Lansdowne incident

In late 90s when I started going out, Zoo/Cage used to be over 21's on Saturday. No blue demin, or trainers back then. Ralph Lauren and YSL shirts with chino type trousers was the thing :D

Jazz Juice at showbar was immense - used to go to that all the time. One of my favourite nights/events. Had more friendly, but 'up for it' vibe, that you rarely get elsewhere in bmouth. Didnt have the 'pretentiousness' that Bournemouth seems to have rep for. Love that music too. Pretty much only listen to tech house, house, minimal techno and disco/funk.

Went a couple of times when it changed to Aruba, but wasnt the same as that grimey old venue. Aruba have had some decent dj's there, but acoustics, open light setting just isn't conducive to a proper decent dance event/night. Melvo Baptiste (Defected) was last time I went there couple of years back. Excellent disco/funk/house music, but just fell a bit flat as the venue just doesn;t have atmosphere/intensity compared to dark, proper club venues.

Chatted to the chap who owns Halo recently. And he confirmed there simply isnt the appetite for regular tech house/minimal/house nights in bmouth for some reason. Which is odd as loads of good nights in London and other cities around the globe, including millions who go to Ibiza each summer for it. You'd think with large student population and younger local demographic, there'd be enough to draw regular decent crowds. Obviously some can't stand dance music, but plenty do. Although clubs in general not drawing crowds they used to apparently.

Another circle of friends play in cover bands and can't stand dance music or typical shiny bmouth clubs/bars playing the same generic commercial dance/rnb type stuff. So usually went/go to O Neils and Sound Circus/Gardeners club with them. Nice change tbh, as different vibe to usual places.
You Bournemouth boys dont know your born with all your poncy clubs and dance music! All us Poole boys had were dens of iniquity like Thirsty's and Latours! Shitholes!! Traditional erection section establishments. We could have travelled to Bournemouth for a night out I suppose, but we never travelled well. We used to get nose bleeds if we ventured north of the George Hotel. Being from the 'other side of the bridge' we were an insular lot. Most of my mates thought nightlife started and ended in The Swan on Poole Quay. They thought they were all suave and cosmopolitan when they ventured into (when bouncers allowed) The Marina nightclub on West Quay Road.

You Bournemouth boys dont know your born with all your poncy clubs and dance music! All us Poole boys had were dens of iniquity like Thirsty's and Latours! Shitholes!! Traditional erection section establishments. We could have travelled to Bournemouth for a night out I suppose, but we never travelled well. We used to get nose bleeds if we ventured north of the George Hotel. Being from the 'other side of the bridge' we were an insular lot. Most of my mates thought nightlife started and ended in The Swan on Poole Quay. They thought they were all suave and cosmopolitan when they ventured into (when bouncers allowed) The Marina nightclub on West Quay Road.
Are you forgetting the Viking Club??

In late 90s when I started going out, Zoo/Cage used to be over 21's on Saturday. No blue demin, or trainers back then. Ralph Lauren and YSL shirts with chino type trousers was the thing :D

Jazz Juice at showbar was immense - used to go to that all the time. One of my favourite nights/events. Had more friendly, but 'up for it' vibe, that you rarely get elsewhere in bmouth. Didnt have the 'pretentiousness' that Bournemouth seems to have rep for. Love that music too. Pretty much only listen to tech house, house, minimal techno and disco/funk.

Went a couple of times when it changed to Aruba, but wasnt the same as that grimey old venue. Aruba have had some decent dj's there, but acoustics, open light setting just isn't conducive to a proper decent dance event/night. Melvo Baptiste (Defected) was last time I went there couple of years back. Excellent disco/funk/house music, but just fell a bit flat as the venue just doesn;t have atmosphere/intensity compared to dark, proper club venues.

Chatted to the chap who owns Halo recently. And he confirmed there simply isnt the appetite for regular tech house/minimal/house nights in bmouth for some reason. Which is odd as loads of good nights in London and other cities around the globe, including millions who go to Ibiza each summer for it. You'd think with large student population and younger local demographic, there'd be enough to draw regular decent crowds. Obviously some can't stand dance music, but plenty do. Although clubs in general not drawing crowds they used to apparently.

Another circle of friends play in cover bands and can't stand dance music or typical shiny bmouth clubs/bars playing the same generic commercial dance/rnb type stuff. So usually went/go to O Neils and Sound Circus/Gardeners club with them. Nice change tbh, as different vibe to usual places.
Annie Mac Presents had a couple of decent nights at the O2 Academy or whatever it’s called these days around 2014/15 - remember seeing Gorgoncity, Hannah Wants and others there. Also remember seeing Duke Dumont and Ninetoes in town around that time. Went to the first Somerley Tea Party around that time - can’t remember who was there though. I was a little behind the Jazz Juice / Hed Kandi period - would have enjoyed that. Went to the first Soundfest on the beach (or whatever it was called) and felt well out of place by then.

:D

I had couple of year period going to the quay... when Mint and Dundees were ok alternative change from bmouth, before they went t1ts up.

Like I say, always liked dance music since I was about 11/12 (proper stuff, not poppy/comercial cr4p :D). And Poole has rarely offered that. Apart from the Venue. But thats not central Poole is it...

Venue to far away?

Was going there for a few years each friday, before Saturday nights in Bmouth.

Never experienced Latours/Grays, Viking club etc. Although heard plenty of stories of them over the years...

Rarely ventured. It was mainly frequented by Royal Marines and women who sought military love!

Worked at Barclays house for 10 years from 17 around 1997.

Few women I worked with certainly fit that description... and had no issues admitting it!

Work with a couple of ex marines now at another financial corp and they do alright with women. Certainly have a way about them that women find irresistible, despite knowing their reputations :D. 'Dangerous'/tough men.

I had couple of year period going to the quay... when Mint and Dundees were ok alternative change from bmouth, before they went t1ts up.

Like I say, always liked dance music since I was about 11/12 (proper stuff, not poppy/comercial cr4p :D). And Poole has rarely offered that. Apart from the Venue. But thats not central Poole is it...

Venue to far away?

Never experienced Latours/Grays, Viking club etc. Although heard plenty of stories of them over the years...
Latours was locally nicknamed "La whores" - and I know of one or two chaps who were quoted prices by girls in there!

Venue to far away?

I hope you were well treated by the natives. It wasnt often they extended the hand of friendship to outsiders. Dont think you blended in! They could smell a 'foreigner' at a thousand yards! Local pubs for local people' was their motto!

I hope you were well treated by the natives. It wasnt often they extended the hand of friendship to outsiders. Dont think you blended in! They could smell a 'foreigner' at a thousand yards! Local pubs for local people' was their motto!

I just avoided the stalwart 'local' type pubs... basically all of them, apart from the shiny 2 I mentioned :D

They'd have smashed my pretty face little face in no doubt. Particularly as mincing around in my tight black t shirt, showing off my vanity/work in gym anda complexion tindall would have been envious of!. Usually wired off my t1ts at that point too around those years. Wouldnt have gone down well at all :D

Christ, I'd have smashed my face in too, now I think back about it :D

Annie Mac Presents had a couple of decent nights at the O2 Academy or whatever it’s called these days around 2014/15 - remember seeing Gorgoncity, Hannah Wants and others there. Also remember seeing Duke Dumont and Ninetoes in town around that time. Went to the first Somerley Tea Party around that time - can’t remember who was there though. I was a little behind the Jazz Juice / Hed Kandi period - would have enjoyed that. Went to the first Soundfest on the beach (or whatever it was called) and felt well out of place by then.

I'd see Gorgon City live now if I knew they were playing town. Listened to a few of their mixes on youtube during lockdown. Not my ideal style, but imagine they're decent events seeing live. Particularly as rarely get anything that interesting down here...

I like some of Duke Dumont stuff too, but again not my real preference.

They had Hed Kandi night fairly recently in Bournemouth... at Canvas iirc(old Bumbles site basically... bet some on here have stories about that place :D). Mark Doyle was dj'ing. He founded Hed Kandi and drove it into popularity/more mainstream awareness around mid 2000's, before selling it at its peak to Ministry of Sound. He then started Fierce Angel up... as preferred more under the radar labels.

They had many Hed Kandi nights at Crank during its peak, before I lost interest in it. They used to have nights at small club on Sunday night up at Landsdowne, when it was more underground. Never went, as had to work Mondays...

Didnt mention Academy/Opera House, but used to go there a lot. Flagship Slinky night on Friday, Curious on Sunday. Slinky was basically considered a superclub in the trance era. Right up there with Gatecrasher, Ministry of Sound, Cream, Godskitchen. Attracted worlds best trance, sometimes hard house, dj's every friday. then upstairs (benedicts) it was cocoshebeen - with best drum n basss dj's around - not my kind of music. Loved trance back then, but cant stand it now. Too sickly, over the top synths, drum rolls, buildups etc. Gatecrasher sound was the one for me out of all of them...

I mainly listen to Matthias Tanzmann, Marco Carola, Mahony, Richie Hawtin, Martinez Brothers, Tania Vulcano, Hotsince82, Luciano, Stacey Pullen, Steve Lawler mixes now. Dc10/circo loco, musicon, solidgroves tech house/minimal techno now.

I remember in the eighties,about thirty of us,from Bearwood,West Howe and East Howe,were on a stag do.It was a Friday night and we got in the Swan about seven thirty.All the local hooligans were there,it was their local,and it went silent as we go in.Luckily for the landlord,one of our lot was seeing the sister of one of their lot,so between them they agreed one pint and we should go.

Latours was locally nicknamed "La whores" - and I know of one or two chaps who were quoted prices by girls in there!
quoted prices
50 years ago there used to be a girl with big tits hanging around outside a chip shop we frequented, she would let you feel her tits for a bag of chips. I won't tell you what she offered for a bottle of Strongbow cider outside the off licence. :eek!:

That’s because when she shouted More More you put her in a taxi to Turlin though tbf…
I also had carnal knowledge of a Norwegian exchange student (girl) in my mates back garden in Hamworthy in late 80's. I dont think she was too impressed with me or Hamworthy. @HamJDW

Only Scandinavian 'experience' I had was with a less 'illustrious' Swedish woman.

She was always at after parties at dj's house we went back to during one period in 2000's. Think a few of the men I used to see there regularly had similar 'experiences', so never to write home about :D

I remember in the eighties,about thirty of us,from Bearwood,West Howe and East Howe,were on a stag do.It was a Friday night and we got in the Swan about seven thirty.All the local hooligans were there,it was their local,and it went silent as we go in.Luckily for the landlord,one of our lot was seeing the sister of one of their lot,so between them they agreed one pint and we should go.
This was often the case with other groups going into The Swan. More often than not there were individuals who knew each other and an uneasy truce was declared. But it wasnt a comfortable atmosphere. Wasnt unusual for West Howe and Christchurch individuals to pop in, but rarely in numbers.My mate was the landlord prior to it being re-branded and he had West Howe roots. He used to positely encourage the trouble! I have seen it going silly in there on numerous occasions, including when Aston Villa came down, late 80's. I think we were in Div 2 at the time?

I'd see Gorgon City live now if I knew they were playing town. Listened to a few of their mixes on youtube during lockdown. Not my ideal style, but imagine they're decent events seeing live. Particularly as rarely get anything that interesting down here...

I like some of Duke Dumont stuff too, but again not my real preference.

They had Hed Kandi night fairly recently in Bournemouth... at Canvas iirc(old Bumbles site basically... bet some on here have stories about that place :D). Mark Doyle was dj'ing. He founded Hed Kandi and drove it into popularity/more mainstream awareness around mid 2000's, before selling it at its peak to Ministry of Sound. He then started Fierce Angel up... as preferred more under the radar labels.

They had many Hed Kandi nights at Crank during its peak, before I lost interest in it. They used to have nights at small club on Sunday night up at Landsdowne, when it was more underground. Never went, as had to work Mondays...

Didnt mention Academy/Opera House, but used to go there a lot. Flagship Slinky night on Friday, Curious on Sunday. Slinky was basically considered a superclub in the trance era. Right up there with Gatecrasher, Ministry of Sound, Cream, Godskitchen. Attracted worlds best trance, sometimes hard house, dj's every friday. then upstairs (benedicts) it was cocoshebeen - with best drum n basss dj's around - not my kind of music. Loved trance back then, but cant stand it now. Too sickly, over the top synths, drum rolls, buildups etc. Gatecrasher sound was the one for me out of all of them...

I mainly listen to Matthias Tanzmann, Marco Carola, Mahony, Richie Hawtin, Martinez Brothers, Tania Vulcano, Hotsince82, Luciano, Stacey Pullen, Steve Lawler mixes now. Dc10/circo loco, musicon, solidgroves tech house/minimal techno now.

I started with Venue U18 (fight) nights around 96, then got the bug and started going to Zoo/ Cage. Went to Slinky whenever I could get past the bouncers & then regularly when I had proper ID. Also Thursday (student) nights at the OH (was it called hot and horny?). Good times! Also Dusk til dawn was a fun sweatbox/ club until it closed. Had some great DnB evenings there.

Like you I used to love trance but can't tolerate much of it these days. I still listen to a virtually limitless amount of electronica though. Favourite Artists/ DJs I've seen over the last few years are HAAi, Aphex Twin, Erol Alkan, Daniel Avery (who's actually from Bournemouth), Jon Hopkins, Chemical Brothers (their own stuff plus their DJ sets which are harder & techno oriented but just as awesome). Really want to see Justice before they pack up their decks for good.

It's just a shame I have to go to Bristol, Manchester or festivals these days to get my fix!

Interesting stuff - Yes Sound Circus was the Hothouse, had some great nights in there. Shame about the dance scene in Bmth, although I was never really a clubber in that sense.

I've already said about living in Nottingham mid/late 90's. Heaven for an indie club fan.

Interesting stuff - Yes Sound Circus was the Hothouse, had some great nights in there. Shame about the dance scene in Bmth, although I was never really a clubber in that sense.

I've already said about living in Nottingham mid/late 90's. Heaven for an indie club fan.

Yeah those steamed up toilets were interesting in hothouse/sound circus...

Nottingham always had rep for strong women to men ratios. Not sure how true that was, probably not a noticeable difference on nights out.

This was often the case with other groups going into The Swan. More often than not there were individuals who knew each other and an uneasy truce was declared. But it wasnt a comfortable atmosphere. Wasnt unusual for West Howe and Christchurch individuals to pop in, but rarely in numbers.My mate was the landlord prior to it being re-branded and he had West Howe roots. He used to positely encourage the trouble! I have seen it going silly in there on numerous occasions, including when Aston Villa came down, late 80's. I think we were in Div 2 at the time?
That would have been March 88, (1-2)the Daley run and dribbled shot and the Platt chip at the South end.

My dad grew up in Bourne Estate in the 60's, and his mates would always go into Bmth. Their local was the Pembroke - probably the first pub they came to LOL.

Then the Lord Nelson on the Quay for what seemed like every Sunday night when I was growing up ;)

;