Neil Perrett - A Very Personal View

Brents Goulet

New Signing
I watched my first Bournemouth match in 1983, and was pretty much addicted from that moment. And for as long as I can remember, my love of the club was married together with a love of the back page of the Bournemouth Echo. Long before Twitter would serve up daily rumours, and every other media outlet took notice of us since we became a Premier League club, the Echo back page was pretty much the only place for me to to read about the club. Every day after school I’d stop at the newsagents and look.

27 years ago (when I was 16) my school told us all to get some work experience and there was only on place I wanted to be. I wrote to the Echo and had the good fortune of being given 2 weeks on the sports desk. In that time I met Neil Perrett for the first time, and he took me under his wing, took me with him to the training ground to interview players, showed me how a newspaper was put together, and gave me endless time and patience, answering all of the hundreds of questions I had. He even let me write a few things, and I can still remember now seeing my own name appear on the back page of the paper.

I learnt a huge amount from him, and despite not ending up following a career in journalism, so much of the things he taught me have remained and really helped me since. I also had a whole new appreciation of the small team of people who not only cover AFC Bournemouth every day, but every other sport in the region too. It is a unique and often tricky role to be the local paper following a club; you need to report the news independently but at the same time behave as a trusted friend and partner of the club. So many local papers have ended up being banned by their respective clubs (including the Echo a few times) that these guys always walk a tightrope, but play an invaluable role nevertheless.

This week’s news that Neil has been made redundant left me feeling really sad. On a personal note because he is someone who has done so much for me, and I know just how much he loved his job, his newspaper, his profession and our club. But also because I think it represents the passing of time of local newspapers too. The sad truth is people like Neil are being made redundant across the country as newspapers either can’t make ends meet, or no longer value the craft in the same way and are happy to cut corners, drop standards or make do with lesser content.

One thing is for sure, the back page of the Bournemouth Echo will never be the same for me, and I’d guess for many others too. Neil had plenty of critics on here, which comes with the territory. Many didn’t understand why he didn’t do more to hold the club to account at times, which is understandable, but also complicated by the role the local paper plays with its club. Many like me also spent way too long hitting refresh on twitter on transfer deadline day hoping for news from Neil on who we were signing, or simply who we weren’t. His hashtag #localpapersalwaysfirst became the default signature for another scoop, or confirmation of something Neil had unearthed, invariably quicker than those with bigger teams and greater resources too.

Football clubs are made up of unsung heroes. For 28 years Neil has connected our club to us, the fans, and has been a credit to our town and his profession. As he approaches the final days of a job he was so proud to have, and one he put his heart and soul into, I just wanted to take a moment to pay tribute to an absolute giant of journalism and someone I’m lucky to call a friend.

Lovely words...

Running to newsagents to turn over the back page and the newsagent saying ‘it’s not a library mate...are you buying it or not’. The only way as a kid you knew what was happening. (Newsagent then going on to sell you ten B and H while you stood in your school uniform)

Funny how anachronistic that must seem to many on here.

Wouldn’t have swapped it for the world though...

...so many on here spout trash about things, and often people that they know little about. I guess that is human nature, I only met Neil a few times at away matches and he always seemed a dedicated sports journalist, especially when it came to AFCB. I wish him well and hope that some can understand that we shouldn't just judge at face value and actually look deeper...

Neil got in touch with me when I first started doing match reports on the predecessor to this site many years ago. He asked me if I wanted to do a fan review of the game in Monday’s echo.

I did about four (so forgive you all for not remembering) but it got pulled because Sean O’driscoll didn’t like me pointing out his midfield was too short and non tackling. Neil let me know very diplomatically!

I thought then he was not only great to deal with but trying new ways of crossing that difficult divide local journalists have of not being able to bite the hand that feeds them,

Nice words,hopefully Neil can join on here now as he is no longer in that difficult position of being in with the club but not in with the club if you know what I mean.
I think pretty much everyone on here would welcome him,he is as much part of the fabric of the club as most on here are.

Well done BG. I knew Neal Butterworth and Kevin Nash – the latter wrote 'Cherries first 100 Years' for me, Neal gave us the photographs, I miss them both, they were friends and could write copy faster than anyone else I know. I truly look forward to the book Neil P. must have in him.

Nice words,hopefully Neil can join on here now as he is no longer in that difficult position of being in with the club but not in with the club if you know what I mean.
I think pretty much everyone on here would welcome him,he is as much part of the fabric of the club as most on here are.

He certainly won't get more stick than Dawson! The more the merrier.

Agree with the sentiments on here, thanks Neil. I still have my scrapbooks from the 80s promotion season, cut out every game. When I was in the USA, my mum posted me echo back pages, then the only way to find out what was happening. The coverage meant a lot to me, so a huge thank-you!

Lovely sentiments well expressed.

I often think we (on this board) should have a great big party where we all meet. We might then end up being nicer to each other online!
Everyone wearing a label that says “My name is....username”

"...His redundancy comes after owner Newsquest undertook a review of its sport operation at both the Bournemouth Echo and its Southampton-based sister daily the Southern Daily Echo which will see closer working between the two titles, although it is understood that their sports desks are not merging..."

"...No other jobs have been placed at risk as a result of the review.

A Newsquest spokesman said: “We continue to look at ways of working more efficiently across our business. We have recently had a review of the sport departments in Bournemouth and Southampton which will now be working more closely to help provide each other with the relevant sport content in their region. Sadly, this has led to Bournemouth’s head of sport, Neil Perrett, leaving the company. However, we are pleased that Neil will continue to provide coverage of AFC Bournemouth in a freelance capacity.”

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/...e-redundant-from-daily-after-almost-29-years/

hopefully, and based on Perretts positive comments to date, a near 29 year career may have given him quite a redundancy payment. While I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it is a much softer blow to offer redundancy to someone with a longer tenure. I hope that is the case for Neil and wish him luck in his future endeavours.

"...His redundancy comes after owner Newsquest undertook a review of its sport operation at both the Bournemouth Echo and its Southampton-based sister daily the Southern Daily Echo which will see closer working between the two titles, although it is understood that their sports desks are not merging..."

"...No other jobs have been placed at risk as a result of the review.

A Newsquest spokesman said: “We continue to look at ways of working more efficiently across our business. We have recently had a review of the sport departments in Bournemouth and Southampton which will now be working more closely to help provide each other with the relevant sport content in their region. Sadly, this has led to Bournemouth’s head of sport, Neil Perrett, leaving the company. However, we are pleased that Neil will continue to provide coverage of AFC Bournemouth in a freelance capacity.”

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/...e-redundant-from-daily-after-almost-29-years/

"However, we are pleased that Neil will continue to provide coverage of AFC Bournemouth in a freelance capacity.”

I would tell them to eff off,

;