My view of the current situation

How very flattering to be summoned by one’s fellow posters….

My alternative view?

What a bunch of entitled and spoilt fans we have become.

On January 14th 2009, we were 91st in the football league and 7 points adrift. And penniless and bankrupt.

I know we are on a bad run, but please don’t tell me it’s that bad.

We are in the best league in the world, have new owners with the ambition and money to finish the training ground, develop the stadium (or find a new one) and buy players, and right now we aren’t in the bottom three - with a huge game next week.

Our history shows when we are together and lift the players, we over-achieve. Anything less ends in disaster.

So enough toxic negativity, let’s get back to living up to the definition of ‘supporters’ - because those players need us.

My alternative view?

On January 14th 2009, we were 91st in the football league and 7 points adrift. And penniless and bankrupt.

We are in the best league in the world, have new owners with the ambition and money to finish the training ground, develop the stadium (or find a new one) and buy players, and right now we aren’t in the bottom three - with a huge game next week.

Our history shows when we are together and lift the players, we over-achieve. Anything less ends in disaster.

So enough toxic negativity, let’s get back to living up to the definition of ‘supporters’ - because those players need us.
I'm afraid football supporters are like that, they can't do anything about their side losing so resort to throwing insults.
Look at the Everton fans, they believe they are one of the biggest clubs in the world, not going good, so out come the death threats to the board, fighting with the CEO, stopping and abusing players in the street. The mind boggles.

My alternative view?

Bloody evangelical. We lost to Rochdale once you know...

We did Rob. And I was there for it. My first game was in 1983. But that’s my point. We’ve massively over-achieved and anything we’ve ever managed has come with a togetherness that other more normal clubs could only dream of. My worry is that we are becoming like everyone else…

We did Rob. And I was there for it. My first game was in 1983. But that’s my point. We’ve massively over-achieved and anything we’ve ever managed has come with a togetherness that other more normal clubs could only dream of. My worry is that we are becoming like everyone else…
I'm on your side.

My first game I can remember was 1983. Home to PNE and we lost 1-0.

Four youngish lads behind us were singing for Gary O'neil's head in the morning. I turned to them and said there are 72 other clubs in the Football League who envy us being where we are and picking up £150m + this season if it is only for a year then parachute payments to help us get back.
I said not so long ago we were on minus 17, some years before regular crowds of 3000 so just try and enjoy our seasons in the sun.

They left before the end of the game!

I'm afraid football supporters are like that, they can't do anything about their side losing so resort to throwing insults.
Look at the Everton fans, they believe they are one of the biggest clubs in the world, not going good, so out come the death threats to the board, fighting with the CEO, stopping and abusing players in the street. The mind boggles.
There are plenty of teams in the football league where there is no such sense of entitlement. Perhaps (un)fortunately AFCB don't mix in those circles at the moment.

My alternative view?

:clap: :clap:

Is it possible to support the players in the ground but disagree strongly with some of the decisions being made above their heads? And then vent as required? Because that's me. We're wasting time and money and it's frustrating.
Many of us are getting frustrated, but not venting at the players.

Personally I don’t expect every supporter to be content with watching absolute drivel on the pitch because before they used to go it used to be worse.

It didn’t work for me when I was watching Bond and Quinn and someone would say the Benson era was terrible. Why would it? I wasn’t there to witness it, all I knew was what I was watching was awful and a change was needed.

We now have a new generation of supporter. Relegation at Carlisle under Bond and the 10 point deduction was 15 years ago… I don’t remember seeing too many 5 year olds on the terrace so anyone around their early 20’s and younger will have no recollection of it.

From that point on we’ve witnessed a meteoric rise on the pitch and club off of it that has failed to keep pace.

This generation of fan isn’t used to prolonged failure on the pitch, the worst of it was relegation from the Premier League, on the telly due to covid, not long travels north to see relegation at Wrexham or Carlisle.

I bet it hurt all the same to them whilst some of the older fans took it more in their stride? The most devastating part of it to me was losing Howe for example.

So this could be the first real failure, in person, for many of the supporters, who hold a different mentality as their experience with AFCB is vastly different to our own. Especially the away support as many of them can’t get into home games, which brings its own added frustrations.

Do I agree with booing or abusing the players during the game, no absolutely not. Do I think the above is a reason to allow and understand it? No.

But do I think their support should just be dismissed because once upon a time someone else has decided that it used to be worse and their feelings should be suppressed and their passion neutered? Absolutely not.

;