Manchester United v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
AFCB Go To Old Trafford Full Of Confidence

Following Wednesday’s night fully in control display and second win on the trot away from home against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park, the Cherries next game is also away, this time up in Manchester to play United at Old Trafford on Saturday at 3 pm. The Cherries last four visits to Old Trafford have ended in defeats. In this confident mood, you wouldn’t bet against the Cherries getting something at Old Trafford.

In his first season in charge the Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag’s team finished in third place with 75 points. After the first 15 games they were fifth with 29 points, one point behind Spurs but with a game in hand. This season after 15 games on Wednesday night they are 6th with 29 points, but that could change on Thursday night if Newcastle United pick up a point at Everton.

United’s form home and away has been very similar, winning 5 and losing three at home and winning 4, losing 3 away. At home on the opening game of the season they beat Wolves 1-0. Other wins were 3-2 against Nottingham Forest, 2-1 with Brentford and 1-0 against Luton Town. The most recent home win was against Chelsea on Wednesday night by 2-1. The three defeats were 1-3 against Brighton, 0-1 Crystal Palace and in the local derby game with City, it finished 0-3. Away from Old Trafford they have beaten Burnley, Sheffield United, Fulham and Everton. The three defeats have been against Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle United.

AFCB’s last visit up North to play United was on the 3rd January, United won 3-0, their goals coming from Carlos Casemiro, Luke Shaw and Marcus Rashford.

In all our away league games against Manchester United, AFCB have D 1, L 5.
All competitions, AFCB have W 3, D3, L 14.

Manchester United Team News
On their injury list are Tyrell Malacia, Carlos Casemiro, Lisandro Martinez, Christian Eriksen, Raphael Varane, Amad Diallo and Mason Mount. Jadon Sancho is also missing due to internal matters at the club.

Manchester United Player To Watch
Bruno Fernandes strong all round player in midfield, scored 3 goals and leads with 3 assists and is a very important player for United. Scott McTominay is their leading scorer with 5 and he seems to be in good form and scored both goals against Chelsea.

AFCB Team News
No news of any new injuries.

AFCB Player To Watch
The form he is in, it has to be Ryan Christie in our engine room. Also Lewis Cook, both will be important in midfield against United.

The Referee
Peter Bankes is in charge for this game, we had him for our opening home game of this season against West Ham. He was also in charge of Spurs v Sheffield United which involved some controversial refereeing decisions.

Man Utd picking up a bit of form compared to a month ago…but so have we!

I see rashford on the bench last night to keep him fresh for the tough games.

Maybe freshen the team up after two very tough games ?

Might see a few changes I would think as some of the players looking a bit leggy in the second half
Quite tough to play 3 games in a week with our style of play

Fascinating game, this.

This is the classic "free hit" - few actually expect us to get anything from OT, and personally I think we will probably lose.

However, a lot depends on which Man Utd turns up and whether we can be at our best. Despite their patchy form over the season, their recent form is as good as ours, but I'm certainly ruling out our chances of bringing something back rather less than I normally do for trips to Manchester.

Fascinating game, this.

This is the classic "free hit" - few actually expect us to get anything from OT, and personally I think we will probably lose.

However, a lot depends on which Man Utd turns up and whether we can be at our best. Despite their patchy form over the season, their recent form is as good as ours, but I'm certainly ruling out our chances of bringing something back rather less than I normally do for trips to Manchester.
Feel confident that we could go and get something, especially away from home against on of the big six which is rare

Feel confident that we could go and get something, especially away from home against on of the big six which is rare
I'm feeling confident.

Only question mark for me is how are our energy levels going to be ?

Unfortunately we have a fair few players who we currently cannot give a rest to.

If we can deliver a 100% performance for 90 minutes, then I'd fancy us to get something.

But we might not be able to sustain our normal energy levels all over the pitch, following two tough matches in a few days. We are lacking depth in certain areas so cannot rotate as much as we would ideally like to at the moment.
That could cost us for this one. I hope not though. I have faith in the boys !
:utc:

I’ve looked at the last 4 league games for Man U. These were at home to Luton and Chelsea and away at Everton and Newcastle. Man U gained 9 points making them a form team in the league if not European and cup games. Man U have scored 6 goals and conceded 2 with xG estimating 9.05 goals with 6.9. conceded conceding 4.72. In terms of xG the 3-0 result at Everton belies the xG values that had Everton in front.

Goals xG.png

The average positions of the starting line-ups are below and show mixed systems. At home the formation has been attacking whilst away, where there had had lower xG than the opponents, it has been more defensive. Against Everton there was very little width, although this seems an outlier.

Av pos.png

McTominay has scored twice (both in the Chelsea game) with 4 players on 1 goal each. Assists have come from 4 different players.

The following graph compares summary stats of Man U and AFCB over the last 4 games. Improbably, AFCB are in front in all key statistics except goals conceded; Utd have conceded 11 big chances but only conceded twice. We aren’t going as the massive underdogs we usual are.

Comparison.png

Both teams have had less than 50% possession over the last 4 games. AFCB have created a higher percentage of chances from open play with Man U creating a third of their chances from set plays. Man U have conceded a higher percentage from open play.

Percentages.png

With points in the bank now, and more important games to come, we can just have a go and enjoy this without pressure. We don't know what United team will turn up, but I'm happy we're in a decent place to take advantage should they have an off day.

I get the fatigue concerns, but the opponent must also have some. I feel as though there's a point or three out there for us.
It's true that all teams will have fatigue. The trouble is that we have a few positions currently where rotation is not really an option, so I would expect us to suffer a bit more than many other teams in that regard.

I'm feeling confident.

Only question mark for me is how are our energy levels going to be ?

Unfortunately we have a fair few players who we currently cannot give a rest to.

If we can deliver a 100% performance for 90 minutes, then I'd fancy us to get something.

But we might not be able to sustain our normal energy levels all over the pitch, following two tough matches in a few days. We are lacking depth in certain areas so cannot rotate as much as we would ideally like to at the moment.
That could cost us for this one. I hope not though. I have faith in the boys !
:utc:
I agree.

currently residing in Pittsburgh but lived in Salford/Manchester for nigh on 20 years so am still in contact with loads of my utd supporting mates..a couple of them have already been onto me about the weekend, one thinks we’ll get a result but t’other one thinks a straight forward win for them..they don’t seem to be too happy with their manager or tactics so hopefully we can get something..be nice give the pelters to them instead of getting them

In fairness, Man Utd away is one of those games that are written off. However, it is a 'free hit' and we have nothing to lose. To get something from the game we must not allow them to take the lead as that will inspire them. The longer we can keep it at 0-0 i.e. 20 minutes to go they will become more frustrated and that is the time for us to strike.

Last edited:
Expect some players to rotate in both teams. Given United’s current form and that they have more depth than us, I would be happy with a draw.

;