Just got back

ErikthViking

UTC Legend
Although the word, just is relative. I had to clear some snow, fill up the bird feeders, put some washing in, eat, drink, blahdy, blahdy, blah, blah.

The bus from Brixton to Norwood Junction (an otherwise excellent tip) took almost twice as long as scheduled due to the extra traffic on the roads. I missed the start.

So, eight trains in England. Five were cancelled, and only one of the other three was on time. The sum total of delays: eight and one quarter hours. To avoid being late again, I arrived in Manchester almost four hours before KO time and walked from Oxford Road to the ground.

I got soaked to the skin (not literally, actually) on three consecutive days in the north of England. There is a saying in Sweden, “there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.” Whoever came up with that gem had not witnessed a gale sweeping in from the Irish Sea… and then another and then another.

Somehow, though, it didn’t turn out too bad.

I was filled with optimism from the win at Sheff U. I had correctly predicted the Bramall Lane score in front of 65 witnesses beforehand and delighted in showing them a pic of the scoreboard when I got back. I should have put a bet on.

At Copenhagen Airport, I get the gate and there's this guy who, seeing my Bournemouth scarf, comes up to me and asks, ‘can I take a picture for Facebook.’ Fame at last! ‘Yeah, OK,’ I say.

I see him on the plane and there's no one sat in his row, so I decide to go and have a chat with him. This is the short version. He has been in Denmark visiting relatives and he has a long history of football in Poole and Bournemouth including at AFCB and Poole Town. For a while, he up on hill lived in the same street as my Gran, “Up on Hill” as Upper Parkstone was, and still is, known. For a long time, we worked with my Gran's brother, therefore my great uncle, at Poole Town. He also knew a family who lived within 50 yards of my home in Waterloo Estate and countless other people. His involvement in local football in the ‘70s and ‘80s meant that he knows many of the players from that era and still meets up with them. The 2-hour flight went incredibly quickly. We connected on Facebook and later he sent me a mass of photos. This man is a treasure trove of memories and pictures.

The match you have either heard about, watched on TV or you were there. I missed the first ten minutes. Five of those were because of the extra journey time and there were a couple of thousand outside the Holmesdale Rd end who had similar travel difficulties. I missed the next five minutes recovering from having run from Norwood Junction. It wasn't surprising that I needed the time to get my breath back, the amazing thing is that I am still able to run!

It was only the second win that I have witnessed at Selhurst Park, an unlucky ground for us since February 2016. It was highly satisfying as, just like with Sheff U at Bramall Lane, you never really thought that Palace were gonna do it. It wasn't just that Palace were shíte, there was an enormous air of confidence in our side. The defence did an superb job of protecting Neto and, when he was called upon to make a save, they were brilliant. Keiffer Moore, scoring right in front of us, hastened the exit of the Palace fans and truly was the icing on the cake of a fine evening.

On the bus back to Brixton there were two Swedish-speaking Palace fans behind me. I cannot recall from recent memory two people talking such utter garbage: everyone, and everything, else was to blame. The referee, the post, bad luck, our unsporting play, etc. I was very tempted to say to them that just because you think that no one can understand what you're saying, it doesn't give you the licence to bullshít. Instead, I stayed quietly amused at two rather bitter blokes making their way home.

Between matches I got soaked twice and delayed twice. The highlight of the inter match period was
securing a couple of decent Christmas puds and a packet of shredded wheat to take home.

If United managed to stay up this season, and you have the legs for it, then I would recommend walking along the canal from the city centre to Old Trafford. When the weather is nice, it's a very pleasant walk. It also avoids the football tourists on the trams. You can't dodge them outside Old Trafford, though, and I think the irony is that they buy half and half scarves and 50% of their prized momento has our teams name on it. I will come back to that.

I don't think there's anything that I can say about what happened on the pitch that hasn't already been said. Many of you are much better at commenting on those things than I am. Either we were making so much noise that we couldn't hear 90% of Old Trafford make any noise at all or 90% of Old Trafford didn't make any noise at all. To their credit, the group of United fans to our left kept up quite a reasonable amount of singing until the 68th minute when even they gave up. It was remarkable that they seemed to have strong Mancunian accents but quite weird that most of their songs seem to be about players from the 70s, 80s and 90s. I wonder what today's crop of United players think about the supporters ignoring them and singing for 10 minutes about a player who last wore a red shirt more than a quarter of a century ago.

It was great to catch up with some folks at half time and at the final whistle, some of whom I haven't seen for ages despite the fact that we've both attended many of the same matches. I guess that it is not surprising given that our away support is at least 1000 or so for every away match. At half time, my match analysis was that we were playing four Steve Cooks. I don't know how many blocks our defensive players made but they sure as heck stopped United getting close to goal. There was commitment, passion energy, determination, oh I could write a long list. That was the big difference between United and us.

The last 20 minutes of singing alone would rank this as one of the greatest matches. What do all those United fans do with the extra 10 to 15 minutes saved by leaving early?

To think that we had to settle for only winning three-nil, is a good reflection on our performance at the Theatre of Dreams. We now know it's called that because most of the attendees use their half and half scarves as pillows to have a snooze for 90 minutes. Outside, I joked to the scarf sellers that they won't sell many more half and halves now and wouldn't it have been a better investment to have just stocked up with Bournemouth scarves. One of our supporters behind me, offered to buy me a scarf but I'd already decided that I was going to get one myself. I negotiated a knockdown price. I'll never wear it but I'm going to put it somewhere where I can see it regularly to remind me of the day and date when we went to Old Trafford and were disappointed only to be allowed a three goals margin of victory!

Not even getting soaked through again, spending an hour at Manchester Victoria and yet another one at Wigan North Western could dampen my spirts. Arriving four and a quarter hour’s late at my accommodation and missing MOTD did not matter. Never mind the talk of history being made, it marks a corner being turned. We have beaten and drawn with three clubs in the top six in recent weeks we are top of the form table over the past five matches. Only Fulham have scored more, over the last five and no team have conceded fewer.

I am more than happy with my own personal recent form table. Attended 3, Won 3, Scored 8, Conceded 1.

A couple of pics from Saturday (sorry about the quality):

Man U 3.jpg

Man U 4.jpg

Anyone got a pic of the scoreboard at full time?

Last edited:
I used to live 'up on the hill' and I recently discovered that Poole Harbour used to be called The Dorset Lake which I think is far better than aforementioned Poole Harbour. UTCIAD

Although the word, just is relative. I had to clear some snow, fill up the bird feeders, put some washing in, eat, drink, blahdy, blahdy, blah, blah.

The bus from Brixton to Norwood Junction (an otherwise excellent tip) took almost twice as long as scheduled due to the extra traffic on the roads. I missed the start.

So, eight trains in England. Five were cancelled, and only one of the other three was on time. The sum total of delays: eight and one quarter hours. To avoid being late again, I arrived in Manchester almost four hours before KO time and walked from Oxford Road to the ground.

I got soaked to the skin (not literally, actually) on three consecutive days in the north of England. There is a saying in Sweden, “there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.” Whoever came up with that gem had not witnessed a gale sweeping in from the Irish Sea… and then another and then another.

Somehow, though, it didn’t turn out too bad.

I was filled with optimism from the win at Sheff U. I had correctly predicted the Bramall Lane score in front of 65 witnesses beforehand and delighted in showing them a pic of the scoreboard when I got back. I should have put a bet on.

At Copenhagen Airport, I get the gate and there's this guy who, seeing my Bournemouth scarf, comes up to me and asks, ‘can I take a picture for Facebook.’ Fame at last! ‘Yeah, OK,’ I say.

I see him on the plane and there's no one sat in his row, so I decide to go and have a chat with him. This is the short version. He has been in Denmark visiting relatives and he has a long history of football in Poole and Bournemouth including at AFCB and Poole Town. For a while, he up on hill lived in the same street as my Gran, “Up on Hill” as Upper Parkstone was, and still is, known. For a long time, we worked with my Gran's brother, therefore my great uncle, at Poole Town. He also knew a family who lived within 50 yards of my home in Waterloo Estate and countless other people. His involvement in local football in the ‘70s and ‘80s meant that he knows many of the players from that era and still meets up with them. The 2-hour flight went incredibly quickly. We connected on Facebook and later he sent me a mass of photos. This man is a treasure trove of memories and pictures.

The match you have either heard about, watched on TV or you were there. I missed the first ten minutes. Five of those were because of the extra journey time and there were a couple of thousand outside the Holmesdale Rd end who had similar travel difficulties. I missed the next five minutes recovering from having run from Norwood Junction. It wasn't surprising that I needed the time to get my breath back, the amazing thing is that I am still able to run!

It was only the second win that I have witnessed at Selhurst Park, an unlucky ground for us since February 2016. It was highly satisfying as, just like with Sheff U at Bramall Lane, you never really thought that Palace were gonna do it. It wasn't just that Palace were shíte, there was an enormous air of confidence in our side. The defence did an superb job of protecting Neto and, when he was called upon to make a save, they were brilliant. Keiffer Moore, scoring right in front of us, hastened the exit of the Palace fans and truly was the icing on the cake of a fine evening.

On the bus back to Brixton there were two Swedish-speaking Palace fans behind me. I cannot recall from recent memory two people talking such utter garbage: everyone, and everything, else was to blame. The referee, the post, bad luck, our unsporting play, etc. I was very tempted to say to them that just because you think that no one can understand what you're saying, it doesn't give you the licence to bullshít. Instead, I stayed quietly amused at two rather bitter blokes making their way home.

Between matches I got soaked twice and delayed twice. The highlight of the inter match period was
securing a couple of decent Christmas puds and a packet of shredded wheat to take home.

If United managed to stay up this season, and you have the legs for it, then I would recommend walking along the canal from the city centre to Old Trafford. When the weather is nice, it's a very pleasant walk. It also avoids the football tourists on the trams. You can't dodge them outside Old Trafford, though, and I think the irony is that they buy half and half scarves and 50% of their prized momento has our teams name on it. I will come back to that.

I don't think there's anything that I can say about what happened on the pitch that hasn't already been said. Many of you are much better at commenting on those things than I am. Either we were making so much noise that we couldn't hear 90% of Old Trafford make any noise at all or 90% of Old Trafford didn't make any noise at all. To their credit, the group of United fans to our left kept up quite a reasonable amount of singing until the 68th minute when even they gave up. It was remarkable that they seemed to have strong Mancunian accents but quite weird that most of their songs seem to be about players from the 70s, 80s and 90s. I wonder what today's crop of United players think about the supporters ignoring them and singing for 10 minutes about a player who last wore a red shirt more than a quarter of a century ago.

It was great to catch up with some folks at half time and at the final whistle, some of whom I haven't seen for ages despite the fact that we've both attended many of the same matches. I guess that it is not surprising given that our away support is at least 1000 or so for every away match. At half time, my match analysis was that we were playing four Steve Cooks. I don't know how many blocks our defensive players made but they sure as heck stopped United getting close to goal. There was commitment, passion energy, determination, oh I could write a long list. That was the big difference between United and us.

The last 20 minutes of singing alone would rank this as one of the greatest matches. What do all those United fans do with the extra 10 to 15 minutes saved by leaving early?

To think that we had to settle for only winning three-nil, is a good reflection on our performance at the Theatre of Dreams. We now know it's called that because most of the attendees use their half and half scarves as pillows to have a snooze for 90 minutes. Outside, I joked to the scarf sellers that they won't sell many more half and halves now and wouldn't it have been a better investment to have just stocked up with Bournemouth scarves. One of our supporters behind me, offered to buy me a scarf but I'd already decided that I was going to get one myself. I negotiated a knockdown price. I'll never wear it but I'm going to put it somewhere where I can see it regularly to remind me of the day and date when we went to Old Trafford and were disappointed only to be allowed a three goals margin of victory!

Not even getting soaked through again, spending an hour at Manchester Victoria and yet another one at Wigan North Western could dampen my spirts. Arriving four and a quarter hour’s late at my accommodation and missing MOTD did not matter. Never mind the talk of history being made, it marks a corner being turned. We have beaten and drawn with three clubs in the top six in recent weeks we are top of the form table over the past five matches. Only Fulham have scored more, over the last five and no team have conceded fewer.

I am more than happy with my own personal recent form table. Attended 3, Won 3, Scored 8, Conceded 1.

A couple of pics from Saturday (sorry about the quality):

View attachment 12684

View attachment 12685

Anyone got a pic of the scoreboard at full time?
Brilliant report !
I grew up on Waterloo estate myself by the way !
I hope to make it back to the BH postcode to watch a game again myself someday but various obstacles are currently insurmountable for me.
It makes your account of such a trip all the more fascinating to me though. Maybe when we get a new stadium with capacity to spare, the idea of coming to the odd game will seem more achievable.
Thanks for sharing your experiences !

Great piece of writing Erik from a dedicated long distance supporter. Good to see you at both Palace and ManU. Hope you enjoyed your time over hear, I reckon the football would have helped. Boscombe winning 0-3 at Old Trafford in a league match ( and it should have been at least 1 more ), it's incredible to myself and The Good Lady. It must be way beyond that to you "Lifers". Almost back down to earth on Saturday with the "Tinpot derby" against the hatters : )

Ps Lifers - Lifelong Boscombe supporters, been around for ever, staying for longer. No time off for good, bad or indifferent behaviour. It's easier to change your head than change your club : )

Love the sign next to the score board "...ing of the Stretford End".
Suggestions on a postcard as to what the first 4 letters are.

*I know it's "of" not "off" but artistic licence at play.

I think it is a K for King of the Stretford End Sir Bobby

I don't suppose there are many of us who have to clear a foot of snow off the car in order to go to football. That was exactly what I had to do on Friday morning. I allowed double the usual amount of time to get to the station but it wasn't needed. The farmers have been out with their snow ploughs and the roads were gritted and salted. Everything went according to plan and by nightfall I was esconced in my Premier Inn at Terminal 4 at Heathrow. Before anybody gets too green, environmentally green that is, I drove to the station in an electric car and Swedish Railways runs on electricity from renewable sources.

Matchday started off by taking the new Elizabeth Line in to London. It's a Fair bit faster than taking the Piccadilly Line and it has much nicer seats. I got off at Tottenham Court Road and decided that I was going to walk down to the Embankment. That meant going via Soho, Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square. I must have walked this route hundreds of times over the years and I got to know it fairly well. I haven't walked it recently, though. There have been a lot of changes. Berwick Street Market has gone, quite a lot of the old sex industry has disappeared and there are a huge number of new coffee shops selling rather expensive breakfasts. Soho used to be an oasis of affordability in the middle of London. No more.

I did a detour through Gerrard Street to see Chinatown on the day of the Lunar New Year. There is also been explosion of Japanese places selling udon and ramen. None of them are cheap as they would be in Tokyo

By the time I got if I was Square Trafalgar Square, my shirt and scarf had attracted a number of supporters of other teams. The first were a couple of fans of West Brom. Instead of going to Ipswich for the lunch time kickoff they were in town to see Frank Skinner who apparently was appearing live that evening. Then there was a Leeds supporter who was in London for a family do when he'd much rather be at Elland Road. The Burnley supporter had no desire to go to anfield and watch his team get smashed. We discussed where was the best place in Burnley for a Bene and hot or a butter pie. The conclusion was the Miner's Welfare and the market, respectively.

All very friendly stuff. No one likes VAR or changing kick-off times to suit television. No surprise there.

I decided to take a South Western trains from Waterloo to Putney which probably wasn't the best decision because the train quickly became rammed with people who are going to watch the egg chasers. They were disgustingly intransigent when I tried to get off at Putney and incredibly rude.

Even before that, though, I encountered a gaggle of rather pissed-up Gillingham supporters at Waterloo East. I have no idea where they were going to watch their team play and I have not even the slightest curiosity to find out. Unlike the previous encounters the other side of the Thames, they were just a bunch of complete morons. I let them do their inane, 'we hate Bournemouth' tirade and simply came back with, 'I look forward to seeing Gillingham on Match of the day tonight.', I really dislike it when supporters of any club do that 'we'll never play you again' chant but when it comes to Gillingham, I would happilly not go to that corner of Kent ever again.

Despite the Kents and the rugby walkahs, going via Waterloo turned out to be the right decision. Walking down Putney High Street, I met a couple who I had previously encountered on the train over the Pennines to Sheffield at the end of November. They follow Bournemouth around by taking a caravan and camping in a nice location nearby to where we're playing. Today we discussed how we're going to spend the hour and a half before kick off. They were headed to sit by the Thames with their sandwiches while I was going to take mine to nosh in Bishop's Palace Park. There is a scene in The Exorcist where there is a storm and a vicar gets run through by an iron railing. That scene was filmed there.

I arrived outside to Craven Cottage just in time to meet some of the Rocketeers. Always good to catch up with some of our most dedicated supporters.

They were showing Manchester City versus Everton on the TV screens in the concourse and it had a frame around the screen that said, "Thank You Bournemouth supporters for travelling 101 miles."

I didn't have a very good feeling about this beforehand and when Lewis Cook slipped over in the penalty area which allowed Fulham to score their first goal, I couldn't really see that we were going to get it back. We missed a number of reasonably good chances and Fulham took theirs. Annoyingly, Willian laid on the passes for Fulham's two other goals. He always performed well against us for Chelsea. So he did yesterday laying on Fulham's 2nd and 3rd. I don't think we were particularly bad but we just didn't play as well as we absolutely could do. Still, I reckon we need to tighten up our defensive positioning. I didn't see bodies being thrown in front of the ball as much as they should have been.

Our support was pretty good, didn't get downhearted when we shipped an early goal and were incredibly noisy when we scored after half time.

All that then remained was to do the outward journey in reverse but without encountering any fans of other clubs. With another night at the Premier Inn, I was not surprised to find that the running order of Match of the Day put us last and of course we got very little time. But I didn't see Gillingham.

Although this is under the heading of Just got back, I've actually still got an hour and a half train journey left and then the 45 minute drive home. When I am met at the station, I will be asked, as always, "was it worth it? There is only one possible reply.

Thanks for this little insight into your journey and the people you encountered. As a predominantly away fan only I can identify with a lot of it although I don't travel so far and am far less eloquent. I think we may have briefly met outside Sincil Bank many moons ago - fairly sure it was a 3-3 draw. If it wasn't you then we have (or had) another Sweden based Cherry!

I will be asked, as always, "was it worth it? There is only one possible reply.
Thank you Erik, another wonderful tale of your travels.

Thank you also for your great closing remark which was a timely reminder. Unlike your journey mine was just the 101 mile version and in spite of Fulham being one of my favourite away trips the whole day seemed to go downhill from exactly 3pm when we conjoured up one of our lesser kick off routines...

Sausage and mash at the Spotted Horse followed by a couple more beers and a brief chat with the Stupid Few at the Bricklayers had promised so much more...

As we all know it turned into one of the more frustrating 90 minutes and the train journey home rather dragged. The uncertainty of making the connection at Southampton rather grew as the unfortunate guard had to deal with kids bunking fares (probably those bloody Gillingham fans on the wrong train) and had to hold the train to get rid of them... culminating in one of them grabbing his microphone and dropping the C-bomb to the entire train :oops: (guardless trains anyone?) It was that kind of day in the end.

So, yes, your closing remark is indeed a timely reminder, not just of why we do it but also the journeys made by others and in particular by your good self. It would be great to catch you on the next one.

Thanks for this little insight into your journey and the people you encountered. As a predominantly away fan only I can identify with a lot of it although I don't travel so far and am far less eloquent. I think we may have briefly met outside Sincil Bank many moons ago - fairly sure it was a 3-3 draw. If it wasn't you then we have (or had) another Sweden based Cherry!

You have a good memory. That was 15 years ago!

Isn't it strange that sometimes memories of a particular day and match are indelibly stamped on your mind and you can recall detail after detail. Yet other days are just a haze and if you didn't have the ticket saved, you might even struggle to remember that you were there at all.

It was a beautiful, crisp, sunny winter's day. I met a friend from Lincon and we sat by the river with a bottle of sauvignon blanc.

It was the Pitman double penalty match and the one where "Panic" Button let in two rather soft goals in the last five minutes. I recall it also because, despite the fact that they were being obnoxious, I managed to persuade the stewards against chucking out a couple of drunken yoofs from the BCE (what happened to them?).

;