Match Report and MOM v Arsenal

Talking of formations, what about the Arsenal set up to defend our corners second half. All 10 back into a square formation in the middle of the penalty box. Not sesn that before - our high goal % from set pieces this season presumably the reason.

Watching Arsenal TV record live outside the ground was quite amusing....until they spotted my lads tracksuit top under his coat...then we were told to jog on...

I noticed the corner formation as well.

Not seen that before at any level.

Can't see it being effective long term as there must be some pretty straightforward corner routines that would negate it once you know that a team is going to do that.

On the subject of corners, they had 3 or 4 corners in the first half where Jack was stood pretty much unmarked just outside the box; available for a swift ball along the ground to him, but Arsenal just kept swinging it in near post, to no real effect.

Am i mistaken but the complete difference yesterday in our play was that we just got the ball forward quicker at every opportunity compared to the Eddie way of 20 passes before the ball reaches the oppositions penalty box? Surely Eddies not listening to Souness, Redknapp, Shearer and half of all Boscombe fans?

Valencian - 15/1/2018 08:24

Am i mistaken but the complete difference yesterday in our play was that we just got the ball forward quicker at every opportunity compared to the Eddie way of 20 passes before the ball reaches the oppositions penalty box? Surely Eddies not listening to Souness, Redknapp, Shearer and half of all Boscombe fans?

I thought we played more like the old Eddie way. As soon as Francis got the ball for the first time he played a long ball down the wing for Wilson. Its something we simply haven't done since he came back but was a staple in our Champ winning side.

L.Cook and Gosling were both doing so much running to cover Arsenal runners, that often we didn't have a central midfielder as such in position to receive a short ball. So with Callum running the channels with Ibe/Fraser for backup, a ball over the top into the channel became the obvious way to go. And it brought us so many throw-ins etc from which to then build an attack using the more intricate stuff.

We need to do this more.

... I think that we performed okay and had a bit more pace in our game than of late?

There is no doubt that Franno is better going forward than defending, likewise Daniels yesterday. Ibe has given us something different and most of us don't know what he is going to do when he has the ball!

I though that Smith showed lots of desire and energy all over the pitch and won a fair amount of ball from their players. Dan Gosling looked committed and put himself about too. Fraser showed glimpses of his potential, his cross in was sublime for Wilson's goal, and Callum troubled their defence with his niggling and beavering away at them. Jack Wilshere still looked the best player in the game, and Lewis Cook would do well to watch how he plays closely in matches. Lewis showed some good turns but that killer ball was lacking at times.

All in all we battled hard and got the breaks our play later in the game deserved.

I had to laugh at something that I picked up on the moaning Arsenal TV site...a bloke said that Walcott was born offside, an so it was!

Still think we need a midfielder just to sit

Yesterday was alarming in the sense that the hole in centre mid at times was massive
Surely a holding midfielder would allow the attacking players more freedom

bpl234 - 15/1/2018 06:07

Still think we need a midfielder just to sit

Yesterday was alarming in the sense that the hole in centre mid at times was massive
Surely a holding midfielder would allow the attacking players more freedom

That’s what gosling and Surman do

"Lewis showed some good turns but that killer ball was lacking at times."

Apart from the one that led to our equaliser!
I see them as very similar players. Both are excellent at times and I'm glad we have the younger one! That said Jack would be welcome here anytime, great for us last season despite some of the specsaver members on here.

:Zzzz: We play differently depending on the game in question.

They're all the "Eddie way" or is he only at fault for when it doesn't work out and it's "expert pundits" who get the plaudits for when it does work?

Neil Dawson - 15/1/2018 08:11

Watching Arsenal TV record live outside the ground was quite amusing....until they spotted my lads tracksuit top under his coat...then we were told to jog on...

How brave of them.

northstandmark - 15/1/2018 08:53

L.Cook and Gosling were both doing so much running to cover Arsenal runners, that often we didn't have a central midfielder as such in position to receive a short ball. So with Callum running the channels with Ibe/Fraser for backup, a ball over the top into the channel became the obvious way to go. And it brought us so many throw-ins etc from which to then build an attack using the more intricate stuff.

We need to do this more.

Dan Gosling ran 0.4 miles more than any other PL player this weekend

DJ - 15/1/2018 16:58

They're all the "Eddie way" or is he only at fault for when it doesn't work out and it's "expert pundits" who get the plaudits for when it does work?

Really?
Certinaly not in the last four or five years DJ
Eddie is renowned for percentage stats and keep ball.
It’s starting to change.

paul49 - 14/1/2018 21:57

Neil Dawson - 14/1/2018 21:50

Wilshere gave the Bournemouth side of the East stand a big clap above his head for quite a while. Eddie went straight to him and said something.....as did Jason.

Nice picture of Eddie with his arm around Wilshere walking off the pitch at the end of the game.

Swapped shirts with Benek at the end too.

Valencian - 15/1/2018 21:54

DJ - 15/1/2018 16:58

Really?
Certinaly not in the last four or five years DJ
Eddie is renowned for percentage stats and keep ball.
It’s starting to change.

Five years ago we were mid way through what turned out to be a promotion season from the third tier.

You believe we've played the same tempo and style for all that time? :laugh:

The system, the formation, the style and tempo all alters depending on personnel available and the opposition we face.

Tempo also often depends on confidence. Go on a good run of results, play with confidence and a bit of swagger and teams will often press quicker and higher up the pitch, will play passes that if they're low on confidence they would not risk through fear of failure etc etc, won't take on that extra man, won't shoot and so on and so on.

But yes, the recent change is currently all down to what Souness said on Sky... :lol:

;