NON : Albums You Bought, But You Wish You Hadn't...

davidwhitehead

Fans' Favourite
As we've discussed elsewhere, back in the days when you bought an LP, you had to part with a serious lump of cash. For me, in the early 70s, to buy an album for about £2.50 was the equivalent of 2 weeks' paper round money, so wasn't a decision to be taken lightly.

Trouble was, apart from the odd track you may have heard on the radio or in the listening booth at the record shop, you didn't actually know what you were getting. Buying blind, as it were.

When I first transitioned from singles to LPs, I made some very serious blunders that still haunt me to this day.

The worst album I bought ? Without doubt, Self Portrait by Bob Dylan. God knows why I bought it, I didn't even like Dylan. Probably a vain attempt to look cool, I suppose. That was an important feature of the album culture. Your LP collection defined who you were.

I remember bringing it home and listening to it with increasing horror. What a waste of money. I think I tried to take it back next day, but the shop had a strict No Returns policy.

What LP nightmares are YOU going to own up to ?

I bought a dreadful album by Sammy Hagar. Took it back and swapped it, at a loss, for something else.

To name one of many

First Rip Rig and Panic album

NME darlings, one single that wasn't even remotely like the rest of the album and I wasted a fiver

Ah, The Stupids. They were great. Deeply offensive but great.
Saw them support Gaye Bykers on Acid at the Forum. Stage diving was all the rage at the time, and there seemed to be an endless stream of young blokes (let's face it, it was always blokes) climbing on stage to jump into the crowd.

A particularly large chap (alright, fat) got up there, and as he jumped everyone below looked up, thought "nope", and parted like the Red sea.

SPLAT!!

He took a rather long time picking himself up from the floor.

;