Manchester United Replay 1989

Thank you for posting that.

How did the Police cope with a replay within a few days? How did the ticket office cope? How did BBC cope without an expert alongside Mr Motson?

Amazing.....the Manu crowd went bonkers when McClair scored....now they just shrug their shoulders not even knowing the names of our players! Crowds have changed so much!
We gave them one Hell of a game...typical Harry Redknapp stuff...blood , skill, pace and endeavour!

Last edited:
If only Aylott had scored with that header...........................................

Great night only spoiled a bit by being penned in like animals and being pelted with coins.

Never liked Man United fans, liked them even less after that night.

lucky that they opened another cage area at one point so able to move into that as it was getting quite packed.

Can’t remember much about that game apart from their goal. Nice to see the highlights again

Good to see the ref putting that whingeing b-end Ferguson in his place
- I’m in charge , not you !
How thatchanged over the years ..

Couple of decent chances - decent performance.

...couldn't make the game as I was a chef at the time working that night at Darby's Corner pub...but good to see the highlights again...thanks!

Great night only spoiled a bit by being penned in like animals and being pelted with coins.

Two months before Hillsborough. My overriding memory was the crush in our pen. The stewards physically pushing us up the tunnel onto the terrace as we were late comers was just mental;. Several people who couldn't cope being hauled up out of it by Man U fans behind. Feet not being able to touch the ground in the surge. At the time is was exciting, exhilarating as terraces were - with hindsight and with what happened a few months later its quite sobering. I remember a few objects coming down but it wasn't as bad as the previous visit.

The cup meant something back then, even to them, they were relishing the chance of playing Forest and the place was packed.

Two months before Hillsborough. My overriding memory was the crush in our pen. The stewards physically pushing us up the tunnel onto the terrace as we were late comers was just mental;. Several people who couldn't cope being hauled up out of it by Man U fans behind. Feet not being able to touch the ground in the surge. At the time is was exciting, exhilarating as terraces were - with hindsight and with what happened a few months later its quite sobering. I remember a few objects coming down but it wasn't as bad as the previous visit.

The cup meant something back then, even to them, they were relishing the chance of playing Forest and the place was packed.

Yes that crush in the tunnel is my abiding memory of the game. We got there late as the coach got lost. Had to go right to the front of the pen to the right of the goal. Terrible view . Atmosphere was cracking though. Prior to Hillsborough there was no H&S in grounds. Remember being penned in at Stamford Bridge in one pen when there were empty pens which they would not open.

Thanks for posting the Vid though. Great tackle by Paul Morrell which cut Gorden Strachan in half, Only a yellow. Probably a red today!

I remember the Chelsea game Stuart I was in the overcrowded pen,the stewards after getting some serious stick opened the second pen 5 minutes before kick-off by Five past Three it was more than half full.88-89 season.

I can't remember how many we took but it must have a fair few.

I remember the Chelsea game Stuart I was in the overcrowded pen,the stewards after getting some serious stick opened the second pen 5 minutes before kick-off by Five past Three it was more than half full.88-89 season.

I think there were over 2000 travelling supporters that day

...I remember the Chelsea game, as I thought that it would be a great idea to drive up...but it took me an age to find somewhere to park and I missed most of the first half...but yes we had a fair few there for the game!

I remember thinking at the time that playing in sky blue we looked like Man City which might have fired up United... and we should have donned the old green and black or all white!

;