Lloyd Kelly

Whoops! Also nearly jumped straight into talking about Dango at LB. When this threads called Lloyd Kelly.

Anyway. Some of the best football we’ve seen in a few seasons has been with Dango playing full back. He’s only young. I’m a little surprised not to see him there more often

If Kelly stays then brilliant!
If he goes we have Dango and Kerkez, Senessi, Zabarnyi, Hill & Mepham.
He has had a handful of games where he has been fantastic, against Chelsea he was world class, he has also had some stinkers!
His lack of consistency and injury record are what hold him back from living up to his potential, touted as a future England CB.
I much prefer him at LB, but in our system under AI, he is more of a CB.
I hope he isn't suffering from Josh King last year of my contract absence; we all know how it turned out for Josh Who?

I agree with Neil on this one... Dango did a job and we all got excited as no one expected anything from him, and he actually looked ok out there... Made some decent challenges and got the crowd going... But wouldn't start looking at him to do a job in there on a more regular occurrence
Be interesting to see him in that position again against a speedy winger to see how he does.

He has had a handful of games where he has been fantastic, against Chelsea he was world class, he has also had some stinkers!
His lack of consistency and injury record are what hold him back from living up to his potential, touted as a future England CB.
I hope he isn't suffering from Josh King last year of my contract absence; we all know how it turned out for Josh Who?
Minus Meps. Surely he's not going to stay.

I'd love to see him stay tbh. His versatility abd qualities are perfect for our ambitions imo... ie moving towards top half abd even whatever the uefa cup is called now.

It'll probably mean making him on parity with highest earner and big signing on fee... I think he's worth it given his attributes and risk tgat comes signing another player. But I think he's a goner tbh, and can't blame him. Entering peak of career, and lure of big club and financial package means we likely have minimal chance of retaining him. Even if we match or exceed what's om offer from elite clubs.

Shame it's come to this. We're now going to have to enter tge market for lb and cb... decebt ones will cost or gamble on rawer prospect. As we've seem with other players, could still be settling in period, despite their ability. Whereas Kelly is already drilled, familiar with out style and team mates.

Plus mepham may really push for move this summer. Maybe hill is ready to be a reliable cb cover, as 4th choice, plus cover at fb? Otherwise could need 3 new defenders in summer.

Good thing is, with AI at helm and having input with Francis, we'll make the right choices when it comes down to it.

Kelly is a very interesting player.

And by that I mean that his defending in certain situations is top class, but in other situations it is below par.

He really excels in an area that most other defenders hate, running back towards his own goal. If there is a ball played over the top and an opposition attacker chasing it then there aren’t many defenders in the league that I would pick over Kelly to handle it. He makes it look effortless at times.

However when he actually has to defend his own penalty area he isn’t great at all. His concentration levels aren’t the best and he regularly loses his man, he is particularly poor when defending crosses. Despite his size he doesn’t really seem to enjoy the physical battle with opposition forwards either, I don’t feel that he is particularly comfortable heading the ball which is obviously not ideal for a centre back. I’d go as far to say that out of all our centre backs if we were sitting deep and defending a lead then he’d be the last of the four I’d want on the pitch.

I think the appeal is that he excels in an area that very few do because his overall defending is pretty ordinary.

Kelly is a very interesting player.

And by that I mean that his defending in certain situations is top class, but in other situations it is below par.

He really excels in an area that most other defenders hate, running back towards his own goal. If there is a ball played over the top and an opposition attacker chasing it then there aren’t many defenders in the league that I would pick over Kelly to handle it. He makes it look effortless at times.

However when he actually has to defend his own penalty area he isn’t great at all. His concentration levels aren’t the best and he regularly loses his man, he is particularly poor when defending crosses. Despite his size he doesn’t really seem to enjoy the physical battle with opposition forwards either, I don’t feel that he is particularly comfortable heading the ball which is obviously not ideal for a centre back. I’d go as far to say that out of all our centre backs if we were sitting deep and defending a lead then he’d be the last of the four I’d want on the pitch.

I think the appeal is that he excels in an area that very few do because his overall defending is pretty ordinary.
Nail on head here . I was hoping we took an offer for him last season while his stock was high. He seems to slow up and make mistakes after about 60 mins, anyone else noticed this ? He'll definitely be looking for that big signing on fee in the summer

He is a very interesting player. I think he is a confidence player. He reminds me a lot of Tyrone Mings (at Villa more than when he was here). When he is feeling it he has total control and is a Rolls Royce player when he isn’t he has lapses of concentration and occcasional contribution errors. Whoever gets him you think the key to whether he becomes a top performer at an elite level club or becomes a benchwarmer is more mental than talent.

Nail on head here . I was hoping we took an offer for him last season while his stock was high. He seems to slow up and make mistakes after about 60 mins, anyone else noticed this ? He'll definitely be looking for that big signing on fee in the summer
The 60 min thing could be due to injuries and lack of match fitness.

Think at this point, with no contract signed, he should be shifted to the reserves until he moves on. Another one that thinks he is too good to stay at little old Bournemouth. Same attitude as players like Zemura, who is hardly pulling up trees Udinese and Lerma who made a sideways move to palace.
We need to get tougher on players pissing about over contracts and shipping them out with 18months-2years left. We’ve lost too much money courting players to sign contracts and coming away with nothing after multi million pound outlays. Going to give the wrong idea to other members of the squad.

We need to get tougher on players pissing about over contracts and shipping them out with 18months-2years left. We’ve lost too much money courting players to sign contracts and coming away with nothing after multi million pound outlays. Going to give the wrong idea to other members of the squad.
Agree. I’m hoping Franno will be smarter than his predecessor and gone are the days when we get zero money out of players like Kelly and Lerma

Agree. I’m hoping Franno will be smarter than his predecessor and gone are the days when we get zero money out of players like Kelly and Lerma

You admitted yourself that there was very little chance that Lerma would have ever signed a new contract did you not?

Or do you think we should have offered him £100k per week as a championship club?

To who and for how much? He went to Crystal Palace so it doesn't seem there was much interest from clubs with enough resources to buy him. This is just criticism for criticism's sake.
He is a guy who has spent his career playing in La Liga and the PL other than a two year spell with us in the Championship. He plays for one of the better footballing nations in the world. You don’t think he has any value? You’ve just watched us pay 40 odd million for Traore and Dango.

;