Manchester United v AFC Bournemouth

Bloody hell what a turn around to what you called our defenders in the Everton game...
The defence is about a lot more than just the back four, the core of the side we have now with Cook and Christie just in front of Zabarnyi and Senesi looks an almost impenetrable force as a unit. At Everton Billing was often our deepest midfielder, I love Billing but as a defensive unit we just don’t work with him as a central midfielder.

As he’s shown in the last two games, he’s at his best as an attacker and can be a difference maker in the final third. It’s not a criticism of him, we just look a bit disjointed with him as a central midfielder. In this way of playing every defensive player has to work in unison like a well oiled unit, if you have even one ‘maverick’ type in there then all of a sudden gaps a plenty will start to appear. Billing just isn’t tactically disciplined enough to play that role in this team, and when he does the entire team suffers because of it. He absolutely is more than good enough to play in one of the attacking roles though, he’s a difference maker in the final third and those are like gold dust.

I said on another thread that that’s one of the best performances I’ve seen in all the years I’ve been supporting AFCB. And I think you may be right, I think there could be special times ahead.
After the Everton debacle I thought there was a whiff of relegation about us - the turnaround has been remarkable and we are a completely different team ….
Kelly and Tavs have both said in recent match programmes about how the players knew that the start had been poor and that we hadn’t been very good , but they were all committed to making it work .
Well , it certainly is working now .
UTCIAD.

As good an away performance as you’re ever likely to see. The balance between pressing as a cohesive unit at the right times and remaining solid and compact when we needed to be was near perfection. Each and every player seems to have a complete understanding of what is expected of them tactically, we are like a perfectly oiled machine at the moment. All credit has to go to Iraola, he’s looking like a bit of a tactical genius at this moment in time. It is no mean feat to set a side up to play so expressively in the attacking third, while simultaneously looking rock solid at the back. Not without spending a hell of a lot more money than we have anyway.
He deserves a rating of 10.5 out of 10 for today.

Neto- 8.5- this as as generous a rating as I’m willing to give a goal keeper who hasn’t really had to make a serious save, he was that well protected. You could argue that this is harsh though as he was near faultless in the way he commanded his penalty area and in his distribution. Particularly impressive was the command he had of his area today, he confidently claimed numerous crosses into the area to provide much needed relief to the back line. Very very assured.

Kerkez- 8.5- another very good showing from him, tenacious and determined while displaying an almost endless level of energy to get up and down the wing. He made one double block at the beginning of the first half that displayed Steve Cook levels of giving everything for the cause. He’d be marked even higher but I felt like it took him a half to really get to grips with Antony, who did get the better of him at times in the opening period. That really is knit picking though, he has every ingredient to be a top modern day full back.

Senesi- 10- I honestly don’t know what else I could possibly give him. He was utterly dominant and commanding in both boxes, made a number of key interceptions, read the game impeccably, distributed the ball effectively and even popped up with a goal. I’m struggling to pinpoint an aspect of his performance that wasn’t perfect today.

Zabarnyi- 9.5- near impeccable again, just not quite at the level of Senesi. But really not far off. Most of what I wrote above for Senesi you could also say about Zabarnyi’s performance, the only very minor difference is that Zab was slightly rash in some of his individual duals. That really is knit picking again though, as that is clearly the way that Iraola wants him to play and he really was immense. His pace and ability to read the game are top notch, and he is so comfortable when being dragged out into wide areas of the pitch. He has every ingredient to be the perfect modern day centre back, he could genuinely be one of the best in the world one day he’s that good.

Smith- 8.5- worked and fought tirelessly, did not let a very talented winger get the better of him. His renaissance continues. He was very good, solid defensively and unlucky not to register an assist with a perfect through ball to Solanke. Playing in a pressing side suits his tenacious nature down to the ground.

Cook- 10- again, I’m struggling to think of an aspect of his game that wasn’t perfect. He was quite literally always in the right place at the right time to snuff out their attacking threat, he read the game perfectly. Not only that but he was strong and decisive in his duals and made a number of key tackles. His distribution was also immense and he set us on the counter multiple times, he even registered an assist by combining his immense reading of the game with a perfectly executed cut back. His best performance in a Bournemouth shirt.

Christie- 9.5- again displayed an endless supply of energy and tenacity. Covered every single blade of grass and was constantly tracking midfield runners to block off passing lanes. It’s also so impressive the way he carries the ball from deep, watching him pick the ball up in our half and weave past two or three is just becoming the norm now. If he could score he would be the perfect box to box midfielder, but I’m actually glad he can’t because if he could then he’d be playing for Liverpool or Arsenal right now and not us. I can’t remember a Bournemouth midfielder ever putting in this level of performance on a weekly basis, it’s actually insane. It’s like Arter against Man United at home but it’s every. Single. Week. Stunning.

Tavernier- 9.5- what a player. Superb display of endless work rate, superb ball carrying and the end product to top it all off. Another one who, on this showing, has every ingredient to go to the very top. Would be stunned if he doesn’t play for England in the next year or so. One of the best dribblers and creators in the league. How Middlesbrough thought it best to play him in central midfield is a total mystery, honestly aren’t many wingers in the league I would take over him.

Semenyo- 8- a constant threat with his pace and physicality, they couldn’t handle him. Physically he was almost unstoppable and he is so graceful when he glides with the ball at pace. Could have had an assist or two on another day, he works so hard defensively too. He’s like Adama Traore but with an end product and a footballing brain.

Solanke- 9.5- virtually the complete strikers performance, superb movement and anticipation, a constant threat running the channels and in behind their back line, impeccable hold up play, brought others into play with intelligent use of the ball and the finish for his goal was world class. Aside from Haaland and maybe Watkins I’m not sure there is a better striker in the league right now, genuinely. I hope that when the heavy weights come calling, which they will, that we quote them £100+ because in the modern market he is honestly worth that.

What. A. Team.

Great post, really well written. Cheers

Championship side, Burnley with a pier, some great remarks from Manure fans.
They really feel entitled. Something really wrong with the EPL when teams like Bournemouth are allowed to beat them at home..

And billing was the perfect substitution in this game. It wasn’t about just the high press, we were making so much space that PB was able to exploit it perfect.

United had their moments but overall they were full or errors and hesitation. We have played this way for a few games now so it won’t have been a surprise. They could no more cope with us than Villa did.

Becoming a habit now innit.

I can't say enough good things about today's performance. Probably the best I've seen in my few years watching. There was not one appearance for AFCB that I can look at and say "that guy did not have a good game." The sum is greater than the parts right now. They are playing for each other and with amazing coordination. The defense really didn't do a thing wrong that I could see. Neto did a great job claiming everything. My favorite was Billing's goal. The main TV camera gave a great view. I saw Phil start his run, wave for the ball. I saw that Tavernier had seen him. Then it was just waiting for cross and the inevitable conclusion. Sublime.
Let me also call out that would-be fourth goal. Christie helped get that started because he was still RUNNING LIKE A MADMAN at that late, late stage of the game. I did say that on current form I thought we would mow some teams down. I confess that I had more Luton and Forest in mind than Man. Utd. at Old Trafford.

Last edited:
Sherwood was no better with his commentary. An absolute joke, utterly clueless and bias. He was a useless manager and is now an embarrassment as a commentator.
Agreed.I recorded all Sky coverage including reaction and BBC Final score and the only person deriding AFCB was Sherwood who couldn't stop himself from saying MU just weren't good enough.
Compare to other pundits together with those on Final score and they just couldn't praise us enough for that performance.
They went to the commentator for this game who once again praised AFCB.Outstanding was mentioned more than once.
As a proviso he did mention that WE AĹL KNOW what the headlines will be tomorrow.

Just got off of a plane at Stansted. I have to nip into the gents to put my head into a sink of freezing water to come to terms with this. Simply amazing! I am numbed.

I suppose the media will now be focusing on why Man Utd lost as opposed ti how we had won? Typical!

Well done AFCB! You have made history today!

;