Max.

Love this news.

Even at 28, Maxi still has a lot of untapped potential - his fitness tailed of towards the end of the season, but in a 5 man midfield he can be a real asset to us next season.

As CherryBare said, he was outstanding at West Ham away - and looked a different class against Newcastle. Really happy to have tied him down.

So excited about this, a joy to watch and one of my favourite players. What a loyal dude, so rare in professional sports these days.

Surprised but excellent news .Going into next season with strength in depth .

Good luck to Eddie trying to keep all our superstar happy :afcb:

ChiknJorge - 27/7/2016 11:55

great player but what did he do to earn a new contract?

Maybe Eddie has seen enough in the games he played, attitude in training and how he gets on with people to earn it. But potentially all of this because there was interest from other clubs or the money the new signings are on meant he wanted to be on parity with them, or the wage structure in place in larger with new TV money and second season in the Prem.

This is all speculation on my part as I have no idea about any of the wages or interest around him.

Personally think it's great news that someone of his quality wants to commit for that long as he hopefully sees something very good for the future of the club seeing as he's hitting his prime playing years.

ChiknJorge - 27/7/2016 00:55

great player but what did he do to earn a new contract?

Maybe not very much but i'd be fairly sure the new deal means more money. Say for example, the club paid Max £x per week, and then signed Ibe on £2x per week, Max and some others might feel justified in asking for £1.5x-£2x since he is basically doing the same job and knows the club is willing to pay that kind of dosh.

Pure speculation and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as the club can afford it.

There are many other reasons for giving someone a new contract other than them 'earning' it.

Maybe he signed on a lesser contract last year, with the agreement that he'd get a new deal if we stayed up. Or maybe there was a release clause in his contract and the club wanted to remove it.

When Yann got his new deal last September, even though we tried to sell him in August, that was presumably a contractual obligation on our part. When Shaun MacDonald got his recently, it was presumably to stop him from talking to other clubs in January and leaving for nothing.

;