Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth

OK I'm not a tactical expert, but our low press looks very passive. Watching other teams try it (or us last year under GON), they put the opponents under pressure once they get to 5-10 yards from the box, so they never have time to play it forward, put in crosses, or thread balls through. As the ball moves across and around the outside, they take it in turns for the nearest midfielder to pressure the ball.

On the basis of TV highlights, we don't do this, just jogging out to opponents and giving them un-pressured possession and time to pick a dangerous pass. I had thought we'd improved on this recently but it looked back to its passive worst yesterday.

Plus yrsterday we had 6-7-8 in a very deep back line, with only 1 or 2 on the front of the box doing the actual pressing.

XG footnote: the XG on MOTD was 1.88 to 0.77. That tells a very different story. Can anyone who saw the entire 90 explain?

XG footnote: the XG on MOTD was 1.88 to 0.77. That tells a very different story. Can anyone who saw the entire 90 explain?
We hit the bar, had a goal disallowed, scored and had other good chances blocked or saved. Bit of a contrast to last year where we turned up, had one shot on target and defended all game to lose by one less goal. I know what was the better game to watch although neither obviously great.

A City fan after said we’d given it more of a go than Utd did last week in their 0-3.

Best chance to only lose by a couple with City at their place is to catch them after a big CL game with more fringe players in. That line up yesterday was a monstrous one.

That’s camp one. I know English isn’t your strong point by your lack of capitals so put it first so you’d see it.

childish and desperately pathetic, but not unexpected

not even close to your binary point one, at least attempt to address the point or have you finally run out of excuses?

All in all obviously the expected result….but I am still not sure of our identity in terms of playing style?
We contained City quite well for 25 minutes or so riding our luck with poor passing and distribution from the back.
Considering that we have attacking players like Tav…Scott…Billing and two full backs who can get forward we still passively pass the ball sideways and back.
We really need to be on the front foot and stopping the leisurely possession of our opponents especially the top sides.
Teams like Brentford, Brighton and Palace suffocate the big teams and often get a positive result?
Radu 4 poor distribution and doesn’t command his six yard box.
Aarons 5 showed some pace and gave it a go moving forwards
Kelly 5 composed but his passing is poor generally
Mepham 4.5 got tortured by Doku and often had his back to the attacking player
Zarbarnyi 5 better than of late but doesn’t read the game at all times
Kerkez 4 average at best gets turned so radily
Tavernier 5 caused few problems for city
Scott 5.5 classy on the ball hope his injury isn’t too serious
Billing 4 languid performance again
Christie 5 gives his all but too often lost in the tackle and gets his legs tangled too much
Solanke 6 battles and was our best on the day IMO

Rothwell 5 offered something going forward
Sinisterra 5 got his goal and generally looked okay
Senesi 4.5 wasted the ball in posession
Semenyo 5 bustled and looked lively

Pawson 4 usual big time Charlie with his constant chat with the city players

OK I'm not a tactical expert, but our low press looks very passive. Watching other teams try it (or us last year under GON), they put the opponents under pressure once they get to 5-10 yards from the box, so they never have time to play it forward, put in crosses, or thread balls through. As the ball moves across and around the outside, they take it in turns for the nearest midfielder to pressure the ball.

On the basis of TV highlights, we don't do this, just jogging out to opponents and giving them un-pressured possession and time to pick a dangerous pass. I had thought we'd improved on this recently but it looked back to its passive worst yesterday.

Plus yrsterday we had 6-7-8 in a very deep back line, with only 1 or 2 on the front of the box doing the actual pressing.

Good point. You can't expect to go toe-to-toe with the heavyweights, and outplay them, so try to mitigate the gap in quality through things like workrate, the press etc. Almost strolling around hoping they have an offday is highly unlikely to yield many positive outcomes for 'lesser' teams.

IMO our tactics on the day were poor
5 at the back just means constant pressure from the opposition
It’s almost as if you are telling the players we can’t win so try to defend as best you can
Ariola needs to learn very fast that we are in the best league in the world

UTCIAD

childish and desperately pathetic, but not unexpected

not even close to your binary point one, at least attempt to address the point or have you finally run out of excuses?
And still no capitals…. Not even the first word which is odd as it should do it for you…

Point 1 was people who think the appointment was a mistake and we should have stuck with GON. Not sure you can phrase it any other way. Yes some will have thought that before it happened and some might have reached the conclusion since but it’s still the same outcome.

The TLDR summary of the stats for the Man City game.

The Scoreline didn’t reflect xG, which rounding to the nearest integers was Man C 2 AFCB 1

Scott made 21 out of 21 passes, Zabarnyi made 63 of 65 passes

4 of the players with an average position nearest the City goal were substitutes.
Good to see you yesterday Matt. Keep up the stat work.

And still no capitals…. Not even the first word which is odd as it should do it for you…

Point 1 was people who think the appointment was a mistake and we should have stuck with GON. Not sure you can phrase it any other way. Yes some will have thought that before it happened and some might have reached the conclusion since but it’s still the same outcome.

there is a middle ground, of course, let me explain;

those of us who knew gon had his limitations but could appreciate what he did after parker went rogue and keeping us up, but we also had the intellectual band-with to know (apparently) up-and-coming managers don't stay unemployed for long so we acted accordingly

but keep fixating on those caps, anything that avoids answering the tricky questions

the cap shift key on my laptop is fcuked btw
is that ok, hun?

there is a middle ground, of course, let me explain;

those of us who knew gon had his limitations but could appreciate what he did after parker went rogue and keeping us up, but we also had the intellectual band-with to know (apparently) up-and-coming managers don't stay unemployed for long so we acted accordingly

but keep fixating on those caps, anything that avoids answering the tricky questions

the cap shift key on my laptop is fcuked btw
is that ok, hun?

Always dubious when people resort to spelling, grammar as method of attack/debate...

And yes, when using PC it doesn't auto-capitalize does it... I can be very lazy with that kind of thing, but shouldn't distract others from the debate at hand... imo anyway.

Always dubious when people resort to spelling, grammar as method of attack/debate...

And yes, when using PC it doesn't auto-capitalize does it... I can be very lazy with that kind of thing, but shouldn't distract others from the debate at hand... imo anyway.

the first sign of a lost argument

I can use the onscreen keyboard but cant usually be arsed

hey are you the john hold that used to play for us in the late 60s
the one thing we are missing is a big centre forward like kermy someone who can get to crosses--as for your post--spot on

Obviously the scoreline was disappointing but...Doku was on fire and although I thought Mepham played well he was no match for him, ditto Kerkez and Walker who was phenomenal. Also the luck was against us, their first came when Tavernier (i think) tried to get the ball from Doku but just ended up putting it on a plate for him and their third was a big deflection that was going out so it could just as easily have been 1-0 at HT. Add in Scott's injury and the fact that most of the team played against Liverpool in horrendous conditions on Wednesday night, and you can at least understand it. Plus, of course, it was against City who are certainly the best team in the league and streets ahead of Liverpool let alone Afcb. So, yes it was disappointing but not like when Sterling scored the winner in the 98th minute.

All in all obviously the expected result….but I am still not sure of our identity in terms of playing style?
We contained City quite well for 25 minutes or so riding our luck with poor passing and distribution from the back.
Considering that we have attacking players like Tav…Scott…Billing and two full backs who can get forward we still passively pass the ball sideways and back.
We really need to be on the front foot and stopping the leisurely possession of our opponents especially the top sides.
Teams like Brentford, Brighton and Palace suffocate the big teams and often get a positive result?
Radu 4 poor distribution and doesn’t command his six yard box.
Aarons 5 showed some pace and gave it a go moving forwards
Kelly 5 composed but his passing is poor generally
Mepham 4.5 got tortured by Doku and often had his back to the attacking player
Zarbarnyi 5 better than of late but doesn’t read the game at all times
Kerkez 4 average at best gets turned so radily
Tavernier 5 caused few problems for city
Scott 5.5 classy on the ball hope his injury isn’t too serious
Billing 4 languid performance again
Christie 5 gives his all but too often lost in the tackle and gets his legs tangled too much
Solanke 6 battles and was our best on the day IMO

Rothwell 5 offered something going forward
Sinisterra 5 got his goal and generally looked okay
Senesi 4.5 wasted the ball in posession
Semenyo 5 bustled and looked lively

Pawson 4 usual big time Charlie with his constant chat with the city players
Our set up for marking City corners was shocking. Every time they went short or to their unmarked player on the edge of our penalty box.

And what did we have? Three players marking zonal space in our six yard box waiting for a direct corner into the box which never ever came!

;