Non - Bring Back National Service?

billythekid

UTC Legend
How would you feel about that and is it a good idea?

Britain should reintroduce national service for its young men and women.

Not only would this give teenagers a sense of what it means to work for their country, it would teach them new skills to help in whatever career path they ultimately pursue.

A new form of conscription - not just focused on defence and selective in who is called up - would be good for the UK as well.

It would bolster Britain's ability to deter threats and respond to a crisis.

In addition, it would give a far greater breadth of the society an insight into what the armed forces, security agencies and emergency services do. This would help fix a growing rift in understanding between the public and those who serve professionally.

Done correctly, conscription could also help counter a recruitment crisis afflicting the army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force, by giving young adults who might not otherwise have considered a military career a taste of what it's like.

Elisabeth Braw, a senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute think-tank, this week published a paper that called for the UK to adopt a Scandinavian-style form of national service.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-bring-back-national-service-but-lets-do-it-differently-11846370

National Service was abolished in 1960. Assuming the conscription age was 18, it means no one aged below of 77 has been called up.

In 2019 Britain is blighted by gangs of unruly, entitled pensioners. Bringing back National Service for those over 65 would be ideal for those struggling with Daily Mail addiction.

Agree 100% and link it in to Community Service as well.

I suppose this covers the latter to a point. A job experience and some who may be on the ‘wrong path’ a sense of purpose.

‘It would not only be aimed at the armed forces and security services, including attracting cyber experts to train at GCHQ, but could be broadened to include areas such as training with doctors, the police, the fire service and the energy sector’.

Just think, if there was national service in 1975, Kevin Reeves would never have hit that hat trick against Southport.

100%

2 years minimum.

After Brexit, the X Box, 53 gender, bone idle, will not make Britain great again.

Time to instill a backbone in to the current generation.
It's what made Britain great again after WW2.
Brilliant, let's build a country on teaching people how to kill everyone in all those nasty foreign countries.

This insular British attitude really concerns me. We are all human beings and we all live on Earth. Killing each other over bits of it is utterly stupid.

Any national service scheme introduced today would be very different to that of the last century. It wouldn't be about marching up and down a parade square in the rain for 6 months and learning to shoot a standard issue rifle. Rightly so.

Whilst we bearly have enough people to keep what few ships we have at sea, or aircraft in the air, it'd have to be broadened well beyond the traditional forces. You could say similar about a whole host of national public organisations, it wouldn't have to be solely focused on military type roles.

I believe most Scandinavian nations, liberal and progressive as they are, still run it in some form. So presumably still deem it beneficial.

So it depends what it'd involve, but if it's done well then why not. I wouldn't exactly call it a priority for the government though! Other things to be getting on with..

Normally on here there's quite a calling for nationalisation and expansion of the public sector etc.

Brilliant, let's build a country on teaching people how to kill everyone in all those nasty foreign countries.

This insular British attitude really concerns me. We are all human beings and we all live on Earth. Killing each other over bits of it is utterly stupid.

I didn’t realize every country with a national service had a “‘insular British attitude “ how strange .

You are probably right. Let the fag hag softies win.

National service 2020 would be a bit more structured that killing people I would think.

As part of a generation that breathed a collective sigh of relief by missing National Service I think that some sort of collective responsibility for young people would be good. Something along the lines of the American Peace Corps which could be deployed in areas of natural disaster or where populations have been displaced. National Service as it was in the 50’s is an outdated concept and the development of a mass of people programmed to obey and take orders without questioning is quite scary.

;