Match Report and MOM v Huddersfield

In terms of Player Ratings I'd go...

Begovic 9 (MOM): Top drawer saves, intelligent gamesmanship.
Francis 4: Consistent weak link, poor in possession and in the air. Wasn't particularly good going forward either.
Cook 8: Towering display. Captains performance.
Ake 7: Very good game, a few lax moments in possession, but otherwise a return to his better form.
Daniels 4: Very unsure display. Dithered on the ball, poor passing. Didn't link well with the forwards. If only we had an £11 million left back to try out instead...
Fraser 6: Great goal, great assist, but saw little of the ball otherwise.
Lerma 6: Excellent first half with key interceptions; faded in the second.
Cook 5: Very poor second half, moved the ball around fairly well first half.
Brooks 5: Game too physical for him, couldn't influence much. Understandable, and can't fault the endeavor.
King 5: A strange display combining positive, hard working runs and awful show pony nonsense.
Wilson 7: Great goal, great assist. Not supported well enough, was visibly tired in the last 20.

Stanislas 4: Looked very rusty. Improved marginally near the end.
Mousset 2: Infuriating. Came on with 10ish minutes to really make a statement. Refused to pressure the defence, lazily strolled around the pitch like he was at a farmers market. Somehow managed to find time to give the ball away. Petulant booking. Will be lucky to make the bench against Liverpool
Mings N/A: All he did was misplace a pass. I'll be kind and give him an "N/A"

In defence of Mousset..(and yes i know I said he looked tired) he was given very specific instructions to head to the corner glad by Eddie who kept turning him towards the flag and pointing at it when he was waiting to come on. This may have put him in two minds because the twice he had the ball he trundled in that direction. His natural instinct has always been to burst to the box but think he was following specific instructions.

In defence of Mousset..(and yes i know I said he looked tired) he was given very specific instructions to head to the corner glad by Eddie who kept turning him towards the flag and pointing at it when he was waiting to come on. This may have put him in two minds because the twice he had the ball he trundled in that direction. His natural instinct has always been to burst to the box but think he was following specific instructions.

That's probably true. Would it have hurt him to even attempt pressing the defence though?

...hell we are really getting harsh on here criticising a player for playing less than ten minutes!

I think Neil, you’ve just answered the question as to why Brooks went straight into our XI, but 2 years later Ibe & Lys are no nearer the starting line up.

Brooks wouldn’t need to be told what to do in injury time when 2-1 up. Other players just don’t ever seem to grasp simple football common sense.

That's probably true. Would it have hurt him to even attempt pressing the defence though?

I saw Eddie pulling players back earlier in the game clearly telling them not to press.

This season we've been happier not to press so much (or tackle)..Instead rely on lighting counter attacks...there was a decent article a few months back about this subtle change in Eddies tactics.

...marks for the match last night from me would be;

Begovic 8 made some crucial saves and kept us in it.
Francis 6 Not sure how long he can go, but he is looking a target for the opposition to hurt us.
Cook 9 massive effort to stop them from getting through, covered Franno on numerous ocassions.
Ake 8 Put himself on the line on many ocassions, we don't expect any less do we?
Daniels 5 Got caught so many times (not helped by Fraser going missing to support him most of the game) Lost possession often too.
Brooks 5 Muscled out of it and couldn't keep the ball or use his skills due to being shut down constantly.
Cook 6 Battled but looks short of form, gave away the ball too often and was missing when it mattered in the midfield fight.
Lerma 7 Put in some good interceptions and tackles, but also conceded possession to often. Good asset in the air.
Fraser 7 Good going forward but forgot his defensive duties too many times, faded in the second half.
King 6 Anonymous for periods, not gettting much service from his midfield. Couple of poor decisions when on the ball in the penalty area.
Wilson 7 Took his goal well, and his assist for Fraser was excellent, but didn't really get a lot of joy from the Huddersfield defence who marshalled him well.

Stanislas 5 Poor and looked distinctly rusty.
Mousset only had enough time to get a stupid booking for throwing the ball into the stand!
Mings only time to join in the I will clear straight to the opposition game with his one pass out from defence!

Agree with your markings. You have to factor in that Huddersfield gave us hardly any time on the ball anywhere on the pitch, had several taller players and tried to bully us.

Wolves succummed to these tactics and lost 2-0 to them at home recently. I think we would have done last year.

Disappointing to see less than 10k crowd attendance last night. If season ticket holders choose not to go, how about informing the club in advance so that the seat can be resold?
Disappointing to see less than 10k crowd attendance last night. If season ticket holders choose not to go, how about informing the club in advance so that the seat can be resold?

Of course you didn't take account of the fact that Huddersfield didn't sell all their tickets. And of course you clearly don't know about the scheme launched by the club where ST holders can sell their unused tickets. Apart from that you are spot on..................................

I saw Eddie pulling players back earlier in the game clearly telling them not to press.

This season we've been happier not to press so much (or tackle)..Instead rely on lighting counter attacks...there was a decent article a few months back about this subtle change in Eddies tactics.

I understand doing that as an initial tactic, and I agree with it too. But when you only have 5 minutes left, and the Huddersfield players are just sort of rolling it around the back building momentum, it would have been nice to see Mousset put them under a bit of pressure

Of course you didn't take account of the fact that Huddersfield didn't sell all their tickets. And of course you clearly don't know about the scheme launched by the club where ST holders can sell their unused tickets. Apart from that you are spot on..................................

Yes a fair point about the away tickets. But we were at least 1500 short of the normal full house gate. I can only assume that there were only 500 Huddersfiled fans there? As the away holds 2000 I am led to believe.

Correct I don't know for certain if we will get anything from Liverpool or not, but in all fairness and realistically, we won't. It is no disgrace losing up there but it is very highly likely. I personally do not care in the slightest if people like me or not. I certainly do not take a dislike to anybody who posts opinions that I disagree with, I simply ignore it and do not launch a personal crusade against them as is the case with the Bournemouth Echo forum.

You do know we're playing them at Dean Court - 1230 k-o - this coming Saturday?

Yes a fair point about the away tickets. But we were at least 1500 short of the normal full house gate. I can only assume that there were only 500 Huddersfiled fans there? As the away holds 2000 I am led to believe.

You've been led by the nose. The Away supporter allocation at Dean Court is, ~1,200.

Good match report Neil, although King made a smart pass to Wilson, who set up Fraser for our second and JK also worked hard, so gets a 5.5 from me.

After our 2nd goal, JT called Franno over (or are we calling him Generalissmo these days?) and had a lengthy chat, which Eddie joined in; following which we proceeded to give away possession and defend deeply. It seems odd and it wasn't pretty but if it was tactical to stop the rot of 4 x defeats on the trot and get some points on the board, it worked.

Well the capacity is not much more than 11,000 now what with the large no of seats given over to press, plus much needed additional areas for disabled fans etc. Our largest crowd was a few under 11,000 for Southampton so last night was about 1,000 down - prob half of that due to Huddersfield selling 900 of their 1400 allocation. the rest are no shows, families with young kids that don't go to evening games or people with ST's that live a long way away. As stated the club have implemented a scheme for trading in unused ST's. so this should help.

Well the capacity is not much more than 11,000 now what with the large no of seats given over to press, plus much needed additional areas for disabled fans etc. Our largest crowd was a few under 11,000 for Southampton so last night was about 1,000 down - prob half of that due to Huddersfield selling 900 of their 1400 allocation. the rest are no shows, families with young kids that don't go to evening games or people with ST's that live a long way away. As stated the club have implemented a scheme for trading in unused ST's. so this should help.

Thanks for the update.

Mr Smhinto I recall your name from The Echo comments section which I gave up on a long time ago (fight phone box scenario). I believe that you live in Lincoln but what is your connection with AFC Bournemouth and the town?

;