Non - Bournemouth sites

YankCherry

First Team
Guys as you recall my son and I are coming for west ham in January. Quick question. What sites in a reasonable drive can we see. We will be there for a few days after the match.

Stonehenge seems close. Other recommendations?

Corfe village and castle are worth a visit, close by
Bath is a bit further but the Roman Baths there.
Portsmouth Historic dockyard, has HMS Victory and Mary Rose

Stonehenge is pretty crap tbh.

If you're driving you should check out picturesque new forest towns/villages like Burton, beaulieu, Lyndhurst, etc.

The Purbeck coast the other way is worth visiting especially Durdle Door, lulworth cove and Corfe as mentioned.

If you're driving you should check out picturesque new forest towns/villages like Burton, beaulieu, Lyndhurst, etc.

The Purbeck coast the other way is worth visiting especially Durdle Door, lulworth cove and Corfe as mentioned.
Have no doubt it’s a tourist trap but damn something you have to see lol

Or this

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cerne-giant

Cerne_Abbas_giant__3296793b.jpg

Take a nice walk along the seafront Boscombe to Bmth Pier.
Definitely explore the New Forest as SDD suggests, maybe hire bikes if weather ok.
Sample some proper craft ales & soak up atmosphere in the Firkin Shed.

If you become bored perhaps visit St Marys & The Amex BUT only after becoming totally inebriated.

Stonehenge was good during the early 70s before they fenced everything off. I always take a walk along the Purbecks when I visit.

Tyneham village & Warborough bay, Arne, Worth Matravers, Studland, Hengistbury head ( walk to Mudeford beach )Leap, & New Forest.........all practically free.......Stonehenge...... :eek!:(n)

A couple of other ad-hoc suggestions. The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (also Beaulieu Palace House); Carisbrook Castle on the Isle of Wight; Ringwood Brewery is worth a visit.

If you want to actually love Bournemouth as a place and a team.

Walk up Hengistbury Head and just stand and watch the coastline all the way down to Sandbanks.

Might be pushing that view in January.

Bear in find that it'll be pretty cold in January if you're from a warmer state.

Purbeck, (It's just Purbeck, not The Purbecks) is well worth a look.

From Bournemouth use the Sandbanks Ferry for the full Purbeck experience.

Swanage is a bit ho hum, but does have a steam train that will take you to Corfe Castle.

Check out the Castle and village, have spot of lunch in the Fox and then take a walk along the hill back to Swanage via Nine Barrow Down.

If you're on Purbeck during the week, go to The Square and Compass in Worth Matravers for a pint. (rammed full of tourists and 2nd home owning arseholes of a weekend).
While you're there, take a walk to St Aldhem's Chapel.

If it's running, have a go at the boat trip from Poole Quay to Swanage and back, taking in the iconic Old Harry Rocks.

Forget Stonehenge, it looks better on Youtube

Looks even better here. :D

Last edited:
so many great ideas will take days to research everything sheesh.

I get Stonehenge will be disappointing but as a huge history buff it is something you have to get eyes on and stand where those people were.

;