new players and language differance

johnycarper

First Team
Just sat here watching Jefferson's first interview and he does not speak any english just started me thinking if it would cause any problems on the pitch when its full on.Its not so bad training as I assume they have translators out there.

Just sat here watching Jefferson's first interview and he does not speak any english just started me thinking if it would cause any problems on the pitch when its full on.Its not so bad training as I assume they have translators out there.

I’ve not seen the interview yet, but did he say (in Spanish obviously) he didn’t know any English at all?

I’ve lived abroad before and even though I had no confidence to speak in a foreign language, I could generally understand what was being said to me.

Watching his medical yesterday, I got the impression Lerma understood a bit of the English what was said to him but I could be mistaken. One thing I did learn from being abroad is foreigners are often very modest about how much English they do know

The best way to learn a different language is to be immersed into it... With our side, English is def the only way to communicate... He'll grasp the basics pretty soon... Wouldn't surprise me if the club provide serious help with this ASAP.

I believe Mousset spoke no or little English when he signed, it slowed his settling but he seems have gotten there in the end.

At least Lerma and Rico will have each other as Spanish speakers (although the dialects are very different).

Most clubs have about 10 different nationalities in their squads and seem to manage.

Not really. You should only need a relatively limited vocab to communicate on a pitch and he should pick that up pretty fast.

Anyone that's played a summer kickabout with a group of multinational students in the Bournemouth environs knows you can pick up the main calls used in football in another language inside an hour or two of kicking it around.

Complex tactical instructions sent on by the manager may be a little trickier but you'd think anything being communicated would have been worked on at some point in training so even then he should be able to get the message with the help of a simple diagram on one of those notes.

Complex tactical instructions sent on by the manager may be a little trickier but you'd think anything being communicated would have been worked on at some point in training so even then he should be able to get the message with the help of a simple diagram on one of those notes.

And a translator, probably. Using translators hardly hindered Bobby Robson.

He got around bigger issues than not speaking the language:

"What, the young Newcastle forward Shola Ameobi was asked by a journalist, did his teammates call him? "Shola," he replied. And how, the disappointed but still hopeful interlocutor asked, did his manager address him? "He calls me Carl Cort." "

Legend! :grinning:

Not really. You should only need a relatively limited vocab to communicate on a pitch and he should pick that up pretty fast.

Anyone that's played a summer kickabout with a group of multinational students in the Bournemouth environs knows you can pick up the main calls used in football in another language inside an hour or two of kicking it around.

Depends how good Eddie and Jason are at drawing, of course...

;