Mignolet

For the prices that a) Stoke are quoting for Butland and b) Liverpool always sucker us for with their reserves (not to mention their wages), I would rather we spent that money outfield.

By all means get a keeper in for 8-10m or something. But for these prices we can get another Lerma or Ake-esq signing who massively improves our entire side. We have Boruc for now, and we have two good young alternatives who we want to be looking at as potential first choice in 1-2 years time, so it's not like we're lacking in options. I just think it'd be profligate to spend that kind of cash on a keeper at this point when we have other pressing needs, such as only one in-prime full back.

Getting a keeper in whilst our full back options are so lacking is putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:
Hope this is just paper talk - If we get Mignolet in we will be having the same discussion about which Gk to buy next summer as he’s not good enough

Stoke can go jump at the prices they re asking... Agree with NSM in that we have a lot of other issues to solve ahead of GK, especially when we've Boruc that can more than 'do a job' for another season...

It's a shame that Pope has decided to commit to Burnely as I think for the price, he would have been the ideal choice to come in and push for No.1

I wonder if another few months bench warming behind Heaton, will increase our chances in January???

Mignolet offers us nothing that we don't get with Boruc... A good GK when the going is good, but has blunders waiting just around the corner. I would 100% prefer Boruc between our sticks, especially on last season's form.

Eddie is in a difficult place atm, with so much paper talk on Fraser, Wilson and Brooks, and it being unlikely to get anymore than paper talk for several weeks du to the Nations finals, it's impossible for him to know where and how to strengthen...

Mignolet is the PL top penalty saver according to stats...decent keeper I think (despite the LFC connection)

I don't feel we're in a desperate position with goalkeepers. We should be patient and not spend anything unless it's on someone truly special. It's very disruptive to be changing keepers frequently, and we need someone for the long term.
I'd prefer an unknown guy from Brazil (with exceptional potential) to an average British/European keeper.

I think we have potential already, but ideally I'd like both of those out on loan getting match time. An older keeper, or a decent keeper who sees us as a stepping tone (Butland) would be perfect as we only need two years from them. I think Boruc can do a job but if there is an injury, it might be too much to expect one of the youngsters to step up just yet

;