NON - Best Search Engine?

AFCB Lost in Brum

Fans' Favourite
Simple question - what's the best search engine these days?

I've just had to change to Windows 10 on one of my PC's and, seeing as I have a blank canvas of sorts, I wondered what you might recommend.

If you want an alternative to the obvious Google or Microsoft Bing, shoving ads at you whilst recording and storing all your search data and profiling you - take a look at 'duckduckgo'. https://duckduckgo.com/

The idea being that it's stripped the search engine back to what we used to think of a search engine being 10 or so years ago, before all the monetisation and data mining came about at Google.

It's not perfect though, particularly for UK based folks, because it's totally US centric so searches will lack a UK context. Just a lesser known suggestion to throw out there.

I've tried switching away from Google, but it's simply the best. I stuck with Duckduckgo for about a year on my phone before giving up and going back. I got sick of results not being what I'm searching for.

I currently use Ecosia after being recommended by a colleague. It's quite niche in the fact that it donates 80% of its surplus income to non-profit conservationist organizations, with a focus on tree planting. It's obviously not on par with Google but I've never had any issues in finding what I want with it.

Ecosia misses one of the best features of Google for mobile use (imo anyway). Type in a business / building name and be presented with a call option, so you don't have to go through various pages on a website to find the number.

I use it all the time.

Anyone remember Blackgle? Advertised itself as being an energy saving search engine because white backgrounds (like on Google) use more energy.

I wrote to them and pointed out that LCD screens use more energy when white as they have to "open up" to let light out and they got all snotty with me, trying to convince me CRT screens were still the most abundant across the world.

...Google seems to cover all the bases...just hate the fact that all searches you make are probable banked somewhere for analysing a persons character...needs...interests and curiosities!

Garbo - 1/12/2017 11:59

...Google seems to cover all the bases...just hate the fact that all searches you make are probable banked somewhere for analysing a persons character...needs...interests and curiosities!

Looking at Startpage they use Google for their search engine, only Google only see Startpage and not you from what I read.

So hopefully if you use it there will be NO adverts.

tucktoncherry - 2/12/2017 19:31

If it's privacy and popups that bother you try this.
https://brave.com/

Anybody use a browser like this that also has tab/cookie syncing between devices?

;