Match Report: Wycombe vs AFCB

Matt Stevenson

First Team
Whilst this could be viewed as a dead rubber, with Wycombe all but mathematically relegated and AFCB assured of a play-off place, but behind the scenes there will be many a decision going on behind the scenes. We don’t want to lose momentum following the Brentford defeat, but the fans don’t know who are carrying injuries, who are the reserves that need some pitch time, which will play into the chosen starting XI. Woodgate makes 6 changes from the last game, with Smith, Lerma, Billing, Danjuma, and Solanke dropping to the bench, and Cook not in the squad. Clearly the one game at a time approach has been abandoned. In come Stacey, Mepham, Pearson, Riquelme, Brooks and Surridge, leaving question marks around who will play in the 10 position, whoever it is, they won’t have the height, or defensive awareness of Billing. It’s good to see Riquelme get a start, but his absence is understandable given the long winning run. Wycombe are unchanged, and have won, drawn and lost in their last three games, the draw being away at Swansea, so aren’t the pushover their position might imply.

Indeed, the threat materialised in the first four minutes. Stanislas tried to play a flick in a dangerous position and the ball broke to Ikpeazu, who nutmegged Mepham, swayed back whilst Mepham gave him room and then picked out the top left corner with a great shot. On the plus side we have plenty of time to come back, and almost had an immediate equaliser, Stanislas fed Brooks and we didn’t have the camera angle to see if there was a foul on Brooks. We looked disjointed, and Ikpeazu got another shot away. The game was held up for an injury to Adeniran forcing an early substitution. The first 20 minutes were very disappointing, the first promising position was a free kick on the right from which Brooks shot and blazed over. We did have a gilt-edged chance just after, Brooks controlling a high ball well, his shot was blocked, with the ball popping up to Surridge who totally miscued it with the ball going perpendicular to the goal, when it looked as though the net would bulge.

Following a scramble Ikpeazu tried an opportunistic header that Begovic had to tip over. From the corner Surridge headed the ball off the line from a Stewart header. Onyedima fired in another medium range effort, and we have been very disappointing. It almost went 1-1 when Riquelme reacted fasted to a blocked Rico cross and smashed it across goal just in front of Surridge, who was hunting in a similar position for his goal against Norwich. Wycombe was forced into a second sub when Grimmer came off with what looked like a muscle injury. Brooks had a long range shot blocked, McCarthy fired into the side netting, before Mepham had a good chance with a free header in the centre that he glanced past the left post. At half-time, things weren’t good. If we do throw on our big guns then it defeats the objective of resting them, but losing fairly meekly to the bottom club cannot be good for confidence, in what is one of the worst 45 minutes we’ve had in a while.

There were no changes at halftime and Wycombe again started on the front foot, although Stanislas was free in space and not spotted, Riquelme had a nice run but it didn’t come to anything. The only bright spot has been Pearson, who looked like the result really mattered to him. Mepham had another chance in the 54th minute, but the ball reared up at him, and he headed over, the bounce making it much harder than his earlier effort. Carter-Vickers, blocking the ball with his face livened up the game and showed his commitment. We had another promising position but Stacey couldn’t Stanislas, another cross from Brooks looped up and Stanislas running in outjumped the defender but couldn’t get over the ball. Things were picking up but we were starting from a low base. Things were beginning to gel more, when it works, we look good but when it doesn’t it looks awful. Riquelme made a good break through the middle, weighted the ball greatly to put in Brooks, who went around the keeper, and a defender sliding it just got enough on it to flick it up and onto the crossbar. Stanislas fell down to the ground in the aftermath, and was immediately substituted as was Brooks. The plan of resting key men was maintained with Long and Anthony coming on. Currently, there appears to be a number of fringe players playing themselves out of the reckoning for a first team place. The game was stop-start and not helped by another with a clash of heads between Surridge and Knight. Frustratingly it descended into a scrappy game, with hardly any chances from either side. A collision between Anthony and Joshua saw the ex-England man needing attention, as did Riquelme after a strong challenge. In additional time, Jordan Zemura came on for Rico and almost picked up a booking straight away. But the game had long since petered out. We learnt that our second string isn’t really good enough, thankfully Barnsley lost, meaning that if we win next Saturday, we will avoid Brentford in the semi-finals, which would be good as they have just beaten us and Watford. If the ultimate goal was to protect key people, then this has been achieved, but this was a tough watch.

Player Scores.

Begovic: 7. Nothing he could do about the goal and had little else to do. As I marked him potentially harshly last week it is a seven.

Rico: 6. Along with his defensive colleagues kept Wycombe from getting any clear chances. Couldn’t influence the game much going forward, although this should be the remit of the attackers.

Carter-Vickers: 7. A good game having done little wrong.

Mepham: 5. Currently his confident seems shot. I’m viewing him similar to (a championship) John Stones, hopefully he will turn the corner as I’m sure that he is a good player. I said the same about Billing when he was getting slated, so he might not be the lost cause that many think. Unfortunate that Ikpeazu found the top corner.

Stacey: 6. See Rico, but managed to get to the by-line more often and was more of a threat.

Pearson: 8 (MOTM). Like Carter-Vickers, his emergence has turned the side, but there was little he could do today despite a tireless display and good reading of the game.

Wilshere: 6. In his last few games he seems to have confirmed that for the big games that Pearson and Lerma are the centre midfielders.

Riquelme: 7. Showed glimpses of his talent, particularly with the ball through to Brooks, but would need a run in the team to form partnerships, and this won’t happen, but could be a wild card if needed in the closing stages of a game

Stanislas: 6. Was at fault initially for the goal by trying to be too flash. The chances of the opposition scoring from there were low however, but it was risk for no real reward.

Brooks: 6. Unlucky not to score, showed flashes of talent, but probably the changes in the starting line up affected his and Stanislas’s ability to know where others were running

Surridge: 5. The glaring mis-kick might cause him a sleepless night. Apart from that had no chances and got little change from the Wycombe defenders. But did clear a header off the line.

The xG timeline. This appears to flatter us, having watched the game, although we did have sporadic good chances from Brooks, Surridge, Stanislas and Mepham

Wycombe.JPG

it was pretty awful with only CCV and Pearson showing any great quality outfield. Though Riquelme did show some decent flashes although outmuscled too easily. Agree regards Wilshere but actually thought he played ok today with quite a few good challenges and tried to carry the ball forwards so would probably edge him up a little to 6.5/7

Great report! Although I’m very intrigued as to what attributes that you believe Mepham actually possesses that you believe make him a good player? He’s slow, constantly gets outmuscled, often caught horribly out of position, prone to severe lapses in concentration, and an absolute liability with the ball at his feet.... with Billing at least you could see that there was a bit of natural talent there, just maybe not the application. I’m genuinely intrigued as to how anyone can have watched Mepham play and still describe him as a good player?

Great report! Although I’m very intrigued as to what attributes that you believe Mepham actually possesses that you believe make him a good player? He’s slow, constantly gets outmuscled, often caught horribly out of position, prone to severe lapses in concentration, and an absolute liability with the ball at his feet.... with Billing at least you could see that there was a bit of natural talent there, just maybe not the application. I’m genuinely intrigued as to how anyone can have watched Mepham play and still describe him as a good player?

I may be wrong - being exiled means I haven't seen him play as often as many on here. But in previous seasons I have seen him play good games, where he had read the game well and looked fairly composed on the ball (but maybe I just saw the games he played well in).

Some supportive evidence is that Eddie Howe rated him, and his judgement re centre-backs has normally been good (Mings, Ake, Distin, Kelly (depending where we class him)),

Less reasoned arguments are that he has come across as a nice guy in interviews so I want him to do well, and I am of an optimistic nature.

The Stones example seemed apt. if he has lost all his confidence. He has made some bad mistakes this season, and being young (and with Covid meaning he may have time to stew on the errors) I could see him going into meltdown. Playing in a position where every mistake is amplified means you do have to mentally strong. Karius at Liverpool is a prime example of someone who must have been good, (Wiki says he was voted second-best goalie in the Bundesliga in 15/16) but nosedived after high-profile errors.

But you may be right that he just isn't good enough, only time will tell,

Re Billing, I remember posting that he had run the furthest for us last season, so the lack of application was generally in people's mind, not helped by his languid running style.

Mepham had some excellent games for us in the Premier League. That to me means his issue now is his confidence is shot. He looks very much like that when he gets the odd game now. He has shown himself to be an intelligent reader of the game at the very highest level for us and Wales. I’m not saying he is decent now, he clearly isn’t but I think he can come good again.

Good report Matt. I've not watched a game this season and the only one I've listened to on Solent v Brentford we lost!

One query. Who's the ex England Joshua guy?

massive confidence issue - 100% the problem with him.

Mepham had some excellent games for us in the Premier League. That to me means his issue now is his confidence is shot. He looks very much like that when he gets the odd game now. He has shown himself to be an intelligent reader of the game at the very highest level for us and Wales. I’m not saying he is decent now, he clearly isn’t but I think he can come good again.

I agree, some players just don’t do well playing bit part roles, they need regular frequent football to find their rhythm. The more games the better they look.

My two prime go-to examples are always Tommy Elphick and Junior Stanislas.

Look at the player Elphick was when playing frequently. Look at him during times when he was coming back from injuries with us or since leaving us.

Stanislas look at his form when he was playing regularly. Of course he’s looked better down the left, but even when playing two games a week centrally or down the right he’s been quite often outstanding. It’s once he picks up a knock and then plays 20-30 minutes here and there or the odd start is when his form falls through the floor.

Mepham I think could well join these two, it’s just his longer runs in the side have been so infrequent.

My brain must have inadvertently skipped to boxing!

I meant Wilshere.

This has made me realised I hadn't marked the subs, although they were so peripheral that it is hard to say anything informative about them. But in case DJ wants them.

Long: 6. Came into a lacklustre team and couldn't change this. Peripheral to play,

Anthony: 6. See Long

Zemura: N/A. Not enough time on the pitch.

;