Non - blackbird attacking our cat!

EverHopeful

First Team
Carnage in the back garden today. Male blackbird repeatedly swooping down from the garage roof to attack / ward off our family cat. Presumably to protect chicks in a nearby nest. Anyone ever come across this before? Being something of an orthonologist, I totally defend the blackbird’s right to protect its young, by the way. Just never experienced this behaviour before!

It’s not rare for members of the thrush family such as the blackbird to go to extraordinary lengths to protect their young. I’ve heard of mistle thrushes attacking cats but not blackbirds. Her young must have been very close and in danger.

Yep. Witnessed it when we had a cat. Bloody territorial and make a hell a noise. You just have to put up with it until they have fledged.

Funny that you mention that,as I was driving up Kinson Rd today,I saw two Magpies attacking another on the ground.It was on its back with wings open and legs up,they were pecking it ferociously

Yep. Witnessed it when we had a cat. Bloody territorial and make a hell a noise. You just have to put up with it until they have fledged.
Jeez yes the noise is something else. Wakes us most mornings at dawn with its screeching. Have taken to keeping the cat in at night. Desperate measures!

Robins are very aggressive when protecting eggs or young....they will fly at speed into another bird and stab it with the beak then hover and go in again...I observed this once and was quite shocked...but impressed !

I want to see this type of behaviour from Afcb!

A few years ago I had a pair of blue tits in a nest box in my garden. One morning I saw them attack a robin, and a grey squirrel. The squirrel was attempting to steal from the bird feeder, and was dive bombed out of the garden.

;