Max and the Money: In Praise of Our Backer

Max Demin best owner we have ever had.

Followed the club before actually getting involved and finally buying it.

He with the best manager this club has had took us on a wonderful trip which culminated in making Cherries fans dreams becoming a reality.

Thanks Max and Eddie.

Hellishly difficult balancing act though, wasn't it ?

If we had invested heavily in infrastructure in 2015/6, and consequently under-invested in the squad, then it's highly likely we would have gone down within a season or two.

And there would have been plenty of howls of anguish at the "white elephant" stadium we were now lumbered with.

As it is, we are back in the Championship several years later than we might have reasonably expected, BUT we have a fabulously talented and valuable squad instead of an improved stadium and training facilities.

If we play it clever, there's no reason why we can't be back in the PL this time next year, even if we do sell off a few star names. And we'll be back there a little smarter and wiser next time.

Just a word on the training ground.

I popped down last week and work has stopped . However it looked to me like the bulk of the ground works for phase 1 had been completed, including a new pumping station for irrigation. The phase 1 pitches had been levelled and the area cleared for the clubhouse / pavilion. There was still heavy machinery parked further down the lane which would Indicate it may well start up again soon.

We don't know the delay , perhaps that part is complete and obviously Covid played a part but no one can really argue that Max wasn't addressing the long term interests of the club which I believe was suggested earlier. We saw efforts to negotiate with structadene for a buy back, we saw plans for a new south stand (that with hindsight they may well have pressed on with) and we have seen the purchase of land and the start of the training academy. We also have a tentative agreement with the council over a new stadium site. At the same time the club were fighting tooth and nail to consolidate in the PL.

Everywhere stadium capacity and lack of Infrastructure are now being used as a stick to beat the club and fans with. If Max clears off tomorrow then these cynics may well have a point but there's no sign of that just yet. He was the white Knight we could only dream about for decades and he delivered on the pitch.

If we play it clever, there's no reason why we can't be back in the PL this time next year, even if we do sell off a few star names. And we'll be back there a little smarter and wiser next time.
Very true. We have a talented, relatively young squad who according to Max we do not need to sell at this time. This puts us in a strong position to possibly achieve a rapid return to the PL with very little extra investment required from Max. The PL money has at least given us the squad we have right now and by all accounts we will not need to rebuild the team from the ground up, like many teams who get relegated are often forced to do.

Like you, I hope that should we return to the PL, Max will keep a tighter grip on the purse strings and make sure that some of that money stays in the club to give us the infrastructure befitting our status as a PL club.

If we had invested heavily in infrastructure in 2015/6, and consequently under-invested in the squad, then it's highly likely we would have gone down within a season or two.

And there would have been plenty of howls of anguish at the "white elephant" stadium we were now lumbered with.

As it is, we are back in the Championship several years later than we might have reasonably expected, BUT we have a fabulously talented and valuable squad instead of an improved stadium and training facilities.

I've never understood the position that the squad is the asset. Transfers made an average net loss of £27M over the last 5 years leaving us with about £130M transfer deficit and around £120M debt overall.

That's still £80M with the Ake sale and a £111 (minus relegation clauses) wage bill.

We have a team with potential yes but I don't think it's one worth £120M (plus whatever extra the wage bill would be). That's the real white elephant.

Like the OP says at the end of the day you pay the money and you run the club your way and I'm grateful that while we haven't had huge investment we've been given a financial buffer so we can make better use of the assets we have.

I guess my point is that I wouldn't value the club fiscally or sportingly any higher then I would've done at the start of the 14/15 season which even if Max only had selfish intent is a bit tragic really.

Let’s hope the attitude and application improves within the squad otherwise we will not be coming straight back up .

Let’s hope the attitude and application improves within the squad otherwise we will not be coming straight back up .
Leeds took 16 years to get back, and they probably have a much bigger set-up, so I'm not banking on automatic promotion at the first attempt.

Leeds took 16 years to get back, and they probably have a much bigger set-up, so I'm not banking on automatic promotion at the first attempt.

I agree with this, and I think with our current set up, we'd be foolish to get too ahead of ourselves in thinking that we can stroll through the Championship like we did last time, regardless of how much it cost to put our squad together...

I think we'll be in or around the top 10 and flirting with the play-offs for most of the season, if not in them. When you look at the teams in there (Norwich, Forest, Derby, Poss Fulham and Brentford, Cardiff, Swansea, Watford, MIllwall, Stoke etc. etc.), we have no right to expect to be sitting above any of these... Years of relegated PL teams would suggest we won't be...

Get circa £100m into the club this summer from Ake, King, Wilson, poss Brooks... Spend frugally to support what we have for the next season and focus on playoffs and buying DC back... That could be done for say £40m??? We'd have a tangible asset to build upon and still a decent squad to hopefully either place in the PL next year, or line us up for a better shot the following year...

Getting back to the Prem in one season is not necessarily the best thing. One of the reasons for our climb through the Leagues was that the core of the team played together over an extended sequence of seasons. We didn't have a settled team at any stage last season, and two seasons in the Championship with a consistent team based on the new young players coming through would leave us in much better shape to deal with the rigours of the Prem in their third season of being together.
People who haven't played a lot of football over an extended periond might not realise just how important it is for a team to blend and gel by consistently playing together with the same team mates over a lot of games.

Now can we see how brilliant Dyche is...on limited budget.
Dyches comments have been bang on...all along.

Dyche has done well and is recognised by the media. Hasn’t got the top jobs offered to him though. Why? His football is turgid and uninspiring. Eddie’s sides played with a bucannering free spirit, taking on the big boys at their own game; not relying on physical intimidation, defensive orientation and attrition.

Bit like comparing a Volvo estate with a jag f type. You know the Volvo is cheaper and more reliable to do the job and better performance while the more expensive jag has periods of breakdown. Which gives the best ride and stirs the passions most? Eddie for me, all the way - even though last season we regressed from what we used to be.

Getting back to the Prem in one season is not necessarily the best thing. One of the reasons for our climb through the Leagues was that the core of the team played together over an extended sequence of seasons. We didn't have a settled team at any stage last season, and two seasons in the Championship with a consistent team based on the new young players coming through would leave us in much better shape to deal with the rigours of the Prem in their third season of being together.
People who haven't played a lot of football over an extended periond might not realise just how important it is for a team to blend and gel by consistently playing together with the same team mates over a lot of games.

Ask harry about his 86/87 champions team!

Just a word on the training ground.

I popped down last week and work has stopped . However it looked to me like the bulk of the ground works for phase 1 had been completed, including a new pumping station for irrigation. The phase 1 pitches had been levelled and the area cleared for the clubhouse / pavilion. There was still heavy machinery parked further down the lane which would Indicate it may well start up again soon.

We don't know the delay , perhaps that part is complete and obviously Covid played a part but no one can really argue that Max wasn't addressing the long term interests of the club which I believe was suggested earlier. We saw efforts to negotiate with structadene for a buy back, we saw plans for a new south stand (that with hindsight they may well have pressed on with) and we have seen the purchase of land and the start of the training academy. We also have a tentative agreement with the council over a new stadium site. At the same time the club were fighting tooth and nail to consolidate in the PL.

Everywhere stadium capacity and lack of Infrastructure are now being used as a stick to beat the club and fans with. If Max clears off tomorrow then these cynics may well have a point but there's no sign of that just yet. He was the white Knight we could only dream about for decades and he delivered on the pitch.
I quite agree with most of the points you've made there and no way have I given up on Max or him us hopefully. Most fans would like to see better communication and if we had that, maybe there would be nothing to moan about!

I quite agree with most of the points you've made there and no way have I given up on Max or him us hopefully. Most fans would like to see better communication and if we had that, maybe there would be nothing to moan about!
I actually like the silence! Although I'm sure there's a halfway house I'd rather have Maxim than Vincent Tan or the Hull City chap. Or blokes who come on the pitch offering out blokes in leather jackets.

;