Match report v Birmingham

Steve Cook. He escapes blame as always because he’s Steve Cook but it was his man and as captain he simply needs to be commanding that situation better.

:)

You can blame someone for allowing the cross to come in, you can blame Steve Cook for not tracking your man, all of course finding excuses to save the blushes of a goalkeeper on his knees getting beaten at his near post after already fumbling the ball into his own net during the first half.

If Boruc had a game like Begovic yesterday it would have its own thread and be four pages long and still be talked about years later.

:)

You can blame someone for allowing the cross to come in, you can blame Steve Cook for not tracking your man, all of course finding excuses to save the blushes of a goalkeeper on his knees getting beaten at his near post after already fumbling the ball into his own net during the first half.

If Boruc had a game like Begovic yesterday it would have its own thread and be four pages long and still be talked about years later.
If you’d have seen my posts in the past you’ll know that I’m far from the biggest fan of Begovic, he most certainly was at fault for the first goal, a horrific blunder. I do believe though that if it wasn’t for his heroics this season then we’d be sitting mid table at best so he has some credit in the bank imo, although if he continues with this recent pattern of glaring errors then that will quickly be forgotten. I’m not really sure you can attribute blame to him for the second goal tbh, it may have been at his near post but it’s from very close in and coming at quite a pace, if he saves that then you’re talking about one of the saves of the season imo. And I’m pretty sure that Begovic has received plenty of universal criticism on this board in the past!

I do believe though that if it wasn’t for his heroics this season then we’d be sitting mid table at best so he has some credit in the bank imo

Strange, half a season of good performances in the bank in the second tier of English football puts some credit in the bank.

But Steve Cook isn't afforded the same thing for years of heroics in the Premier League during a period when he's struggling with injuries?

And in terms of stopping the cross, unfortunately in football it is impossible to stop every cross into the box (although admittedly it would be nice if Kelly actually attempted to block one or two.) Cook has to be doing better at dealing with this situation. He is supposed to be our captain and leader, yet he still suffers from the lapses of concentration that have plagued his time with us. It’s a shame because he has a lot of the ingredients to be a top top centre back, he just can’t stay focused for an entire match and never has been able to. It’s what holds him back when compared to other English centre backs such as Tarkowski, Mee and Coady ect and is why he never received an England cap.

Strange, half a season of good performances in the bank in the second tier of English football puts some credit in the bank.

But Steve Cook isn't afforded the same thing for years of heroics in the Premier League during a period when he's struggling with injuries?
Of course he has credit in the bank too. Just pointing out that in the context of this season that it’s hard to lay too much blame at the feet of Begovic as he really has been outstanding. It just gets to be how certain players are never judged fairly by fans due to perceived likability. Of course he’s a club legend and he always will be, but he does have very costly lapses of concentration in him and it seems to be blasphemy if you dare to mention this.

Just pointing out that in the context of this season that it’s hard to lay too much blame at the feet of Begovic as he really has been outstanding.

Can't lay anything at the feet of Begovic, especially low crosses or low shots...

Nice to see free kicks being put into the box. Even if some were a bit wayward, it was better than ten passes across the back.

Overall it was good to see us back trying and succeeding to outscore the opposition.

Looking forward to Pearsons debut, which will surely come on Tuesday.

You think he’s been poor in general this season?

I think he's made some excellent reactionary saves this season that has won us points. He's been in the form of his career...in the second tier of English football, during a pandemic with no fans in the ground.

That doesn't take away the fundamental problems with his technique that has plagued him certainly throughout his times with us (both spells). Which is commanding his six-yard box and so is hesitant to come for crosses, he briefly got this right this season but has lapsed back to staying on his line.

His footwork also lets him down for any kind of cross or shot that is lower than standing height.

Nice to see free kicks being put into the box. Even if some were a bit wayward, it was better than ten passes across the back.

Overall it was good to see us back trying and succeeding to outscore the opposition.

Looking forward to Pearsons debut, which will surely come on Tuesday.

I think someone actually protecting the back 4 will help .
We play 3 in the middle but the ease to get in between the back 4 and midfielders is astounding .
Someone who sits and protects

;