Mezzala
Raumdeuter
Carrilero
Enganche
Segundo Volante

Now we're talking!

Trequartista - playmaker between the front line and midfield
Regista - deep lying playmaker but roams up the pitch a bit more
Mezzala - a narrow winger/wide CM, sits in the half space.
Raumdeuter - a free roaming forward who looks to exploit space
Carrilero - a wide drifting midfielder to cover gaps
Enganche - a South American Trequartista
Segundo Volante - as far as I can work out this is a defensive midfielder out of position and basically a striker out of position. Basically what Billing used to do and what Billing does now

Now we're talking!

Segundo Volante - as far as I can work out this is a defensive midfielder out of position and basically a striker out of position. Basically what Billing used to do and what Billing does now
Can you play all those in the WM formation?

Now that's settled, get stuck into these please:

Trequartista
Regista
Mezzala
Raumdeuter
Carrilero
Enganche
Segundo Volante

Someone's playing fm ;)

Using fm format yiu have positions ie centre mid, left back, centre back etc.

Then you have roles with the position. For centre mid there are about 10. Roaming playmaker, box to box midfielder, mezzala etc.

Then responsibilities for the role: support, defend, attack etc.

Good explanations of each 'role', 'responsibility' is given. Can upload some later.

Part of tge reason I don't think you can say we play with 2 'number 8's'. Maybe similar but their roles/responsibilities look a bit different to me. It's not entirely symmetrical in that respect. So yes, maybe 1 defensive midfielders (dmc) and 2 cm's, but they're all doing different jobs.

Last edited:
Number 8, number 8 , Harry Arter
number 8 , number 8 , I say
Number 8 , number 8. , Harry Arter
Playing football the Bournemouth way

He's what I think of as a number 8
Marauding behind the front man, sticking the tackles in, breaking up play,
Having a pop from long range. A very versatile useful player to have

I was born in 80. My recollection of numbers/ positions are

Gk 1
Fb's 2 and 3
Cb 4 and 5
Cm 6 8
Wingers/wide mid 7 11
Cf 9 and 10

Now we're talking!

Can I add the dreaded "Double Pivot"

Such a wan*y, twitter virgin expression.

Your head hurts before Neil Dawson, Waz and SDD get involved. You just wait until our resident know it all's get involved.

Maybe they'really it sure either about 6, 8 and 10? Seems to mean something different to everyone.

Lost the post in the reply but I think a double pivot is just a wanky name for two defensive midfielders, like you have in a 4-2-3-1. I don't hear it often but I guess if you're getting to realms of a 5-4-1 3-5-2 etc maybe it's helpful.

It sounds like what the half backs would do in the WM formation but I've never watched a game played like that so could be way off.

I've never heard of a single pivot though!

Maybe they'really it sure either about 6, 8 and 10? Seems to mean something different to everyone.

Like @MB1980 said I prefer the position and role system. With the exception of false nine which just means no forwards the number system doesn't make sense to me because it only works if you're playing an old school 442.

I think it's just used because there's people that know exactly what they want from a player but don't really have the interest in learning all the wanky terms so don't know how to explain it.

A number eight is an attack orientated midfielder, we play with two of them.
If that is what you mean why not use those words which everyone understands instead of an expression which people interpret in different ways and which is opaque at best?

;