New Captain?

I wonder how vocal Zabarnyi is? A big unit of a centre half as captain could add something a touch more intimidating to the role. Of course, there's also the fact he needs to nail down that starting spot, but maybe that's why we're waiting until after the Lorient game.

Just going off of nailed on starters, what options do we have? All the wingers/attacking mids seem to be in contention for positions but no one safe, so knock them all off the list. Aside from defenders, we have Solanke at striker and Cook at CM that are nailed on (assuming no new purchases displace them). Both fullbacks, Smith and Kerkez, look to be strong favorites to start their positions when fit, so we can consider them. At CB, there's Zabarnyi and Mepham for the right side and Senesi and Kelly for the left, I'm not sure I see any of them being guaranteed starters at the moment just off of the friendlies and past form, though Iraola could have made up his mind and we just don't know it.

Assuming we get rid of the CBs, it's between Solanke, Cook, Smith, and Kerkez - the latter is young and just joined, so only the former 3. Don't think it'll be Solanke, never struck me that much as a vocal leader of the team - and Iraola would probably get charged with murder after @Red_till_im_ded suffers a heart attack at the news. Smith and Cook both have bite to their game and a fair bit of seniority, could be either of them.

Options aside from Smith/Cook would be any CBs or GKs that manage to solidify their position as guaranteed starters.

Sounds like a non-issue tbh, does not need urgent review but will confirm when squad is finalised. Move on.

Hard to choose because very few of the squad are nailed on starters. Based on seniority alone, it should be Smith but when Smith has captained, he's never looked like a complete natural. Kelly didn't either. Neto is a decent captain, but if Ireola doesn't fancy him as a GK starter, Senesi or Christie would be good. But neither are guaranteed to start... Tricky choice. I personally think the captain should be someone not in goal. Or you need a whole leadership team other players do the bossing further up the pitch.

Basically a captain should be able to see what is going on and the best one for that is at the back, so either our keeper or a defender.

I see no reason to believe why Neto won’t continue as captain. Radu is likely to just be a good secondary goalkeeper option. Neto has loads of top level experience, and led the team very well last season as both a standout performer in his own right and as a captain.

Neto, then Smith, then probably someone like Kelly, Mepham, Billing or Solanke? Queue outrage at Billing lol.

;