs I can think of, in terms of future prsopects, but is probably just personal choice around lifestyle and money, rather than everyone jumping ship at first opportunity... not like we're having issues attracting others.

So f*** em :D

Good luck Jeff, will be talking about on here when discussing best DMC we've had/dream teams for decades, maybe. Popular and liked by most of us.
COWS article says during contract talks lerma outlined he wanted a fresh challenge….taken at face value then surely must have been unlikely that Jeff would sign another deal?

Daughter very upset today !

COWS article says during contract talks lerma outlined he wanted a fresh challenge….taken at face value then surely must have been unlikely that Jeff would sign another deal?

Daughter very upset today !

Yeah, 5 years 'service' in this era is now mean feat. Actually feel a little sad about this one tbh, now its formalized Almost like an amicable breakup (without wanting to be too dramatic, I'll blame it on the 1 hour sleep I had last night) :D>

No hard feelings from either party. Go separate ways with level of respect.

Do we think he was always going to leave from the moment contracts weren’t being signed, or was he genuinely unsure of what he was going to do up until like a few weeks ago? I kind of get the vibe that he was always set on leaving especially when we were playing crap, but that our resurgence and early safety might’ve given him cause to think about it more.

In a way, by comparison, is what Zemura did really that much worse? Point blank honesty, I don’t want to sign another deal, I’m going to leave. By all accounts from what I’ve heard he was still happy to play if called upon unlike Fraser. But we took the stance of not wanting to play him which is fair. If the club knew Lerma was probably leaving, it’s a smidge hypocritical imo. He’s obviously a more important, more experienced player.

;