Meanwhile, back with the grown-ups

Pompey...the ultimate in Football Townery !

Virtually nowhere like it !

Maybe only Burnley, Bolton, Bury, Preston and the North East clubs !

Last edited:
No, Pompey fans are indeed total savages.

I think most probably are in comparison with us.

Interesting isn't it. How we seem to have more of a thing due to common dislike of Southampton. Been on some YouTube threads following videos involving us and Southampton. Saints fans doing their usual condescending 'we don't care about you' and 'helped saved you 25 years ago with buckets...' act.

Pompey fans wading in saying similar about saints fans as many of us 'that's why people think you're a bunch of c u next tuesdays...', 'arrogant', 'full of yourselves for no real reason' etc.

Joining forces with us with common 'enemy'.

Can't help thinking partly as Pompey off our radar due to being on way down, whilst we're on up. No doubt they wouldn't be so supportive/receptive of us if in same division!!

The 'parent' who refereed my sons under 18's game yesterday had a scum shirt on, with skinny jeans. I kid you not. Skinny jeans and a scum shirt...alarming. He gave all the 50/50's to Verwood Town, but ultimately, they still lost, even with an extended 2nd half.

Proper passionate fans, with right amount of 'edge' without being total savages, like some clubs.
I can’t remember what year exactly but there was one big punch up in the car park after a league cup game against Pompey. Maybe 1973.
I think our lot were just as passionate.

IIRC Pompey fans were up in arms when the Spinnaker tower was lit red and white( Virgin as sponsors??),claiming the colours of their rivals was insulting.

Wasn't there a fuss about the "Welcome to Bournemouth" lights being blue on the footbridge over the spur road? Or am I just imagining it?

I can’t remember what year exactly but there was one big punch up in the car park after a league cup game against Pompey. Maybe 1973.
I think our lot were just as passionate.
We beat them in the League Cup in 1971 at DC. Won 2-1 with Ted scoring both. there was 15,382 there that night and I always remember it was total bedlam in the South End with all the Pompey fans in there. The whole 90 minutes seemed to be our lot and then theirs charging at each other along the wood boards at the top of the old South End.
As you say a lot of trouble outside as well.

We beat them in the League Cup in 1971 at DC. Won 2-1 with Ted scoring both. there was 15,382 there that night and I always remember it was total bedlam in the South End with all the Pompey fans in there. The whole 90 minutes seemed to be our lot and then theirs charging at each other along the wood boards at the top of the old South End.
As you say a lot of trouble outside as well.
The good old days, when we could all get tickets.

;