NON - Airshow to be cancelled

Not a great look for Vikki Slade's first public visible decisions in power.
Seemed to bring in more money than it cost to lay on by all accounts. Are we trying to move away from being a tourist town?

Fair play to people who enjoy it but I've never understood the appeal.

"Here comes a plane... Whoa, here comes another one... remember folks it's now just 35 minutes until a really big plane comes past."

Misery guts ;)

My three year old loves it. Not entirely sure how he’s going to take the lack of red arrows this year.

Misery guts ;)

My three year old loves it. Not entirely sure how he’s going to take the lack of red arrows this year.

Hey I'm not knocking people who enjoy it, just saying I don't get it. To me watching a plane fly through the air is about as interesting as watching a bus drive down the road. Tbf most three year olds I know absolutely love buses too so maybe they've got it right.

The bit that really, really f***king annoys me at the air show is the people that clap the red arrows...

I know to be a red arrows pilot you probably have above average sensory perception but if you can hear a gurning fat chav family in matching tracksuits clapping you while flying a screaming jet at 2000 feet then you should have your own super hero film.

My wife says this is an irrational anger and hates me getting wound up by it every year. I’ve been known when pissed to say ‘they will be over the moon you clapped them mate...nice one’

I think the source of the rumour is about discussions and concerns last year. My company has been an air show patron for years and have always done hospitality at it. It is run by a mix of local civil servants, people from the hospitality trade (hotels etc) and assorted other local “names”.

When it was known that the red arrows were not going to attend this year there was genuine concern that it wouldn’t still be a draw. No arrows, no Vulcan, too many aircraft going tech recently..... I think there was a period when the option of not having it was seriously being considered. We noticed it going very quiet on the PR front and the local hotels weren’t chasing us for bookings. Almost like they had no confidence themselves. But recently it perked up a bit and looks to be carrying on.

I do think it needs a revamp though. I work with 30 plane geeks and even they found last year a bit of a drag (despite the free booze!). There aren’t enough “wow” moments and too long between displays that are too similar. I think if they can’t guarantee loud fast jets then they should mix in some civilian aircraft. There’s nothing weirder than seeing and A380 or B737 doing a low and slow with full flaps and gear down.

I do think if they keep repeating the same old stuff it will get stale. I’m not that bothered about it this year at all.

I think the source of the rumour is about discussions and concerns last year. My company has been an air show patron for years and have always done hospitality at it. It is run by a mix of local civil servants, people from the hospitality trade (hotels etc) and assorted other local “names”.

When it was known that the red arrows were not going to attend this year there was genuine concern that it wouldn’t still be a draw. No arrows, no Vulcan, too many aircraft going tech recently..... I think there was a period when the option of not having it was seriously being considered. We noticed it going very quiet on the PR front and the local hotels weren’t chasing us for bookings. Almost like they had no confidence themselves. But recently it perked up a bit and looks to be carrying on.

I do think it needs a revamp though. I work with 30 plane geeks and even they found last year a bit of a drag (despite the free booze!). There aren’t enough “wow” moments and too long between displays that are too similar. I think if they can’t guarantee loud fast jets then they should mix in some civilian aircraft. There’s nothing weirder than seeing and A380 or B737 doing a low and slow with full flaps and gear down.

I do think if they keep repeating the same old stuff it will get stale. I’m not that bothered about it this year at all.
Exactly this. It is the same old same old. And the majority only really want to see the red arrows. Yes get a 380 do a low fly past would be fantastic. Or an huge Russian freight aircraft. Having wing walkers on small prop planes is dull dull dull. Go for size, speed, noise and will be a winner.

;