Match Report and MOM v Brighton....

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Phew.......

Sometimes, a result is more important than a performance. It is an old cliché but like all old clichés it's there because its a truism. Tonight, a Bournemouth side that couldn't buy a win came from behind to beat a dogged Brighton side. It flowed like the Nile until the last third of the pitch where it turned into a tap with a slow rusting washer...... and some old frailties were still there... but the team dug in and got the three points necessary to keep in touch with the pack.

A much speculated about selection process saw Eddie revert to the 4-4-1-1 and as many Championship personnel as possible. Standard fayre when he gets in a crisis. Back came Pugh, Surman, Francis - Cook missing out with a knee knock and it was a very familiar looking set up.

It started that way too with Pugh and Daniels weaving their old transitional switches down the left hand side and the back four playing high and penning Brighton in. The final ball was frequently poor though and resembling the game of attack and defence training exercise the whole thing started again. The first chance fell to Brighton on their first break - Knockaert firing wide.

At the other end the frustration of the crowd grew as time and time again a 70 pass move would eventually find a winger to either fall over and lose it at the optimum crossing moment (Pugh) or fall over and lose it at the optimum crossing moment (Fraser). Defoe and King were looking forlorn as Brighton defended so deep they had no space and just ran sideways and sideways pointing at a channel nobody could see.

A rare mistake from Duffy let King fire but Dunk blocked bravely and Pugh sliced wide when well placed. Arter was having another misfiring game and he presented the ball to the impressive Knockeart but his beautiful chip grazed the top of the net.

Bournemouth's second best spell of the match came just before the whistle. The passes started to speed up a little and Defoe was finally given a sniff that he thumped inches wide with no back-lift to a nice ooh from the crowd. Again though, final balls were awful, particularly from wee man.

HT Bournemouth 0 Brighton 0

Bournemouth were very sleepy after the break and seemed to have lost all their zap. Their inability to defend any form of set piece looked like it was coming to haunt them but Surman cleared off the line from the unmarked Duffy's header before an even bigger scare came when Stephens stole in unmarked from the next set-piece to head against the underside of the crossbar. Both contacts were met near the six yard box with Begovic refusing to come off his line.

Brighton were really dominant and Bournemouth's shape had fallen apart and the inevitable goal arrived. MARCH is not renowned for his heading prowess but his bonce connected with Gross's cross six yards out again with Begovic rooted to his line.

Make or break time for Bournemouth really and Eddie made an inspired move taking off an off-colour wee-man for the unpredictable Ibe. The ex-Liverpool wideman turned this game on it's head as the home side had a ten minute purple patch born out of desperation.

First his clever back heel 1-2 to SURMAN saw the maligned midfielder weave into the Brighton box and pass the ball into the bottom corner with his trusty left boot. His first premiership goal for the club.

Game on and with the home team now starting to find crisp passing the second wasn't far behind. Again it was Ibe who was pivotal, controlling a high clearance from a corner, slipping between two men and playing a slide-rule pass to DEFOE. Once the diminutive hit man moved onto the ball you knew what was coming......one smote of his right boot and the ball was across Ryan and into the net to send the crowd wild.

Afobe came on for a lively cameo for Defoe and Bournemouth looked safe, a few defensive slips from Franno aside. A collective roar of relief greeting the final whistle.

FT Bournemouth 2 Brighton 1

Begovic 5 - Not commanding six yard box at all.

Smith 6 - Some bright attacking moments but a little shaky at times.
Francis 5 - Very slippy and off -colour performance from skip.
Ake 8 - Back to his best and dominant on ground and in air.
Daniels 7 - Nice link play, solid defending, classy.

Fraser 4 - Awful I thought. Always knocked onto butt and wayward.
Arter 5 - Misfiring passes left right and centre. Kept working.
Surman 7 - Grew into classy passing and pick of midfield. Scored!
Pugh 6 - Flattered to deceive at times but kept at it.

King 5 - Not at the races at all. Badly out of sorts.
Defoe 6 - Looking very disjointed but only needs service as shown!

Subs - Ibe 8 - great to see, intelligent and hurting opposition. Afobe 7 - a great disrupter to bring on.

MOM - Ake for me - a faultless display at the back, intelligent, athletic and calm in possession.

Verdict
Crucial win with an element of papering over cracks. That's my game in a sentence!

Positives - Three points. Ake back to best. Defoe getting the monkey off his back with a vintage strike but above all did we have a game changing Sky TV performance from Ibe that will have the galvanising effect on him and the relationship with us that Fraser enjoyed after Liverpool last year.

Negatives - Still very laboured with precious little chance creation. Francis continued poor form as did Arter, Fraser and King. All massive players for us and the system just doesn't seem to be working for them. Begovic as well - how hard is it to come for a cross when you are his size?

So, much to ponder for Eddie as he get's ready for the trip to Everton (reserve game against Brighton in the week aside). He will know that play like today there, and against Spurs and we will be on three points after 7 games and deep in the doo-doo. My view on it is simples. No point playing two up top unless you get the ball forwards quickly. If you want to do it with a lot of pretty intricate passing it will break down with the front two/four all standing with their back to goal, impotent and frustrated.

If you want to do it this way you need a 5 man midfield and one up top. Like against Man City. We are playing the wrong style for our formation - particularly now with Defoe who doesn't link or do channels - you get the ball to him. This leaves King with nobody to dovetail with and we have gained one great goalscorer at the expense of the other so net off neutral just with less movement.

Central midfield deficiencies still there and we still wonder what Cook has to do to get a game - another reason to play three. Do that though and one of King or Defoe has to go....unless you can persuade King to be a winger again - maybe with Ibe as a dynamic front three. The other option is (and I never thought I'd say this) you may need Afobe if you want to go two up top so you have a different threat...

Three points, the joy of a comeback against local rivals, a blessed relief but still much to do to get the season back on track I feel. Still - let's just enjoy the moment, they are hard to come by in this league!

Surman was my MoM. Didn't put a foot wrong all game. Was the pick of the bunch first half and his cut to wrong foot the defender and low finish was reminiscent of Wilson goal at Brighton our promotion year. He also seemed to find some ranged passing in the second half. Something that allowed us to stretch Brighton

Surman 7! Is he the new Rantie?

Could feel slightly aggrieved to not win MoM. Obviously if you're the sponsor it's important to have your photo taken with the record signing.

I don't get to have my photo with him and still think he was best player on pitch.

Surman had a dodgy first twenty but was at Ake level after that.

Overall a poor game from both sides. Daniels was our best attacking player for most of the game. How poor do we have to be for cook to play. Arter was full of mistakes. But. We played poorly and won. Brighton are one team who will finish below us.

I'll have to take your word for it Neil, as I didn't arrive 'til 25' were on the clock. Cracking double clearance by AS off the line. First goal for him since our first season in Divvy 2? (The Championship)

Good report Neil.
Brighton are poor, but we need to sort out OUR priorities. Defoe is a top class striker, we just have to get the ball to him in the "danger zone", and for much of this season we have failed miserably in this department, what he must be thinking I can probably guess. It's not hard..... Feed Defoe and he will score!!!!!!

rgb - 16/9/2017 00:18<br /><br />I'll have to take your word for it Neil, as I didn't arrive 'til 25' were on the clock. Cracking double clearance by AS off the line. First goal for him since our first season in Divvy 2? (The Championship)
<br /><br />I think his last goal was a 25 yard cracker at Forest the year we won the&nbsp;Championship&nbsp;

Great to win, a huge relief, but the performance was.. well, mixed.

The inability of our midfield and defenders to find Defoe, and to a lesser extent King, was ridiculous. Time after time they didn't see JD, his run, where he was pointing.... He made plenty and was so peed off he kept looking and gesturing at EH to do or say something.

There's no point having a red hot striker if you barely ever give him the ball. So credit to Ibe for putting Defoe in for the goal (and for not just shooting himself)

That aside, Ake and Daniels did well I thought, Pugh was OK too, and Ibe keeps slowly improving.

As Neil said Surman started poorly but then went up a gear (although he should be fined for every pass he makes backwards)

Arter and King remain disappointing and need dropping.

But the most telling part of the night for me was the crowd singing Lewis Cook's name... will EH ever get the message?

Your first sentence and your verdict sum it up nicely. All that mattered was three points. Lot's of negatives but enough positives to give us hope.

Absolutely made up for Ibe. He's been our best winger this season before tonight and has been unlucky to not already have one or two assists.

I think you're way too harsh on Begovic - I'm no keeper expert but the corners weren't really his territory from what I saw - he claimed the ones that were. No doubt we're going to have a Moss/Stewart situation again when whichever one is on the bench would definitely have kept a clean sheet and claimed all crosses.

I love Friday games when you win. You can sit back and enjoy your weekend without having to ignore football.

Neil Dawson - 15/9/2017 19:09

I don't get to have my photo with him and still think he was best player on pitch.

Surman had a dodgy first twenty but was at Ake level after that.
ake and the rest of our defense didn't really have much to do for all but 25 mins of the game. Except a lot of recycling of the ball!

Thought we were awful.simon Francis was dreadful.if I was mings I would be wondering what I had to do.every time he gets the ball it's terrifying.should have got rid about 18 months ago.

Rubbish game, but last not was 100% about 3 points, ad getting out season started...

Can't say much more ham has already been said, however... the midfield. We find ourselves in the unenviable position of having 3 central midfielders that are stuttering, yet is there really anything Howe can do, now the window is shut...

Arter is our only midfielder that you'd label as atttacking. Gosling is a grafter and Surman more defensive... The issue with Lewis Cook is he also is more defensive than attacking... Can we really get Cook going with Surman, considering its Arter that really needs to be dropped, on current form...

I've rarely seen Cook play so I don't know the answer, but I don't think it's as simple as just switching up... IMO...

Good report Neil.

As I've said this season Defoe is a luxury to the team if you don't get the ball to him especially if in playing him takes King away from playing his natural game.

Pivotal moment for me was when the Brighton player innocuously fell over in front of the away fans and played dead for ages whilst play switched to the other end and we won a corner. Their physio came on to see to him. I think it was their number 13.

Crucially he wasn't on the pitch for the corner and from the second ball and Defoe scored.

Surman was outstanding last night - definitely my MOM and imo deserved more than a 7.

Good to see his passion and geeing the crowd up after he scored as well.

...it was all about getting a result, but it was painful viewing for long periods (as if Groves had returned!)...Brighton sat back and quite rightly just waited for a set piece, as we are so inept at defending most of them!

Eddie Howe said on Solent that the crowd were getting on the players backs when we went 1-0 down...but all they were doing was singing for Lewis Cook to be brought on...I don't quite know how bad Arter has to play to be dropped?

We had no midfielder who could thread a decent pass to Defoe or King (who isn't looking like the player he was playing behind the striker?)...the game was screaming out for some creativity from us, instead we got sideways and reverse passing, great for possession but awful for a flowing attack or surprise opening up of the opposition defence. we are so easy to play against like that and tbh a better team than Brighton would have destroyed us.

Only plusses for me were Smith and Daniels going forward and some decent tackles from Ake at the back, and Ibe's cameo and energetic pressing,Francis is a liability in defence and Fraser was well below his best.

The result helps but papers over some faultlines that Howe must sort out...

I don't think the crowd were on the players' backs at all. We are the most forgiving crowd. Hard to get an atmosphere going, rather than just some singing, when the quality of play is so desparately poor. No pace anywhere, let alone in attack. In my view we were worse than against Watford, because Brighton are much worse than them.

If Brighton can't beat us after being one nil up then the future for them looks bleak. And I'm very pleased about that.

Good to see Murray get some applause when he came on.

Begovic - 5 Because it doesnt fit Neils narrative. Begovic came for many crosses and claimed them. Far more that Boruc who was picked up constantly by reviews about his lack of cross claiming. Should he have come for the goal? Possibly, possibly not. But he was up there claiming when we needed him to near the end.

A great night under lights that gave us the win we need. Dominated for long periods but couldnt get the ball to the areas that mattered. Brighton came to do nothing and I almost think they didnt know what to do when they scored. We almost needed them to do that to remind of us what we were in our Champ winning season. Just go for it, no one minds a mistake if its a mistake when trying to score. A mistake passing the ball backwards and forwards along the half way line is not forgiven.

Noticeable that the chants for Cook were followed by Arter playing better and Surman scoring, not sure if thats related.

And what a great cameo by Ibe. As two papers said, he did more in 10 mins than he has previously done in a year. Will he be able to do that from the start? I'm guessing we will find out.

The first 60 mins were not as bad as many make out, although they were boring. But the win is a win and it upset North Stand chat so what more could you ask for :)

The first 60 minutes for me were the worst I have seen us in this division. But I was delighted to see us play poorly and win. Not sure what Smith was doing for the goal though. No challenge at all.

;