Non - BCP cycle routes proposals

Fantastic road that has been built over ,at least, for last 15 years in Wales A465 Heads of the Valleys road.Dual carriageway for miles and anytime ,anyday will only see a handful of other traffic.
In fact they're still building it .Every time we go up there,something new to get used to.

Its quite convenient it doesn't mention construction bearing in mind the link you used have a vested interest in selling cars, its also extremely tenuous . Not forgetting the health benefits of cycling its probably the most ridiculous comparison I've read in years..thanks for posting.

Speaks volumes about how well read you are!:whist:

Speaks volumes about how well read you are!:whist:

Forgive me for not having stumbled across that gem ;)...most of the comments speak for themselves

If we're going to argue carbon footprint (which I believe you introduced) it really needs to be done on a level playing field. You just can't pretend Lithium mining or the processes involved in manufacturing and servicing a 2 ton vehicle simply don't exist. The calorific stuff, expenditure of energy etc is also highly debatable. You could ask why the Netherlands (where 30% of the public cycle on a regular basis) have a smaller calorific intake per person than the UK.

Notwithstanding the elephant in the room for that guy and his spreadsheet (and also you) is the sale of electric cycles is approaching 40% in many countries. Additionally electric scooter sales are going through the roof. These are the vehicles that will be populating cycle lanes (already are in Germany / France) in the future.

I know you suggested I'm not well read, however I am well cycled not just here but throughout Europe for my sins. Can I suggest the reason you and others are putting barriers up against the idea of a cycling infrastructure is because you haven't actually experienced or witnessed the benefits, they're absolutely huge.

I've been a huge advocate of the cycling scheme in BCP, batting away arguments of waste of money and no one is using them, with the response of 'when it's all linked and up and running, people 'will' use them and they will be good for the area...

So I am gobsmacked to read that BCP have now scrapped large portions of the proposed scheme, due to lack of funds coming from central Govt... WTF!!!!

I am now officially going to say "What a waste of f*cking money..."

The ones in place will serve 'some' purpose but that is now all they will ever do... Absolute bellends...

Govt pulling the plug on many green schemes. Such a shame.

I get they need to cost cut somewhere, but (and this will come as no great surprise to many) I wish it wasn’t on schemes like this. The savings are pittance in regards to other options available.

We live in a country that for much of the year is cold, wet and dark and where many of the population live a significant distance from where they work and so therefore better public transport and not cycle lanes is what is key to reducing car use. How many people are realistically going to cycle ten miles each way to work, especially in February? Where cycle lanes work well is where there is a high density of population from both a residential and employment point of view, neither of these factors are true in BCP, we have a geographically large area with no real overall centre of employment. Bike lanes are an ineffective use of public money that would be far better spent on public transport.

Last edited:
We live in a country that for much of the year is cold, wet and dark and where many of the population live a significant distance from where they work and so therefore better public transport and not cycle lanes is what is key to reducing car use. How many people are realistically going to cycle ten miles each way to work, especially in February? Where cycle lanes work well is where there is a high density of population from both a residential and employment point of view, neither of these factors are true in BCP, we have a geographically large with no real overall centre of employment. Bike lanes are an ineffective use of public money that would be far better spent on public transport.

They’re pulling the bus lanes too…

They’re pulling the bus lanes too…
Axing the bus lanes is completely short sighted, the government, councils, etc. are asking people to drive less but aren't providing any reliable alternatives. To reduce car dependency requires an significant increase in public transport options as otherwise it's not going to happen.

Reactions: DJ
and where many of the population live a significant distance from where they work

You have evidence of this distance? Could you link what the average is?

As for the cold, wet and dark part...if only we had evidence that somewhere further north than Bournemouth could successfully support a biking culture.

Also, its not just work.... think about the school kids using them.

We live in a country that for much of the year is cold, wet and dark and where many of the population live a significant distance from where they work and so therefore better public transport and not cycle lanes is what is key to reducing car use. How many people are realistically going to cycle ten miles each way to work, especially in February? Where cycle lanes work well is where there is a high density of population from both a residential and employment point of view, neither of these factors are true in BCP, we have a geographically large area with no real overall centre of employment. Bike lanes are an ineffective use of public money that would be far better spent on public transport.

BCP is actually just inside the top 25% of UK districts in terms of population density (77/309). The bike lanes I've seen are being installed on busy roads with congestion issues, so makes sense surely?

You're also not considering that hireable e-scooters and e-bikes use them and can be considered as public transport. Go to any large city and see how well used they are and how efficient they are at getting about. We used them in Liverpool for the last game of the season vs Everton. No waiting about, cheaper than a taxi, more convenient than a bus without being crammed on like sardines.

The future of public transport in urban areas will be hireable vehicles like this and autonomous EVs which you call on an app and take you door to door.

Yes, because when it's cold and dark nobody can use a bike.

Unless of course, it's encouraged and supported properly and seen as a positive thing rather than a negative one:

I've posted before about the disjointed rhetoric versus reality regards the busses (being biased as a regular bus user) so I won't go around that again. For my next moan...

It's a local bugbear of mine to see the inconsistency of the cycles lanes around BCP. The Highway Code enforces most other road furniture to be consistent, which is good and important for all road users. Whereas Cycle lanes seem to be a civil engineer's playground for every layout, colour scheme, size and component you can imagine.

Go through Wallisdown, up Whitelegg Way towards Parley and into Wimborne. You'll pass through the various flagship cycle lane projects BCP has to offer currently, and you note they're each totally different.

Maybe I'm just OCD or nitpicking. I'd just like to think one urban area could settle on one design. And if the eventual goal is to link them all up, surely that would help.

Morning moan over! :)

Yes - reopening railways or bringing in a new very light rail /tram system .

I've posted before about the disjointed rhetoric versus reality regards the busses (being biased as a regular bus user) so I won't go around that again. For my next moan...

It's a local bugbear of mine to see the inconsistency of the cycles lanes around BCP. The Highway Code enforces most other road furniture to be consistent, which is good and important for all road users. Whereas Cycle lanes seem to be a civil engineer's playground for every layout, colour scheme, size and component you can imagine.

Go through Wallisdown, up Whitelegg Way towards Parley and into Wimborne. You'll pass through the various flagship cycle lane projects BCP has to offer currently, and you note they're each totally different.

Maybe I'm just OCD or nitpicking. I'd just like to think one urban area could settle on one design. And if the eventual goal is to link them all up, surely that would help.

Morning moan over! :)
Not nitpicking... I am 100% with you. There is no logic in why they have made some red tarmac (wallisdown) and others barely noticeable (whitelegg way). To be honest, whilst I do think these are a good thing, they do seem to have gone a bit OTT with them. I mean why the Whitelegg Way cycle lane could not have gone down the old Wimborne Rd that runs parallel, I'll never know... By doing that it could have been a lot more low-key, a lot less disruption caused and probably a lot more pleasant for cyclists...

So we're where we are with a lot of disjointed, multi function, multicoloured cycle paths that cost a lot of money and disruption, that will now only serve a fraction of the purpose they were supposed to...

At least all the old folk will be able to cycle from Wimborne to Ferndown uninterrupted...

Here we go again.

"If we're going to argue carbon footprint (which I believe you introduced) it really needs to be done on a level playing field. You just can't pretend Lithium mining or the processes involved in manufacturing and servicing a 2 ton vehicle simply don't exist."
No one ever said transport was zero footprint. Even bikes need to be built. But the argument that EVs and EV scooters are remotely close it...in any way shape or form, exploration, extractions transportation, refining and burning of fossil fuels is so beyond laughable. Lets ignore the fact that it also moves the emissions away from homes and schools.

Here we go again.

"If we're going to argue carbon footprint (which I believe you introduced) it really needs to be done on a level playing field. You just can't pretend Lithium mining or the processes involved in manufacturing and servicing a 2 ton vehicle simply don't exist."
No one ever said transport was zero footprint. Even bikes need to be built. But the argument that EVs and EV scooters are remotely close it...in any way shape or form, exploration, extractions transportation, refining and burning of fossil fuels is so beyond laughable. Lets ignore the fact that it also moves the emissions away from homes and schools.

Here we go 'again' ? Are you sure druss, my post was made 2 years ago last April. You clearly haven't read the thread either.

You have evidence of this distance? Could you link what the average is?

As for the cold, wet and dark part...if only we had evidence that somewhere further north than Bournemouth could successfully support a biking culture.

Also, its not just work.... think about the school kids using them.
Give it five years and the cycle lanes will be as empty as they are now.

What is the place further north than Bournemouth where you are suggesting cycling is successfully working? If you are talking about Copenhagen then it has a completely different geographical, economical and social makeup to Bournemouth. It is flat as pancake, an huge employment centre and a very high percentage of the population living in apartments. Not a valid comparison.

For clarity I am not pro car but just think cycling is never going to be anymore that a niche solution to congestion. Much better, cheaper, more regular and more reliable public transport is what will solve the issue.

Give it five years and the cycle lanes will be as empty as they are now.

What is the place further north than Bournemouth where you are suggesting cycling is successfully working? If you are talking about Copenhagen then it has a completely different geographical, economical and social makeup to Bournemouth. It is flat as pancake, an huge employment centre and a very high percentage of the population living in apartments. Not a valid comparison.

Many of the northern European countries have thriving cycling infrastructure and users.

I guess you are right, the mountains of Bournemouth are very off putting for cyclists.

If you travel down castle lane of a morning you will see the cycle lanes heavily used, especially by school kids in the area. Seeing as Castle lane is the main northern artery for the BCP conurbation, whats your issue with it having cycle lanes?

Could you post that evidence I asked for?

;