New forum layout *mobile friendly*

Just going to re-post so it doesn't get lost on page1.

The new (and mobile friendly) forum design will be launched very soon on http://afcb.vitalfootball.co.uk

The current design will remain on http://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk for now.

After a while the aim is to have both using the same design, but if people like using both options there's no true timeframe to phase the older design out.

With anything new there could well be some teething issues. The delay in comparison to other sites has been down to me pushing for a few niggles to be ironed out before we launched.

If you spot any other issues for a fix please feel free to add them to this thread or PM me.

Hopefully it should prove popular. It's "new" but has the same feel as the current design.

SlowDownDerek - 2/7/2017 18:32

Interesting. Can you tell who likes your post?

No, likes are completely anonymous. :hihi:

speedyj1 - 7/10/2016 08:07

When you click on a thread you have already read and their are new posts will it take you directly to the new posts?

Just an update on this request. Whilst not exactly what you're after, there is a little icon which will take you directly to the most recent post on the thread.

SteveJonesLegend - 7/10/2016 13:30

Hi DJ... As we've discussed previously, do you know if the new design has the facility to show you just 'Posts that you've started' and 'Posts that you've posted in...? To save you sifting through... Also makes searching easier as well?

Another update to this previous request.
There will be a page that shows you the threads you individually have been active on.

blandford_cherry - 3/7/2017 08:23

DJ when does the new layout take effect?

For some it already is. Depends on ISP, for example I've got the new version currently showing when on 4G but the old version when connected to my current wifi. Over the next 24 hours it will filter through for most.

Hi DJ...

Have I missed something or is the new forum only available on mobile devices... I can see it new looking on your link, but as soon as I go to the forum, it is just the same old version??? Or is this what you were saying about "depends on your ISP"...?

Got to say the new layout is pretty crap on my iPad.
And - it's still covered in ads.

This layout is all over the place

Attachments

• IMG_2259.JPG
    75 bytes · Views: 0
SteveJonesLegend - 3/7/2017 09:20

Hi DJ...

Have I missed something or is the new forum only available on mobile devices... I can see it new looking on your link, but as soon as I go to the forum, it is just the same old version??? Or is this what you were saying about "depends on your ISP"...?

That's exactly one example of what I was referring to.

blandford_cherry - 3/7/2017 09:28

Works fine on my iPhone however there is a large ad at the top of the page

New layout, new position for the ads.

The old design has ads at the top of the page and down the sides.
The new design has an ad at the top and no ads down the sides to make the layout mobile friendly, these ads then appear between posts and threads and are easy to scroll past.

No glitches with the design here but I guess one small comment is it does feel like an awful lot of white now we've lost the light grey background for the messages. It's really stark when looked on a wide monitor as there are acres of white across the screen now.

Might just be me or might simply be a question of getting used to it. Time will tell I guess.

GARYafCb - 3/7/2017 09:21

Got to say the new layout is pretty crap on my iPad.
And - it's still covered in ads.

This layout is all over the place

This issue is now resolved. It was a problem with the code on the old design blowing the template on quoting links. This is fixed on the new design and will be fixed on the old design soon.

kirsikka - 3/7/2017 10:48

No glitches with the design here but I guess one small comment is it does feel like an awful lot of white now we've lost the light grey background for the messages. It's really stark when looked on a wide monitor as there are acres of white across the screen now.

Might just be me or might simply be a question of getting used to it. Time will tell I guess.

That's a personal preference kind of thing but will take a look. It could well be something we can tweak and evolve.

Good thing is we do have both versions running, so if you prefer one version for desktop and one for mobile device you can choose your preferred version.

Looks great on Android mobile, well done DJ.

Tend to agree with Kirsikka on desktop, there is an awful lot of white space either side although I've dabbled in web design before and never really made things look exactly right so I'm probably not worth listening to.

Glad to see Donatello's still here. Have a feeling he might be needed a few times next year!

:102: :102: :102: :102: :102:

Hi DJ... while still in Beta, are Vitals taking feedback still...?

First impression is that it is a vast improvement, however, if I was to be fussy, I would ask for slightly more definition between posts, as there is 'a lot' of white... Sometimes everything just looks merged into one...

But still looks and works great... :thumbsup:

PS. and why is the 'your active posts' link only on the main forums page as opposed to being at the top of our main forum as well... Surely navigation ease would make sense to just keep those 3 links in the header bar throughout...?

SteveJonesLegend - 4/7/2017 09:41

Hi DJ... while still in Beta, are Vitals taking feedback still...?

First impression is that it is a vast improvement, however, if I was to be fussy, I would ask for slightly more definition between posts, as there is 'a lot' of white... Sometimes everything just looks merged into one...

But still looks and works great... :thumbsup:

PS. and why is the 'your active posts' link only on the main forums page as opposed to being at the top of our main forum as well... Surely navigation ease would make sense to just keep those 3 links in the header bar throughout...?

In regards to the white for desktop we will potentially look to evolve it to have different shades of grey...

On the other point, it's a newly developed function on the request of one person...that was the most logical place to find a home for it. Most other Vitals sites see the users flick around on different boards whilst we tend to stick to one. :thumbsup:

Who would that one person be :naughty:

Thx for the feedback, a welcome inclusion and I figured that would be the reason for placing it there...

Noticed a glitch when I was logging in that the username box didn't display correctly.

Also the "submit" and "preview" buttons in the quick reply box don't look logically positioned on my device.

However, this is a huge improvement IMO. I can actually read the messages on my mobile without zooming in and scrolling across the page only to be obstructed by a secret ad that redirects me. Thanks for getting this rolled out!

SteveJonesLegend - 4/7/2017 10:44

Who would that one person be :naughty:

Thx for the feedback, a welcome inclusion and I figured that would be the reason for placing it there...

Not a problem, hopefully you find it useful.

afcb.czech - 4/7/2017 16:33

Noticed a glitch when I was logging in that the username box didn't display correctly.

Also the "submit" and "preview" buttons in the quick reply box don't look logically positioned on my device.

However, this is a huge improvement IMO. I can actually read the messages on my mobile without zooming in and scrolling across the page only to be obstructed by a secret ad that redirects me. Thanks for getting this rolled out!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've sent you a pm regarding the glitch.

;