Match Report & MOM AFCB v Arsenal FA Cup 4th Rnd

I don't see much point in recruiting... we're not one clinical finisher or a tricky winger away from being competitive. The issue, as it has been for 18 months, is with the whole team and the way they're being set up.

Even with injuries, we have a squad good enough to stay up if the tactics are right and players are played in their right positions. Unless Howe goes back to the pressing, aggressive football (like we finally did last 60 v Brighton) then we're going down. Signing anyone without doing that would just be a waste of money and add to the financial difficulties in the summer.

Problem - for months we've lacked even a hint of midfield creativity. Without Brooks we're sterile ... the reason defenders play back-and-forth at the back and punt hopefully up the pitch. Our midfielders (Lerma excepted) are pedestrian - they seem unable to hold, turn and pass without losing the ball. The forwards are isolated and the defence often under continuous pressure.

I'd love to see the youngsters given a try ... what's up with Kilkenny, who looked so promising?? But if not, recruitment's the only option. Danger ... in three months we'll hear the same old song: "get the tactics right, produce more effort". But it's not working.

Mings has benefitted from regular first team football and a new start. He’s still an accident waiting to happen and costs Aston Villa a large amount of goals. Even Villa fans who treated him like he was the second coming have begun to turn a little after seeing more and more of him.

Mousset is still in and out of the team at Sheffield United behind David McGoldrick.
...you mean Mings the England international?...and Mousset who has scored more goals than Solanke?

...you mean Mings the England international?...and Mousset who has scored more goals than Solanke?

That’s the one (or two).

Yes Mings who got the media support at the right time to play for England against very poor opposition, but still wouldn’t get in our side ahead of Nathan Ake.

and Mousset benefiting from an attacking team and momentum, who would still be behind Callum Wilson and Joshua King for the number 9 spot here.

Stacey, mepham, ramsdale have been the light at the end of the tunnel, the pl ready billing, solanke and h wilson havent been up to scratch.lewis cook has gone backwards.

The management dont seem to be confident of the best players and formation.

You are technically correct, but I wouldn't use Mings being an international as a measure of his quality as a player. I truly don't understand why he's there, and that's not sour grapes, as I like him quite a lot as a person.

Mousset is a player I've always liked, and has done well. I don't think we were ever going to get the best out of him though, some players just don't fulfill their potential at clubs, the obvious example being Francis at Charlton.

Reactions: DJ
You are technically correct, but I wouldn't use Mings being an international as a measure of his quality as a player. I truly don't understand why he's there, and that's not sour grapes, as I like him quite a lot as a person.

Mousset is a player I've always liked, and has done well. I don't think we were ever going to get the best out of him though, some players just don't fulfill their potential at clubs, the obvious example being Francis at Charlton.
...so do you think that we are ever going to get the best out of Ibe, Solanke, Lewis Cook or Simpson?

Judging by Howe’s comments and uncharacteristically slating the players for the lack of pressing and desire etc he’s as frustrated as the rest of us with the players attitude and performance.

My guess Howe has been like that for a long time behind closed doors. This isn’t a problem with how they are “set up”. This is a problem with this group of players. It’s a squad in transition and they are on a very steep learning curve.
A problem with a lack of pressing (there was), doesn't exclude there also being a problem with the set-up (there was)
Agree it's a transition with growing pains.

A problem with a lack of pressing (there was), doesn't exclude there also being a problem with the set-up (there was)
Agree it's a transition with growing pains.

Generally speaking less so, for last night (and historically most cup games), Howe does have a history of strange line up, square pegs in round holes. Trying to fit a system around an eleven instead of the other way around.

Generally speaking less so, for last night (and historically most cup games), Howe does have a history of strange line up, square pegs in round holes. Trying to fit a system around an eleven instead of the other way around.
...and that will probably relegate us!

Problem - for months we've lacked even a hint of midfield creativity. Without Brooks we're sterile ... the reason defenders play back-and-forth at the back and punt hopefully up the pitch. Our midfielders (Lerma excepted) are pedestrian - they seem unable to hold, turn and pass without losing the ball. The forwards are isolated and the defence often under continuous pressure.

I agree with your point and would've loved someone like Lallana to come in (realise it can't happen). We do still have players like Lewis Cook and H Wilson - who IMHO at any other team would be played centrally and provide some creativity.

I'm pretty certain though if we signed another creative mid like Lallana, EH would just shunt him out to the wing and continue with the Lerma/Billing double act in the middle.

Still think the bigger issue than the players/squad is EH's tactics. He seemed surprised that the players sat back passively yesterday. As a one off it can happen and be blamed on the players; consistently over 18 months and it falls on the manager/the way he's telling the team to play.

As has become the norm, the team was set up to play on the counter attack. Absorb pressure/do nothing for 30 mins, then start to play. It only worked v Brighton because they were too poor to hurt us, but unfortunately this doesn't work when we concede an early goal, as we do more often than not. The players stay in containment mode, with little thought of upping the ante, either because they are incapable of changing gear or because they've been instructed not to. By which time it's too late, as last night proved, yet again. It's so frustrating. What happened to the swashbuckling team which used to start every match with foot to the metal? Last night was a free hit, **************** aren't Barcelona, why not just go for it? The players seem much happier when going forwards, and certainly not happy when trying to play out studiously from the back - forwards, sideways, backwards, lose possession - time and time again.

...in the past I used to think that Eddie played a simple style of get the ball wide stretch the play and leave space for Wilson and King to run into and attack....not sure when that fundamentally changed? Other than we used to leak goals and we got in a couple of defensive midfielders in Lerma And Billing and changed our style of play...in the best days we could play out from the back relying on Ritchie, Daniels, Pugh and Franno/A Smith to link up...now we are hesitant and slow so playing out from back is not as attackingly effective...

...so do you think that we are ever going to get the best out of Ibe, Solanke, Lewis Cook or Simpson?

:shrug:. No idea mate, it takes two to tango, and Mousset basically admitted that he didn't do enough while here to get into the starting XI. It's not always "what did we do wrong". I have no idea what goes in training so I have no idea whether these players will do well or not.

Simpson has looked good to me in his appearances this season, and he's a backup squad player. Ibe quite clearly has had several off-field issues affecting his form for years now (or he's just bad at football), Lewis Cook hasn't had enough games IMO, but hasn't looked good this season either. Solanke was one of the best young talents in the country, so if he doesn't turn out to be a good striker there's been a failure by someone there.

Simpson looked very poor last night, but he is no left back and should not have been hung out to dry there. I've always been impressed when I've seen him play - but it needs to be as a central defender, not out wide.

I think Simpson was forced to play there because Kelly pulled up in training before the game, judging by Howe's comments in the OHEC. Sounds like Kelly still isn't right.

Reactions: DJ
Solanke continually misplaying balls and giving them away is demoralising not only to us but to the other players as well. It’s no accident play picked up when he was substituted for. There was no longer a black hole the ball went into. Towards the middle of the second half I started to see players pass to secondary targets rather than the obvious choice in Solanke. Simply put, he can not yet consistently and effectively play at this level. Maybe some day. I’m not convinced Surridge is ready for this level in terms of his play making ability but he simply can’t be worse than Solanke and he does have a nose for scrappy goals. Please no more Solanke. As for Surman: he’s aged but should still be effective against lower table sides. Not sure he’d be my choice against Liverpool or City but Aston Villa...hell yes.

Im sorry but Solanke is shocking. He isn't strong enough, not quick, touch is awful, cant header, cant pass. We can go on about the Brighton game etc but lets be honest, hes nowhere near PL standard at the moment, and it is like playing with 10 men. EH is doing what he done with Ibe and will continue playing him and hoping he plays himself into some form

It’s odd that a seasoned pro in Adam Smith, playing with his regular right side partner was completely overwhelmed by a couple of 18 year olds and barely gets a mention.

Meanwhile Simpson, out of position with no fixed left midfield support keeps a £72m signing and the quickest full back in the league quiet. Only AFCB fans could conclude Simpson was the weak link..

It’s odd that a seasoned pro in Adam Smith, playing with his regular right side partner was completely overwhelmed by a couple of 18 year olds and barely gets a mention.

Meanwhile Simpson, out of position with no fixed left midfield support keeps a £72m signing and the quickest full back in the league quiet. Only AFCB fans could conclude Simpson was the weak link..

I thought Simpson had a decent game and was surprised he was taken off. He started hesitantly but gradually got forward as the game progressed and might have been more effective if Fraser had trusted him more on the overlap, because when he did Simpson got the ball into the box. Also had 2 headers on goal, one of which missed very narrowly. Overall, I thought he was one of the more effective players on the pitch and had a better game than Smith who still doesn't look like he's back to his best.

Im sorry but Solanke is shocking. He isn't strong enough, not quick, touch is awful, cant header, cant pass. We can go on about the Brighton game etc but lets be honest, hes nowhere near PL standard at the moment, and it is like playing with 10 men. EH is doing what he done with Ibe and will continue playing him and hoping he plays himself into some form

Yes it's not great for him at the moment. Shame as he comes across as a nice lad, but really laid back in interviews I've seen this week. Looks like he needs a rocket up the proverbial or something to get him going though.

;