Neto

Keepers are so strange when it comes to form. There's loads of examples of world-beaters who turn crap almost overnight. Bego here, Joe Hart, Robinson, Arrizabalaga, de Gea ....

It just goes to show how confidence affects them. Interesting insight from Mark Schwarzer in this article.

Rob Green... after that disappointing tournament from England... the one where we got hammered by Germany after eqaulizing and Lampard having that goal over ruled depsite going over the line.... totally disappeared soon after from top flight iirc.

Fraser Forster too went from international, near to, to losing the plot overnight.

Well, think he did have mental issue/depression iirc.

Interesting article. My own thoughts are that although you obviously need to concentrate in any position, gk really has too. And if mentally not 100% and been quiet for period in game, perhaps negative thoughts coming into mind if confidence low, chances of making mistake/misjudgement increase. If that does happen, can feel even worse, and if a bit fragile mentally and/or things keep happening, can compound and things spiral further./

Goal keepers contribution more purer/'absolute' whereas an off form out field player may go missing, or concede posession a bit more, but get plenty more times to redeem themselves, without higher jeapoardy that keeper faces from continuing to make mistakrs.

Outfield player can be subbed off, and unless they keep player rubbish for weeks on end, generally overlooked by fans. Keeper cant be subbed off (unless injured, otherwise looks really embarrassing for them.) Less places to hide as a poor form/mentally keeper. Guess manager can drop them, as they have staff available to work out if players head is in right place.

Last edited:
Rob Green... after that disappointing tournament from England... the one where we got hammered by Germany after eqaulizing and Lampard having that goal over ruled depsite going over the line.... totally disappeared soon after from top flight iirc.

Fraser Forster too went from international, near to, to losing the plot overnight.

Well, think he did have mental issue/depression iirc.

Interesting article. My own thoughts are that although you obviously need to concentrate in any position, gk really has too. And if mentally not 100% and been quiet for period in game, perhaps negative thoughts coming into mind if confidence low, chances of making mistake/misjudgement increase. If that does happen, can feel even worse, and if a bit fragile mentally and/or things keep happening, can compound and things spiral further./

Goal keepers contribution more purer/'absolute' whereas an off form out field player may go missing, or concede posession a bit more, but get plenty more times to redeem themselves, without higher jeapoardy that keeper faces from continuing to make mistakrs.

Outfield player can be subbed off, and unless they keep player rubbish for weeks on end, generally overlooked by fans. Keeper cant be subbed off (unless injured, otherwise looks really embarrassing for them.) Less places to hide as a poor form/mentally keeper. Guess manager can drop them, as they have staff available to work out if players head is in right place.
Rob Green always looked off his tits. Permanently wired. Probably contributed to his England fuk up. That and his wonky fingers.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Rambo this summer. Could we possibly get him on loan? or 50 million + Rambo for Dom? All the clubs above us have good keepers apart from Man Utd (IMO) and Arsenal probably won't let him join a rival. Newcastle are heavily linked, could they afford him with FFP? and would Pope be happy as a number 2?

But we are mid-table and safe in the Prem?

It's not as if we are in the Championship.

What position in the Prem do you think we should we be in now had we not 'squandered' all that money?
Neil would have had the title sewn up by February. Claims not to be an expert but knows more than those doing those jobs!

Neto looked top notch last season. Every bit the elite club level keeper. Very composed, few mistaakes. Cant recall any criticism (well, very minor/little).

All of a sudden he's deemed a waste of money/failed signing by Neil. Wonder why.
I just think it stems from playing a less defensive style of football.

I know I love pulling out the stats to defend Neto but I suspect a large part of why Allison and Raya are in the bottom half with Sa and Areola in the top 3 in goals prevented per 90 is that the style of football leads to predictable patterns in defence.

Hard to describe in text but the 'keepers choice of position would likely change based on the situation, positioning of the defence and attack. Don't think the xG modelling is intelligent enough to significantly capture a 'keeper positioned to save but keeping one eye on the square ball for example.

Last edited:
Neto looked top notch last season. Every bit the elite club level keeper. Very composed, few mistaakes. Cant recall any criticism (well, very minor/little).

All of a sudden he's deemed a waste of money/failed signing by Neil. Wonder why.
Oh oh I know the the answer to this one....is it because he's a keeper who can't catch or kick a football?.....why do you think we had the worst record of conceding from corners last season btw.

Oh oh I know the the answer to this one....is it because he's a keeper who can't catch or kick a football?.....why do you think we had the worst record of conceding from corners last season btw.

Or perhaps it's because we conceded the most corners in the league by a considerable margin? :slap:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Rambo this summer. Could we possibly get him on loan? or 50 million + Rambo for Dom? All the clubs above us have good keepers apart from Man Utd (IMO) and Arsenal probably won't let him join a rival. Newcastle are heavily linked, could they afford him with FFP? and would Pope be happy as a number 2?
I loved Rambo when here was here, but I'm not convinced that he would be a massive upgrade on Neto. He made some spectacular saves, but never seemed to be the dominant presence in the box that we would have liked. A bit like Neto.

Really?......when you say considerable what are we talking?
I should've linked the stats. It was hard to find last seasons.

Something like just under 40 more than the next lowest who I think were Leicester at 6 a game and we were at 6.9 and I think we were about 80% more than the average in the league.

This season we're slightly better than(i.e. below) the league average.

Strangely most stats sites don't have last season's data.

I should've linked the stats. It was hard to find last seasons.

Something like just under 40 more than the next lowest who I think were Leicester at 6 a game and we were at 6.9 and I think we were about 80% more than the average in the league.

This season we're slightly better than(i.e. below) the league average.

Strangely most stats sites don't have last season's data.
40!....lol that's incredible.....anyone would think we spent a lot of last season defending.

More agenda driven ********************************.

Now now Rob....no need need for obscenities.......Kudos has put forward a perfectly valid defence of Neto's set piece incompetence.
I clearly underestimated how mind numbingly passive our football was under Gon.

Now now Rob....no need need for obscenities.......Kudos has put forward a perfectly valid defence of Neto's set piece incompetence.
I clearly underestimated how mind numbingly passive our football was under Gon.
Blaming Neto solely and not other defenders just proves my point.

Agenda driven.

;