Non - Champions League Final

Thibaut Courtois is to my mind the current best keeper. Interesting to see how many good Belgian players there are with Hazard (x2), de Bruyne, Lukaku and a host of others. No wonder they are so high in the world rankings.
They’ve probably had the strongest team in the World on paper for at least 10 years but have bottled 2 World Cups and 2 Euros in that time.

Serious stuff..no doubt some clueless tit will blame it on Liverpool fans as well..too much wine and French cheese makes ex pats into clueless plonkers

Of all the fans to do this to and then blame it on, Liverpool's are surely the worst given the Hillsborough history. Clearly the French police are not very switched on. Tear gas and pepper spray FFS.

Tear gas should be administered in cubic feet

I was once half a mile away from tear gassing and still felt like I was being poisoned, having to wash my eyes out with milk. Awful stuff. Given that 1/4 people have asthma, that's even worse and children??? Heads need to roll.

Of all the fans to do this to and then blame it on, Liverpool's are surely the worst given the Hillsborough history. Clearly the French police are not very switched on. Tear gas and pepper spray FFS.

Same as the Greek police in 2007 when there we also only issues at the Liverpool end? No doubt UEFA and the franch police ballsed it up but there is always blaggers amongst the fans who try it on.

I see a French politician is again pointing the finger of blame at "a large number of British supporters arriving at the gates, either without tickets, or with fake tickets".
What a load of absolute BS.
Firstly, how would they have got through the outer security without tickets?
Secondly, if anyone was trying to blag their way in, would they be doing so 3 hours or so before kick-off?
There was clearly some kind of IT failure, and the system was rejecting genuine tickets. Following this, the treatment of the supporters stuck in the middle (and these would be the most loyal and dedicated LFC followers) was evidently disgraceful. Wheel-clamping an 84-year old woman in a wheelchair behind a Portakabin until after the game has finished - are they for real?

Gives them the chance to agree their cover up story. UEFA and France what could possibly go wrong.

France24

The scenes tarnished the image of the French capital, raising questions about its ability to host sporting events as it gears up for the 2024 sporting showpiece, as well as the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

Oudea-Castera expressed regret that "some supporters who had tickets were not able to access the match".

Monday's meeting at the sports ministry, due to start at 0900 GMT, will involve European football governing body UEFA, French football chiefs and the French police.

"The priority now is to identify very precisely what went wrong... in order to learn all the lessons so that such incidents do not happen again at our future major international sporting events," said Oudea-Cast

https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...g-to-prevent-repeat-of-champions-league-chaos

Unfortunately, Liverpool fans had a history of thousands turning up without (real) tickets long before Hillsborough.

That reputation had been around for generations and isn't likely to go away any time soon.

Let's hope there's less effort to cover up the police failings than when 90-odd died. Lessons being learned would be better than just pointing the finger of blame.

Unfortunately, Liverpool fans had a history of thousands turning up without (real) tickets long before Hillsborough.

That reputation had been around for generations and isn't likely to go away any time soon.

Let's hope there's less effort to cover up the police failings than when 90-odd died. Lessons being learned would be better than just pointing the finger of blame.

As the first reports came out it was a matter of finger pointing the blame at Liverpool fans from UEFA and the French side.

But as time goes on and more video and independent evidence come to light, things seem to have been toned down from the French side (France24).

With other big events coming up in France in the future, they want to make sure lessons are learnt and it doesn’t happen again.

I hope all the footage people have and independent media present that the truth will come out.
Let’s face it that whole situation could easily have ended up a shed load worst and in a very tragic way, crowds are notoriously unpredictable and if genuine panic sets in :downer::nopity:

So grateful that it appears no one paid the ultimate price but the whole thing sounds as though it was avoidable.

The bedded-in longtime stigma/spectre, whatever to call it, hanging over British fans abroad, English and Scottish in particular due to boisterous and boorish behaviour in the past has contributed to this....add in Hillsborough and Heysel attached to Liverpool.
But....Police getting carried away with their brief and using pepper and tear gas around kids is quite something else though.
I'm for knocking these tournaments on the head...and just enjoying sport at home ...in our own provinces.
Politics are just too turbulent now around the globe...and therefore who knows how much Brexit resentment plays a part...

;