Life's Like That ( it seems )

New Old Cherry

UTC Legend
Rarely do I open up a Thread..but here goes..

On the News tonight Tyson Fury claims he has suffered. .. 'Mental Health Issues' !
Christ....the blokes been punching people's heads in for the past 10 years.

This outburst is what Celebrity Culture has brought us.

Looking back and remembering how Henry Cooper related to the public ..we were blessed.

Last edited:

On the News tonight Tyson Fury claims he has suffered. .. 'Mental Health Issues' !

Looking back and remembering how Henry Cooper related to the public ..we were blessed
Not sure it has anything to do with celebrity culture, more to do with more openness and honesty about mental health

Looking back and remembering how Henry Cooper related to the public ..we were blessed

It's not a new thing from him though. He's suffered on and off from severe depression over thr years.

His book gives a good insight to his life... good and bad.

He explains some pretty dark places he's travelled through. Not sure what he has to gain by going into detail about that and I retain a degree of skepticism about these things at times.

As someone who has suffered mental health issues of their own(Severe depression especially) it is nothing to mess around with and the public needs to understand more about it, especially when it comes to men.

Men are always seen as big and strong, protectors, etc but we go through some stuff too and if need help, then we need help; doesn't make you less of a man if you seek some.

Big names like Fury talking about it will only make it more prevalent and known to the public, and that can only be a good thing.

Genuine question, do you feel it's better to identify, acknowledge and hopefully tackle mental issues or just bottle them up and deal with them through violent outbursts, substance abuse, and other self-destructive behavior?

Take a think about this Brian and you might see how bad a post it is. Fury quite famously went to a very bad place following winning the title. He's been very open about this which is important. You may see it as "celebrity" but look at it another way, he's using a very large platform to open up, letting people know that it's ok to not be ok, to get help, to know you're not alone.

I know 3 blokes personally, and two others indirectly, who have taken their own lives. One of them was a personal trainer and a very good boxer/kickboxer who had some titles at a local level (if I remember correctly. Another was one of my closest mates who had suffered with depression since he was 18, at the age of 40, it came too much for him.

Fury speaking up is nothing but a good thing. It's a shame you felt the need to open a thread having a pop at someone doing a good thing.

Christ that hit some nerves......best I don't open up any more threads !
..no sympathy with those whose heads he punches then....that's the angle I thought I was coming from....
...So...rry !

Take a think about this Brian and you might see how bad a post it is. Fury quite famously went to a very bad place following winning the title. He's been very open about this which is important. You may see it as "celebrity" but look at it another way, he's using a very large platform to open up, letting people know that it's ok to not be ok, to get help, to know you're not alone.

I know 3 blokes personally, and two others indirectly, who have taken their own lives. One of them was a personal trainer and a very good boxer/kickboxer who had some titles at a local level (if I remember correctly. Another was one of my closest mates who had suffered with depression since he was 18, at the age of 40, it came too much for him.

Fury speaking up is nothing but a good thing. It's a shame you felt the need to open a thread having a pop at someone doing a good thing.
The people engaged in WW1 and 2 would have had lots of Mental Issues ...but had no platform like Tyson has .. .so they just got on with it.

A very touching and thought provoking post and one that unfortunately too many men can relate to.

The people engaged in WW1 and 2 would have had lots of Mental Issues ...but had no platform like Tyson has .. .so they just got on with it.

Come on Brian, I know you like to be edgy, but you're better than that. Talking down someone's problems because someone in the past had been through horrors we've all be spared is so dismissive it's unreal. My mate had his own business, was doing well financially and had loving friends and family around him, he should've just got in with it and be happy because he didn't have a war to fight in? It's an illness and a shockingly scary one. We need to help and understand and to let blokes know that we don't have to be these columns of strength for every minute of every day. There's a reason that suicide is more common in men.

Come on Brian, I know you like to be edgy, but you're better than that. Talking down someone's problems because someone in the past had been through horrors we've all be spared is so dismissive it's unreal. My mate had his own business, was doing well financially and had loving friends and family around him, he should've just got in with it and be happy because he didn't have a war to fight in? It's an illness and a shockingly scary one. We need to help and understand and to let blokes know that we don't have to be these columns of strength for every minute of every day. There's a reason that suicide is more common in men.

I don't think you quite understand the angle I was looking at this from.
Tyson Fury is someone who is quite happy knocking someone senseless...whereupon a mental illness outcome is very likely.

I chose to reflect on folk that had issues in the killing fields of those 2 Wars as a comparison to whatever he has endured and maybe brought upon himself in that sport environment he participated in.

I don't think you quite understand the angle I was looking at this from.
Tyson Fury is someone who is quite happy knocking someone senseless...whereupon a mental illness outcome is very likely.

I chose to reflect on folk that had issues in the killing fields of those 2 Wars as a comparison to whatever he has endured and maybe brought upon himself in that sport environment he participated in.
No, I get where you were coming from and I think the comparison to those that fought in wars is a lazy one to make. Your delivery in your initial post, to me, comes across as needlessly provocative to get people to react. I wonder if you'd have the same reaction of it was an older boxer who had never made it big time?

Reactions: Mdl

;