New player input

Redpost

First Team
So when the January window opens, and our Basque with the smiling mask, wants new players, has he done enough to get them to want to join us?

best league in the world and pay players millions a year why not come and we have a good chance of staying up
Whilst all the while putting yourself in the shop window for a move to one of the "big" PL clubs if you do well.
As long as we are no longer viewed as perennial relegation candidates, we'd be a great stepping stone for any player wanting to try his luck in the PL.

Whilst all the while putting yourself in the shop window for a move to one of the "big" PL clubs if you do well.
As long as we are no longer viewed as perennial relegation candidates, we'd be a great stepping stone for any player wanting to try his luck in the PL.

Yes particularly if playing attractive football, creating chances/scoring frequently.

A decent scouting network shoukd be able to identify good players who are interested in playing in the pl, and if they do well will potentially get a bigger move a couple of years down the line, both footballing wise and financially. Although We can offer a package significantly better than most clubs around Europe, outside the elite few, never mind top pl clubs if tgey prove themselves.

Plus like I say playing a certain way, heading towards establishing ourselves as a mid table side, perhaps euro place in a couple of years. Foley project, means business, proving it now as before may be concern about his outlook maybe ...

We'd be an attractive proposition to a large pool of very decent players, particularly young highly rated ones. Key is us doing homework in terms of their adaptability in regards to playing/living in a new country imo. Not just about ability/potential.

Yes particularly if playing attractive football, creating chances/scoring frequently.

A decent scouting network shoukd be able to identify good players who are interested in playing in the pl, and if they do well will potentially get a bigger move a couple of years down the line, both footballing wise and financially. Although We can offer a package significantly better than most clubs around Europe, outside the elite few, never mind top pl clubs if tgey prove themselves.

Plus like I say playing a certain way, heading towards establishing ourselves as a mid table side, perhaps euro place in a couple of years. Foley project, means business, proving it now as before may be concern about his outlook maybe ...

We'd be an attractive proposition to a large pool of very decent players, particularly young highly rated ones. Key is us doing homework in terms of their adaptability in regards to playing/living in a new country imo. Not just about ability/potential.
Getting the scouting right is going to be absolutely key to Foley and Co. making AFCB a profitable business. This is why I think they might "go large" when replacing Hughes.

We should definitely be looking at young players who are eager to test themselves in the PL.

They won't always work out but when they do, the balance sheet gets a boost and we have the wriggle room within FFP to further improve the squad depth.

Getting the scouting right is going to be absolutely key to Foley and Co. making AFCB a profitable business. This is why I think they might "go large" when replacing Hughes.

We should definitely be looking at young players who are eager to test themselves in the PL.

They won't always work out but when they do, the balance sheet gets a boost and we have the wriggle room within FFP to further improve the squad depth.
Exactky. Players like zabs, Scott ckukd easily command 50 mill plus in a year or two imo.

Better were doing the more we can likely command

We need Andoni on a new contract first

didn't someone say he would only be here short term irrespective of any success?
isn't that why, according to some, he's having limited involvement in recruitment?

if we need to prep for his departure, get potter lined up perhaps

didn't someone say he would only be here short term irrespective of any success?
isn't that why, according to some, he's having limited involvement in recruitment?

if we need to prep for his departure, get potter lined up perhaps

He's stated he prefers 12 month contact's.

Reality is well have an extremely tough job retaining him if he continues on current trajectory.

But he may stay relatively long term (by modern standards...) if we keep backing him, matching his ambition.

We need Andoni on a new contract first
Well the fans here were understanding of his slow start and now they are showing him a lot of love. If the board do the same, then I think he could be convinced to sign up to the project for a longer term.

It would be odd to go through all of that stress and upheaval and then not be around to enjoy the fruits of your labours.

I like to think that he was just being cautious with his initial contract, unsure of how he'd feel at the club, how his family would cope living in England and how he'd cope professionally with this squad of players in the Premier League.

I think we can now probably convince him to stick with us for two more years and see how far he can take us, personally.

Apart from the footballing side finally clicking, he would also have the new training ground and possibly a new stadium on his horizon. That sounds like an exciting opportunity to me, as long as we are paying him what he's worth of course !

I agree.
I'd like him to commit to at least two more seasons after this one.
I'm sure that we will be pulling out all of the stops to make that happen.

He's stated he prefers 12 month contact's.

Reality is well have an extremely tough job retaining him if he continues on current trajectory.

But he may stay relatively long term (by modern standards...) if we keep backing him, matching his ambition.

can't really see him getting a top job in this league, possibly west ham or equivalent, or a bigger club in spain perhaps?

catch22; back him with the players he wants but only if he's prepared to commit longer term and has [relative] success

;