Monorail!

northstandmark

UTC Legend
Bit of a laugh really. But I thought it worth highlighting today's OHEC article, in which a former Council chief suggests a monorail system is the perfect solution to Bournemouth's congestion problems. A possible route running (in his head) from Bournemouth Station, to Kings Park for AFCB, to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital, Castlepoint shopping centre, and finally Bournemouth Airport.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16360845.monorail-plan-suggested-for-bournemouth/

Pie in the sky I'm sure. If we can't get a simple football stadium built, how on earth would a miles long monorail ever get built. But a fun thought all the same. I'll catch you in the year 2032 on the 14:10 football special service from Bournemouth Station to the Maxim Demin Arena, where I hear the Cherries host European powerhouse Macclesfield Town.

If only there was a railway line that went from Christchurch to Ringwood past the airport and looping round through West Moors, Ferndown, Wimborne, Broardstone to Poole linking up with the mainline. If only.
Indeed ! The short sighted view of all those closures felt here more than in many other places ..

I think he was in the X file one, Homer runs through the cornfield spelling DOH in his wake ( bit like Teressa might ) : )

Anything which tempts people away from their cars is never going to work in Bournemouth. Not only are we scared of walking 50 metres away from our cars, if by some miracle this is actually a success, people will be rioting on the streets in protest of not being able to moan about traffic.

Living in London, I am always mystified by the attitude to cars down there. I guess you dont have much choice. Cycling up here is slowly, very slowly, being transformed. The segregated cycle lanes are an enormous success and have been shown to reduce congestion, not increase it, as more and more people cycle, such that they are actually now over crowded! I appreciate it's very tricky as buses arent great and cycling provision isnt either, but i think a change of attitude is needed. Not one person drives to work in my office, in the city out of around 100 people. When i worked in Bournemouth all those years ago, everyone drove. whats the solution? Some sort of light rail/tram type thing? better buses? proper segregated cycle lanes? Some of it costs a lot, but the benefits of reducing congestion and pollution are immeasurable.

Phil Hartman, you might remember him as the voice of Simpsons characters Troy McClure or Lionel Hutz.

So long since I watched them, I forgot about Leonard Nimoy in Monorail episode : )

I cant see why you'd be mystified by car usage in bormuff compared to london. The circumstances are completely different in every way!

I cant see why you'd be mystified by car usage in bormuff compared to london. The circumstances are completely different in every way!

London doesn't have many valleys, cliffs, and hills.

In Bournemouth and Poole if you want to use public transport, if where you are now and where you want to go is on or near the M bus route, then you're sorted. Every few minutes, easy peasy. The M buses are great and I use them weekly. Not on that route? Good luck trying to figure out which buses and how many changes you need. Want to go to across the conurbation from Poole to Christchurch or back? Lol ok.

Neither our train station to extent or especially our airport is well situated or served public transport wise. All the transport is just not quite connected very well or very logically, like the conurbation it's grown organically and haphazardly.

Public transport in Bournemouth isn't at all bad in comparison to most places, but obviously it's not in the same league as Manchester or London.

London gets ten times more infrastructure investment per person than anywhere else. To criticise people outside London for not having the same attitude to public transport as those in London is ridiculous.

;