Men's Health.

In this case not just males.

About a million adults in England have type 2 diabetes but do not yet know it, putting their health at risk, experts warn.

The data, from the Office for National Statistics, also suggests many more - perhaps five million - are on the cusp of developing it.

The condition causes high blood sugar levels that can lead to serious complications if left untreated.

More sedentary lifestyles, overweight .......... which usually means that it can also be managed with diet and exercise if found early enough.

The other point is that we used to say people were "mildly diabetic". However, the metrics for either you are or your aren't have been more stringently codified, and have actually been lowered in the last 25 years (over here at least). That means more people are classified as diabetic, which again is not a bad thing because if you are identified earlier, you can start the lifestyle changes immediately.

More sedentary lifestyles, overweight .......... which usually means that it can also be managed with diet and exercise if found early enough.

The other point is that we used to say people were "mildly diabetic". However, the metrics for either you are or your aren't have been more stringently codified, and have actually been lowered in the last 25 years (over here at least). That means more people are classified as diabetic, which again is not a bad thing because if you are identified earlier, you can start the lifestyle changes immediately.

The biggest problem in the UK is that we don't have these things checked routinely. It takes me 3 weeks to get an appointment with my GP at the moment for anything that isn't urgent. Resources are stretched so many people probably aren't going to the docs until their health is at breaking point.

The biggest problem in the UK is that we don't have these things checked routinely. It takes me 3 weeks to get an appointment with my GP at the moment for anything that isn't urgent. Resources are stretched so many people probably aren't going to the docs until their health is at breaking point.
Yeah, true over here too. It's a simple blood test for initial diagnosis, and over here I can get a requisition over the phone and then book a lab test by appt., so no waiting. If you are concerned that you might have it, worth getting tested. Excessive thirst a clear signal. I recall I was on holiday, and I always drank a lot of pop, but it was off the rails, I was drinking 2L of the "real stuff" - i.e. Coke, not the reduced sugar - per day, and then running up to the room to pee.

Doctor told me to have a big breakfast - oj, eggs, bacon, toast, jam, home fries - and then wait two hours to get tested. Results were over the moon, so there was no narrow margins (or VAR) needed. Been on meds for years, just graduated to insulin about 2 years ago.

Again, not sure if you have it over there, but was on a product called Ozempic. Been in the news here as it has been used "off label" for weight loss. It was absolutely intolerable for me. Some people seem to be able to handle it, but it absolutely killed my appetite. Lost about 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Stopped using it and appetite and weight came right back.

I blame processed foods.
100% agree. There are far too many Japanese Sumo wrestler and WW1 barrage balloon lookalikes waddling around the BCP. This is mainly caused by eating processed food and being too bone idle to actually cook anything from fresh. These are the very same people who will be expecting free treatment on the NHS even though their resultant health conditions would have been self inflicted.

100% agree. There are far too many Japanese Sumo wrestler and WW1 barrage balloon lookalikes waddling around the BCP. This is mainly caused by eating processed food and being too bone idle to actually cook anything from fresh. These are the very same people who will be expecting free treatment on the NHS even though their resultant health conditions would have been self inflicted.
You haven’t been to the BCP area in years.

Can you please leave this thread free from your gormless trolling. I started it to encourage conversations about men's physical and mental health.

I bid you good day and good health : )

Type 2 can usually be reversed by losing weight and therefore losing fat around the pancreas which is causing it not to work, people just lack the discipline to do it, processed foods or not. Calories in, calories out, simple as that if your head is in the game.

Type 2 can usually be reversed by losing weight and therefore losing fat around the pancreas which is causing it not to work, people just lack the discipline to do it, processed foods or not. Calories in, calories out, simple as that if your head is in the game.
I managed to reverse it after two years, but unfortunately after being tablet free for three years, had a spike last November and it came back.

Had a review with the nurse yesterday and she didn’t think it was anything I had done food wise that caused it to come back, just one of those things.

Last edited:
An injection that can "reduce the risk of harmful allergic reactions" in people with food allergies has been approved for use in the US.

Certain adults and children aged one or over who have immunoglobulin E-mediated food allergies will be eligible to have the injection, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said.

The jab uses omalizumab - sold under the brand name Xolair - to reduce the risk of anaphylaxis, a severe and life-threatening allergic reaction that can occur when a person is accidentally exposed to one or more foods.

I saw the Hairy Bikers have a new one on bbc currently, Dave Myers specifically since his battles. Not sure what the future holds for him but it was good to see him looking fairly well and able to get back to it.

A shock regards Chris Hoy, hard to find a better example of peak physical health and fitness.

I managed to reverse it after two years, but unfortunately after being tablet free for three years, had a spike last November and it came back.

Had a review with the nurse yesterday and she didn’t think it was anything I had done food wise that caused it to come back, just one of those things.
Yeah, btk, body just changes over time along with our ability to handle these types of conditions.
Of course, had I stayed off the cookies, gumdrops and jujubes (all in binge mode from time to time), I may have fared a bit better.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few years ago and it was very high,since then I've managed to bring it down below even borderline, and only by diet control , even then without really changing my diet.How the hell I managed that Lord knows.
Even then, I still have regular blood ,eyescreening and feet test using the prick test.
Apart from slight differences in my eyes ,everything seems normal,but that's me ,I am not textbook at all, when I have gone into hospital for various procedures we try telling the doctors that I'm not normal textbook but they don't listen. Then they say "well that's the first time that's happened" .

Yeah, btk, body just changes over time along with our ability to handle these types of conditions.
Of course, had I stayed off the cookies, gumdrops and jujubes (all in binge mode from time to time), I may have fared a bit b
I was warned the last time I had a test. So i changed my diet.
I only eat chicken and vegetables, no bread. Cycle more, i tried the gym but found that boring. Just cut out the fats and sugar and things should stabilise.
Boring I know but after 50 years of eating the wrong things, it's all about changing habits. But I still love a nice cold beer after a round of golf.

;