Lansdowne incident

I used to pop into The Shades in the late mid 70’s early 89’s with a few chaps the older lot
on here may know. Hitting.
Mostly Jocks in there back then.
The Hop inn became popular around that time. ‘Maracas man’ anyone?

I used to pop into The Shades in the late mid 70’s early 89’s with a few chaps the older lot
Pembroke arms late 70s early 80s never went in shades couldn't understand the accent

Annie Mac Presents had a couple of decent nights at the O2 Academy or whatever it’s called these days around 2014/15 - remember seeing Gorgoncity, Hannah Wants and others there. Also remember seeing Duke Dumont and Ninetoes in town around that time. Went to the first Somerley Tea Party around that time - can’t remember who was there though. I was a little behind the Jazz Juice / Hed Kandi period - would have enjoyed that. Went to the first Soundfest on the beach (or whatever it was called) and felt well out of place by then.

Bicep headlined the first Somerley Tea Party. I wonder what happened to them!!! Ha!

I'd see Gorgon City live now if I knew they were playing town. Listened to a few of their mixes on youtube during lockdown. Not my ideal style, but imagine they're decent events seeing live. Particularly as rarely get anything that interesting down here...

I like some of Duke Dumont stuff too, but again not my real preference.

They had Hed Kandi night fairly recently in Bournemouth... at Canvas iirc(old Bumbles site basically... bet some on here have stories about that place :D). Mark Doyle was dj'ing. He founded Hed Kandi and drove it into popularity/more mainstream awareness around mid 2000's, before selling it at its peak to Ministry of Sound. He then started Fierce Angel up... as preferred more under the radar labels.

They had many Hed Kandi nights at Crank during its peak, before I lost interest in it. They used to have nights at small club on Sunday night up at Landsdowne, when it was more underground. Never went, as had to work Mondays...

Didnt mention Academy/Opera House, but used to go there a lot. Flagship Slinky night on Friday, Curious on Sunday. Slinky was basically considered a superclub in the trance era. Right up there with Gatecrasher, Ministry of Sound, Cream, Godskitchen. Attracted worlds best trance, sometimes hard house, dj's every friday. then upstairs (benedicts) it was cocoshebeen - with best drum n basss dj's around - not my kind of music. Loved trance back then, but cant stand it now. Too sickly, over the top synths, drum rolls, buildups etc. Gatecrasher sound was the one for me out of all of them...

I mainly listen to Matthias Tanzmann, Marco Carola, Mahony, Richie Hawtin, Martinez Brothers, Tania Vulcano, Hotsince82, Luciano, Stacey Pullen, Steve Lawler mixes now. Dc10/circo loco, musicon, solidgroves tech house/minimal techno now.

HedKandi started at Bar Blu on Sunday nights, then went to the Opera House, then the Old Firestation.

Check out HSWRK, Pier Pressure. They've been putting some decent events on at the end of the pier in the summer. Manor Reunion type age group.

Remember the maracas man, used to stand next to the piano. "Late at night at the Hop Inn bar" as old Tim Bruce used to sing in his Bryan Ferry imitation !!

Bicep headlined the first Somerley Tea Party. I wonder what happened to them!!! Ha!
Just checked back and yes you’re quite right - Eats Everything, Simian Mobile Disco, Bicep, Ten Walls, Ben Pearce, Paul Woolford… quite a good lineup really.

;