Neil Dawson - An Alternative View

Brents Goulet

New Signing
This might be one of my more random Alternative posts (GrumpyG, don't say it), but bear with me.

Neil Dawson. I feel it's become fashionable to have a pop at the guy. SlowDownDerek and co have really turned on him in recent weeks, and he is starting to get shot down with a level of ferocity which I think it harsh.

More than almost anyone else on here, Neil has earned his opinion. Why? Because for more years than I care to remember, his brilliant match reports have been a staple part of the post-match moment for so many of us. You can agree or disagree with them, such is a message board, but nobody can deny that the time, care, craft, talent, patience. attention to detail, thought and eloquence of them is something which we all benefit from, and the time taken to publish these makes this a board worth visiting.

Neil recently mentioned that he has some family stuff going on, so I wanted to say on behalf of us all that I hope everything is ok with the best match reporter this site has seen, and to say I for one miss his reports and look forward to their return. In appreciation of him, I thought I'd share perhaps the greatest report he ever penned, as a timely reminder of how lucky we are to have his musings on regular basis.

--

Premier league side AFC Bournemouth. Premier league side AFC Bournemouth. You need to keep saying it don’t you! Words previously only heard just before you wake up….or on beginner levels of Football computer games……or in mental institutions. Not any more though.

Our club……our beautiful family…..the trips to Chester, the buckets collecting ten pences, the great escapes against Shrewsbury and Grimsby then the start of the climb at Burton Albion. That club…our club…. will trot out at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, White Hart Lane as equals – not in the third round of the FA Cup as cannon fodder.

That club… our club… will sell shirts in Singapore, will have old men in cafes in Costa Rica squinting at the top corner of the telly wondering who the hell the ‘Bou’ are that are playing Man City, will have Francis’s runs analysed by Alan Shearer…will be heavily backed to lose in Chinese betting syndicates….will feature coast to coast in the US of A.

The world will never be the same again. We just got on the radar!

Eddie made one change tonight, Smith coming in for the suspended Francis. In the stands the atmosphere crackled and the fans debated which team would turn up. Would it be the swashbuckling destroyers of November to March or their more cautious cousins of April. Could we cope, from a coronary perspective if it was the latter?

It didn’t take long to answer that question. There was a real mood of ‘lets get this over with’ in the team who played with verve, passion, style and confidence from the off. Wilson nearly scored on two minutes off the long curling ball behind the centre halfs first seen against Middlesbrough. He was denied by the legs of the outstanding Bogdan. Bogdan then twice denied Bournemouth stopping Wilson when clean through and then making an outstanding one handed reflex stop from Ritchie’s follow up.

Bolton were little seen and relied on the long ball to Heskey who is still a handful away from goal (story of his career I guess). He linked well with Le Fondre on a couple of occasions and the latter headed straight at Boruc when he should have done better.

Bournemouth were flowing though and the chances were coming thick and fast with Arter and Ritchie both seeing shots blocked and Kermorgant heading Arter’s curling cross narrowly over.

The goal had to come and it was greeted with a roar the like of which I have never heard at Dean Court. Ritchie’s cross from the left saw PUGH control, turn outside and smash a left footed drive across Bogdan and into the top corner from a tight angle.

The ground was rocking and it was about to go stratospheric. If ever a goal encapsulated Eddie’s style of football it was our second. A flowing move that started at left back and involved half of the team in quick passing football. The ball arrived to Wilson at the corner of the box who found Kermorgant in the area with a superb low fast ball. The Frenchman didn’t even look up but cushioned the ball into the path of the arriving RITCHIE whose thunderous left foot drive did the rest. Quite beautiful and so this season!

HT Bournemouth 2 Bolton 0

The second half resumed the total control Bournemouth had and all the confidence returned in spades. There was an intuitive understanding of each others movements and positions. Bolton were tiring by the second. Their task became more uphill when Kermorgant released Wilson who was brought down in the box. Dervite was the culprit and he saw a straight red. Kermorgant missed the opportunity to totally relax the fans by smashing his spot kick uncharacteristically high and wide.

The home team were in no danger though and defended like dervishes whenever Bolton had the ball.

The relaxing goal came when Surman burst into the box and crossed for WILSON to masterfully roll his man and find the bottom corner for his 20th league goal of a memorable debut campaign.

After that it became a bit of a blue. The home fans rattled out the Match of the Day theme tune and ‘Champions League – here we come’. I laughed. Bournemouth……Champions League? In our dreams………..

FT Bournemouth 3 Bolton 0

Boruc 7 – Safe as houses

Smith 9 – Brilliant running, energy, tackling back and creation.
Elphick 8 – Solid, calm – Captain like.
Cook 8 – A masterclass in positioning and reading the game.
Daniels 8 – Bombed up and down. Feeney was non-existant.

Ritchie 8 – Clever feet – another great goal, centre of most things.
Surman 8 – Swept around the pitch cleverly.
Arter 8 – Snarling perfection with movement and passing.
Pugh 8 – Back to his tricky best.

Kermorgant 8 – Led line superbly and pivotal role.
Wilson 8 – Couldn’t live with him. 20 goals now – fantastic.
Verdict
I’m not going to bang on tonight. Theres not much that hasn’t been said elsewhere. We are privileged to have a brilliant manager who makes you proud with everything he says and does. He has created a team in his image – thoughtful, neat, a touch of understated confidence and an absolute joy to watch.

Thankfully they turned up tonight as an absolute tour de force. They treated us to a display of assurance and slickness underpinned by the most incredible work ethic.

You can’t choose when you are born. And you can’t choose when you go. We have lost some great fans this year from this messageboard and from the supporter family. Everyone will have thought tonight of friends or family that can’t go anymore or who have gone to the big stadium in the sky. We are the lucky ones, we saw something that others waited 100 years for. But they were all back there with us tonight…..every last man of them… you could hear them….and the team made all 30,000 of us so proud.

Report by Neil Dawson

I’ve been on here for 14 years (ever since rednblack went into meltdown). I post very rarely (this is #244 apparently) but I read virtually everything on here that is football related.

This alternative view is very welcome and I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly (and even make this rare post in support).

I don’t always agree with Neil’s opinion, but he’s certainly one of our most articulate and thoughtful contributors. A person who enriches our debate and certainly challenges me to think differently about a number of things.

And his match reports are fabulous. Thanks for all your musings Neil. Long may it continue. I don’t suspect you will, but don’t let any of the on-site bickering grind you down. As a long lost contributor once said: “stick it up the plastics [Bondy]”

As is the modern world and in particular online, there is a tendency on here to play the man not the ball. It’s not the opinion itself which gets called out, it’s because a certain person has expressed their views. Would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if certain views were posted anonymously.

There is a lot I agree with on this forum and some I disagree with. In most case I can usually see where the poster is coming from. What I personally can’t abide are those who frequently shout down other opinions without having the courage or conviction to state their own.

As is the modern world and in particular online, there is a tendency on here to play the man not the ball. It’s not the opinion itself which gets called out, it’s because a certain person has expressed their views. Would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if certain views were posted anonymously.

There is a lot I agree with on this forum and some I disagree with. In most case I can usually see where the poster is coming from. What I personally can’t abide are those who frequently shout down other opinions without having the courage or conviction to state their own.
Plus online you don't have to come face to face with that person,making it easier for trolling or abuse.I like to believe that most on here would be the same in person as on here,I know for a fact a few on Afcb Facebook are not

For the record, and I'm sure Neil will back me up here, I most certainly have not turned on him in recent weeks. I've had the same views on Neil's posts for a long time.

1. His match reports are excellent and I agree with 90% of how he sees the games. I've said this many times over the years.

2. In his general analysis of Howe he is overly critical and likely to assume the worst to the extent that he'll be completely one-sided in his selection of evidence. He has a tendency to assume Howe is a bit dim and unthinking.

I've a lot of respect for Neil, partly because he gives as good as he gets and doesn't take things to heart, as it should be. We've had our moments, some of which maybe overstepped the mark a bit in emotional periods but I know we both respect one another - otherwise we wouldn't bother arguing.

We've been more than cordial in private messages on here - no personal issues at all.

As for "SDD and co" I don't speak for anyone else, only myself. Of course whatever personal issues Neil, or anyone else for that matter, is going through I wish him all the best as he has for me on many occasions. He's a nice guy.

For the record, and I'm sure Neil will back me up here, I most certainly have not turned on him in recent weeks. I've had the same views on Neil's posts for a long time. 1. His match reports are excellent and I agree with 90% of how he sees the games. I've said this many times over the years. 2. In his general analysis of Howe he is overly critical and likely to assume the worst to the extent that he'll be completely one-sided in his selection of evidence. He has a tendency to assume Howe is a bit dim and unthinking. I've a lot of respect for Neil, partly because he gives as good as he gets and doesn't take things to heart, as it should be. We've had our moments, some of which maybe overstepped the mark a bit in emotional periods but I know we both respect one another - otherwise we wouldn't bother arguing. We've been more than cordial in private messages on here - no personal issues at all. As for "SDD and co" I don't speak for anyone else, only myself. Of course whatever personal issues Neil, or anyone else for that matter, is going through I wish him all the best as he has for me on many occasions. He's a nice guy.
Great post

This might be one of my more random Alternative posts (GrumpyG, don't say it), but bear with me.

Neil Dawson. I feel it's become fashionable to have a pop at the guy. SlowDownDerek and co have really turned on him in recent weeks, and he is starting to get shot down with a level of ferocity which I think it harsh.

More than almost anyone else on here, Neil has earned his opinion. Why? Because for more years than I care to remember, his brilliant match reports have been a staple part of the post-match moment for so many of us. You can agree or disagree with them, such is a message board, but nobody can deny that the time, care, craft, talent, patience. attention to detail, thought and eloquence of them is something which we all benefit from, and the time taken to publish these makes this a board worth visiting.

Neil recently mentioned that he has some family stuff going on, so I wanted to say on behalf of us all that I hope everything is ok with the best match reporter this site has seen, and to say I for one miss his reports and look forward to their return.

For a bit of clarity, Neil has been writing match reports the message board for the best part of 20 years. I asked him to do them for this website 15 years ago because his reports stoke the flames and create debate.... that’s continued all these years later. It’s nothing new and if it changed I’d dare say he’d miss it. As I would despite his occasional faux pas of “playing the man rather than the ball”.

He is a guy with his opinions. His opinions are often not in line with what the majority think, so he often gets attacked and belittled. This is the way of the world.

He is a guy with his opinions. His opinions are often not in line with what the majority think, so he often gets attacked and belittled. This is the way of the world.

I don’t particularly agree with that either. Unless Neil can say otherwise either on here or via pm. But he’s not been attacked or belittled, his opinion has been questioned, his views have been debated and vice versa.

The OP has done a nice job, and I especially enjoyed the 2015 post that I would not have been around here to see at the time. We all have to deal with serious family issues at some time, it takes it out of you even if it resolves well, so best to Neil on that score.

As I have done with many of you, I exchanged a couple of private messages with Neil to ask for context on some matters and just to get to know him a bit better. He was a great resource, pointed me to the Back of the Net podcast and added a treasured family photo that really resonated with me. Good guy, I hope to shake his hand one day.

I don’t particularly agree with that either. Unless Neil can say otherwise either on here or via pm. But he’s not been attacked or belittled, his opinion has been questioned, his views have been debated and vice versa.

This is how I see it. It's certainly not Neil as a person I take issue with it's some of his opinions. I'm sure to a certain extent we clash because of our differing debating styles. I would hold my hands up and say that my particular 'debating style' has caused clashes with pretty much everyone on here at one point or another (clearly everyone else is wrong and not me ;)).

As mentioned, the golden rule is to always play the man and not the ball, its just that occasionally Neil's balls rub me up the wrong way. :oops:

And I think that @Hillviewred makes an excellent point about anonymity on social media. The pr*ck that would cut you off on the highway would never have the stones to try that in the line at the grocery store.

Good post. I would like to think that Neil knows 99.9% of the views here are not personal towards him. But he will also realise that sometimes what he puts can be a bit awkward, to suit a particular incident that week too. Which is when we have a 'heated debate'!
I'm fairly certain that if all of us met down the pub one day, we would all get along fine. We are just passionate about the subject of AFCB and sometimes have different solutions to things.

;