Match Officials last night

Merleyfan

Reserves
Generally thought they had a good game. However why do they not start booking players when they start screaming obscenities at them? During the 1st half, after rightly being given offside, a Cardiff player screamed at the assistant referee You f***ing c***. which I could hear from row L. I just don’t understand why action isn’t taken by the FA and officials. The FA keep bleating on about respect but do nothing to stamp out disrespect.

As mentioned on the Lerma thread incident, the problem in the game is lack of consistency.

not that old chestnut! I will never understand how on earth fans expect different humans in a different situation expect consistency. you will be disappointed. just be glad someone is doing a v difficult job, attempting to apply increasingly complicated rules of the game, to increasingly tricky situations is my advice.....

If they can get away with it players won’t stop.

Maybe the officials are too worried they will be accused of being over fussy and making a mess of the game if they book or even send off players for dissent regularly but it might stop eventually?

Maybe rugby style rules need to come in - captains speak only and refs are mic’d up in play so everyone can hear what is being said ?

Refs tend to be weak characters in my opinion. Refereeing gives them a bit of power which they don’t get during their working week

Refs tend to be weak characters in my opinion. Refereeing gives them a bit of power which they don’t get during their working week
So these individuals stand in front of tens of thousands of fans, knowing that every decision will be scrutinised and that whatever choice they make will be wrong in the eyes of half the fans, they get criticised regularly by coaching staff who are mainly trying to disguise their own failings and some of the players act like the Cardiff no 6 did last night and then they come back next week and do it all again.

And you think they are weak?

Thought the linesman infront of the east stand was a little suspect but compared to the officials we have had of late not bad

I think you might be being a little generous. All I ask of a lino is to be be in line, he wasn’t for most of the game. He was so far behind the play for the move when Travers saved from Moore as he slid in, it was laughable.

it leads to the position that the crowd think he is wrong every time, he wasn’t good, but he got some right that he was being criticised for.

I’m past hoping that a lino has an opinion. They are mic’d up and talk to each other before making the decision. A lino never obviously goes against a ref.

So these individuals stand in front of tens of thousands of fans, knowing that every decision will be scrutinised and that whatever choice they make will be wrong in the eyes of half the fans, they get criticised regularly by coaching staff who are mainly trying to disguise their own failings and some of the players act like the Cardiff no 6 did last night and then they come back next week and do it all again.

And you think they are weak?
Thank you NotMarcJackson.

Valencian, you write as though you have never been a high performance match official. The countless hours dedicated to becoming physically capable of running and turning with very skilled athletes, then becoming match fit and having to retain that level week after week in all weathers.
Fitness tests, examinations on Laws of the Game which change annually, starting at grassroots games and competing for eventual promotion to senior competitive games. Realising that there are age limits to promotion and sacrificing time with a spouse and your children. Forgoing holidays because you are required to officiate at a tournament somewhere.

All this on top of holding a regular job to pay the bills (professional referees aside of course).

Speak to me again about "weak referees" when you've worn the shoes and walked the journey. Until then don't insult the people like me who make the sacrifice so that you and your mates can enjoy a football match and then slag me off.

you're sounding a little elitist brian, is there something you'd like to share?!

Maybe I'm training myself up to join the Elitists....now that we are on full steam for the PL...put me cloth cap on back to front...
...yesterday I gave a local Bristol Rover OAP a friendly dig in the ribs....and asked him " where's Yer Smash and Grab's now then Gasboy ?".

rugby refs don't come over as weak, far from it when you hear them communicate with players when their mic'd up
granted, rugby has a different ethos when it comes to officials
perhaps it's the toxic work environment that makes football refs seem weak?

rugby refs don't come over as weak, far from it when you hear them communicate with players when their mic'd up
granted, rugby has a different ethos when it comes to officials
perhaps it's the toxic work environment that makes football refs seem weak?

maybe thats why the FA keep asking some clubs to make their players control themselves a little better!

Thank you NotMarcJackson.

Valencian, you write as though you have never been a high performance match official. The countless hours dedicated to becoming physically capable of running and turning with very skilled athletes, then becoming match fit and having to retain that level week after week in all weathers.
Fitness tests, examinations on Laws of the Game which change annually, starting at grassroots games and competing for eventual promotion to senior competitive games. Realising that there are age limits to promotion and sacrificing time with a spouse and your children. Forgoing holidays because you are required to officiate at a tournament somewhere.

All this on top of holding a regular job to pay the bills (professional referees aside of course).

Speak to me again about "weak referees" when you've worn the shoes and walked the journey. Until then don't insult the people like me who make the sacrifice so that you and your mates can enjoy a football match and then slag me off.
Having played and umpired fast-pitch softball at a fairly high provincial level, I can say that the biggest thing that an official has going for him is his reputation. If you are a good umpire, and are known as such, you get some slack from most players when you do make a bad call (and you do know it immediately when you make a bad call, and if it alters the outcome of the game, it keeps you awake that night going over it in your head).

The second thing is having a decent sense of humour and not being a hothead. Again, having played, I know that you react in ways that you immediately regret .... you know damn well he made the right call, but your disappointment that it went against your team generates a bad reaction. So a good umpire lets it slide .... no need to be a tinpot demagogue out there.

Finally, the player's reputation also has a lot to do with it. We've all played with guys who wouldn't say **************** if they had a mouthful of it, so if that player reacts to a call, most umpires will let it go, and probably will ask themselves if they may not have got it wrong.

Players reacting to every call, wagging fingers, waving their arms about .... especially when they know full well that the call was right .... create problems for themselves.

I remember once criticizing an umpire to one of his fellow umpires after a game. The umpire with whom I was speaking said "maybe he's just not very good at this". Truer words, etc.....

;