Massive.....

West Moors Cherry - 9/3/2018 10:39

Agree with SDD, Brighton still has far better buses and train links to their stadium.

Plus all bus journey's are free with a match ticket.

Again, why couldn't we do the same?

If we offered free public transport within a 15 mile radius, like Brighton do, then surely it would deflect a lot of the resistance to a bigger stadium, caused by fears of extra traffic congestion ?

RoyalCherry - 9/3/2018 13:52

West Moors Cherry - 9/3/2018 10:39

Agree with SDD, Brighton still has far better buses and train links to their stadium.

Plus all bus journey's are free with a match ticket.

Again, why couldn't we do the same?

No reason we couldn't. Also no reason we couldn't have done it for the last 20 years either.

We can offer free travel but we can't reverse the Beeching cuts and build train lines to Ringwood, Verwood, Wimborne, Blandford, Broadstone, Swanage etc etc....

There would be no cheap tickets in this scenario either as the costs would be added to the cost of tickets.

Such a shame those railway lines are gone, but i guess the cost now would be astronomical if they were still running.

I'd still need a lift home from West Moors "station" though as its hard to walk after a pre-match session in the QP!

To compare Bournemouth to Brighton is ludicrous... sorry... Brighton, as a town is much more heavily populated, 'is' a footballing town, and as has been pointed out before, has a better rail and road links for its surrounds...

OK, so we could offer free bus and train travel with out match tickets, but again, we could have done this before and haven't... We have two lines into Bournemouth station (west and east) and whilst it's not a million miles away, the ground is not exactly close to BMTH station.

I'm sorry but to think we can sustain more than 20-23k is a pipe dream... We are not a footballing town, due to the number of folk relocating here and 'natives' moving away... While to the West of us we have a very sparsely populated area.

Build it small and modular... Lets not get above our station... :grin:

Open the platforms at Boscombe again to add another nearby entry/exit station.

I agree with 20-23k, but leave provisions to expand it a bit like Brighton did?

While I agree we are not historicaly a ‘ football town ‘ the fact is that at one point no town in the country was a football town. Success brings greater interest and the teams that have the greatest success on the whole pullin the biggest crowds. To say we would never get more than 25k i don’t believe , just like I didn’t believe we would be in the premier league :).

So why is Brighton a football town and we aren't. I don't accept that by the way.
Population, Brighton and Hove is circa 280,000, Bournemouth Poole Xchurch is 460,000 (2011 census figs).
Brighton area also attracts many retirees particularly from the London area. Both towns have thriving university populations as well as industrial areas.
Historically Brighton have had more success than us with spells in the now PL, sustained spells at Championship level etc as well as a cup final appearance.
I see no reason why we can't attract the gates that Brighton get. It's all about getting the ground built and making it as accessible and cheap as possible for people.

If you compare like with like the urban areas are pretty much the same population.

The transport issue is a big one in my view because you've got loads of towns outside the immediate Brighton area linked to Brighton. There is no competition in any of these places (other than Crawley) whereas the one line we have here goes straight to Southampton just as easily.

This may be controversial but in my opinion Brighton, like Pompey and most northern towns has a greater level of local pride and community than Bournemouth.

Sorry Roger - 8/3/2018 21:23

I would agree with you Derek if the Amex was within an easy walk of Brighton Station. It isn't. It is at the equivalent of Hinton Admiral.

Kings Park is much more accessible.

But the Amex has Falmer Station literally right by the stadium so in that respect KP is not more accessible.

Not sure I buy that people in Brighton have more local pride and identity. I worked for Legal & General for five years during the Withdean era, spending 1 or 2 days a week in its Hove office. When there I needed to hot desk. There was one desk (which I refused to work at) bedecked in BHA paraphernalia, the rest more often than not had mouse mats etc for the usual suspects of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and so on.

Lots of my colleagues were blowins, having gone to Brighton for Uni, liked it and stayed on. Or else moved down from London when they started having sprogs. Question for Dave Whitehead: which category are you?

Of those that were Sussex born and bred, I would say most were half heartedly Brighton fans. I bet they aren't half hearted now.

My point is that Brighton's starting point was similar to ours, and they have grown to be able to fill a 30k stadium every week. (Incidentally when the Amex opened it was a bit smaller, about 25k I think.) We could do the same easily, especially given the quality of football we serve up.

Comparisons with crowds in the MacDougall era are not of much relevance because the demographics have shifted: football crowds are no longer overwhelmingly working class and male, and the south east Dorset conurbation's population has grown faster than most other places in the UK.

Build it and they will come!

I don't doubt that we could get 25k I just think we'll always be that bit smaller than Brighton in terms of fanbase for the reason's mentioned. Watford, Reading, Swansea, Huddersfield are the level we are.

The reason I say Brighton has a stronger sense of local pride/community is that it has a sense of identity that Bournemouth doesn't have. That said I also think Bristol and Cardiff have a greater sense of identity and their support to population ratios are pretty dreadful.

I lived in Reading from birth in 1985 uptil early 2008. Started supporting the Cherries when I got here and haven't looked back. There will be others that do the same too

Back in the seventies, Infrastructure often got bigger crowds than us IIRC. We got 22k at home to them, when it was reversed they had 30k.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't have aspirations.

RobTrent - 9/3/2018 20:08

Back in the seventies, Infrastructure often got bigger crowds than us IIRC. We got 22k at home to them, when it was reversed they had 30k.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't have aspirations.

Exactly. Building a 25000 seater stadium which can be increased will allow us to grow. I believe that the Premier League will only get bigger and even when we drop out of it, which all teams will do (what happens when Abramovich pulls out of Chelsea for example... none of us live forever after all), a good infrastructure gives us the platform to bounce back. In the late 90s who thought Leeds would drop out of the top flight? Wolves are bouncing back, Reading did bounce back and almost did again, Villa will bounce back as will Middlesbrough. Now would they have done if they were at Aggborough, Elm Park and had Villa Park not been developed?

At the current ground, going down may not mean we won't get back but we will be less of a draw considering the big sides in the Championship.

Max will get that investment back, even if it's over a 10 year period

RoyalCherry - 9/3/2018 20:04

I lived in Reading from birth in 1985 uptil early 2008. Started supporting the Cherries when I got here and haven't looked back. There will be others that do the same too

Sorry off subject a bit.......just interested that you were 23 years old then supported another club ?.... or are you still a Reading fan ? As your user name suggests
Just interested

tedisking - 9/3/2018 21:11

RoyalCherry - 9/3/2018 20:04

Sorry off subject a bit.......just interested that you were 23 years old then supported another club ?.... or are you still a Reading fan ? As your user name suggests
Just interested

I moved down here 10 years ago. Yes, I do still follow Reading and always will do but it's from afar now. I will keep an eye out for results but I'll be at Dean Court when I do it. I love football and started supporting in the days with buckets collecting money. My children were born here and my eldest (the youngest is only 18 months) is Bournemouth mad. It might sound odd to some and I'm use to the friendly jibes but I was there at the start of the incredible rise and will be there if and when the club struggle in the future.

Never really imagined when I first got here that we would be where we are now. From people up there I do get stick but they were the same ones giving me stick back in 2009 asking me what playing Carlisle was like.

Can't help where you are born

;