Match Report: Brighton v Cherries

Glancing through Newspapers today ive found 3 giving Gosling top or equal top marks .....this often occurs......I think some on here have a twisted way of how football works!

Last edited:
I disagree with that, and I’m probably the biggest critic of the system I know.

What I will never say is that we won’t ever win or play well playing 4-4-2. That would be as daft as saying if we played five in midfield we would win and play well every week.

My personal opinion is there is a reason why every top team in the world play with a midfield three of some description. I also believe if we are going to fulfill ours and Eddies own potential we need to get effective at playing this system too. A demolishing of a poor side on an off day doesn’t change that opinion, I have no doubt we will beat Fulham heavily with it too.

Leicester won the league with 4-4-2 and gave up possession and played on the break even at home. It’s the most incredible title victory ever. Athletico Madrid have had comparative success in the same manner. I’m not saying 4-4-2 therefore is not effective, I just think for the way we play and the players we have a three man central midfield would be a better results system against the mid to top table teams for us and a better performances system against everyone.

Genuine question, not a trick one!

How does this three man midfield work....433 or the 352 we used on Saturday?

Genuine question, not a trick one!

How does this three man midfield work....433 or the 352 we used on Saturday?

As a 4-3-3 it would mean King and Fraser either side of Wilson up front. Midfield three of Gosling and Lerma holding (Cook and Lerma when fit) with Brooks in behind front two.

With 3-5-2 Fraser would need to be a wing back with King and Wilson up front and Brooks in behind.

As a 4-3-3 it would mean King and Fraser either side of Wilson up front. Midfield three of Gosling and Lerma holding (Cook and Lerma when fit) with Brooks in behind front two.

With 3-5-2 Fraser would need to be a wing back with King and Wilson up front and Brooks in behind.

Fair do's, about how I thought....I do like 352, I must admit, I like the thought of Brooks in behind whichever two are up front.

If Lewis Cook creates from deep and Lerma wins the ball back with Brooks scheming that’s as good a midfield as you will find outside the top four.
That all sounds great .....although 433 isn't really a midfield 3 as most people would understand it imo but if we lined up like that against Fulham i'd be all for it........surprised you'd advocate using Fraser as a wing back though Neil ....thought you hated the idea.

That all sounds great .....although 433 isn't really a midfield 3 as most people would understand it imo but if we lined up like that against Fulham i'd be all for it........surprised you'd advocate using Fraser as a wing back though Neil ....thought you hated the idea.

I wouldn’t play 3-5-2 as I don’t like the idea. The question was if we did who would play there so I answered it with my opinion.

I wouldn’t play 3-5-2 as I don’t like the idea. The question was if we did who would play there so I answered it with my opinion.
Ah i see....you can understand my confusion though.....:grinning:......tbh when when you mentioned a three in midfield most people would think 352 or 451.....433 is entirely different imho.

Ah i see....you can understand my confusion though.....:grinning:......tbh when when you mentioned a three in midfield most people would think 352 or 451.....433 is entirely different imho.

4-3-3 is 4-5-1 to me. It’s just the transition from defence to attack.

;