Non - Derby County

In a way, the franchise system used in N America represents the maturation, or logical conclusion, of the way things seem to be headed in the UK with football clubs. And that's not a good thing.
All the owners are filthy rich, and it's impossible to buy your way into the league, unless you can purchase one of the pre-established clubs.
The beautiful and liberating idea of promotion and relegation just doesn't seem to be compatible with a system where you have billionaires buying/owning clubs; rather it hearkens back to a day when all the clubs were just local community projects with little money but lots of local pride.
Billionaires don't like the volatility of relegation, so they want to ensure that it becomes as unlikely as possible. The logical endpoint is something like the franchise system.:ROFLMAO:

What if Jeff Bezos bought a club personally? He could build the infrastructure and then have all of his businesses (e.g. Whole Foods) sponsor the team for whatever amounts they chose.
Would that work? I mean, just in case I win the Powerball twelve times.
That's exactly what some clubs do. It is supposed to be illegal but happens.
For example, this recent article is all about PSG, which is owned by the state of Qatar (it mentions Man City too):

Those high-end, head-spinning purchases came against a backdrop of UEFA’s financial regulations, which had come into full force a few years earlier. How, critics and rivals asked, could P.S.G. surpass the world transfer record not once, but twice, and stay within the rules?

The solution the club reached — as did Manchester City, which was accumulating high-end players in England in a similar spending spree — was to sign a slew of sponsorship deals and associations with enterprises linked to its owners. One in particular stood out: a huge agreement with the Qatar Tourism Authority for a nebulous concept known as “nation branding” that was booked as P.S.G.’s highest sponsorship deal, more than 100 million euros ($111 million) per season

What if Jeff Bezos bought a club personally? He could build the infrastructure and then have all of his businesses (e.g. Whole Foods) sponsor the team for whatever amounts they chose.
Would that work? I mean, just in case I win the Powerball twelve times.

Sponsorship is one of the grey areas that are used/abused at the moment. There was a period after Max took over when AFCB were sponsored by 'Goldsands' who appeared to be, for all I can make out, a company that didn't do anything apart from have a website with a couple of quotes from players on it.

I believe there are some controls which stop deals which are considered beyond real market value from being allowed as part of a club's FFP calculations, although that may be at European level. I think Man City and PSG have been investigated on this front. There's still a lot of wiggle room though.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX
In a way, the franchise system used in N America represents the maturation, or logical conclusion, of the way things seem to be headed in the UK with football clubs. And that's not a good thing.
All the owners are filthy rich, and it's impossible to buy your way into the league, unless you can purchase one of the pre-established clubs.
The beautiful and liberating idea of promotion and relegation just doesn't seem to be compatible with a system where you have billionaires buying/owning clubs; rather it hearkens back to a day when all the clubs were just local community projects with little money but lots of local pride.
Billionaires don't like the volatility of relegation, so they want to ensure that it becomes as unlikely as possible. The logical endpoint is something like the franchise system.:ROFLMAO:

The day promotion and relegation disappear from English football is the day I start following another sport.

Just to add, if Jeff Bezos did buy a club I suspect you wouldn't be able to buy a ticket for a match without them trying to foist fucking Amazon Prime on you several times in the checkout. Even if you live somewhere Prime wouldn't get you anything.

Just to add, if Jeff Bezos did buy a club I suspect you wouldn't be able to buy a ticket for a match without them trying to foist fucking Amazon Prime on you several times in the checkout. Even if you live somewhere Prime wouldn't get you anything.

Hilarious, but not true. He would raise the price of tickets, so that it was included.

Derby County have been charged by the English Football League for a breach of spending rules and now face a possible points deduction.

The charge relates to losses in the three years up to June 2018, despite the £80m sale of their stadium to owner Mel Morris, which saw a pre-tax profit of £14.6m in their 2017-18 accounts.

Spending rules allow Championship clubs to lose £39m over a three-year period.

The club has been referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51142719

Another club who sold their ground and then leased it back.

While that appears well below the £39m of allowable losses set out in league rules, the sale of their Pride Park home has come under scrutiny.

The Rams have leased back the ground, which was said to have been independently valued at £80m despite it being on the club's books as an asset worth £41m, from a company owned by Morris.

Derby County have been charged by the English Football League for a breach of spending rules and now face a possible points deduction.

The charge relates to losses in the three years up to June 2018, despite the £80m sale of their stadium to owner Mel Morris, which saw a pre-tax profit of £14.6m in their 2017-18 accounts.

Spending rules allow Championship clubs to lose £39m over a three-year period.

The club has been referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51142719

Another club who sold their ground and then leased it back.

While that appears well below the £39m of allowable losses set out in league rules, the sale of their Pride Park home has come under scrutiny.

The Rams have leased back the ground, which was said to have been independently valued at £80m despite it being on the club's books as an asset worth £41m, from a company owned by Morris.
I think Wednesday are being investigated for the same thing.

And the manager, players and fans get punished because of 'suits' being incompetent or fraudulent! F#cking does my head in! It will happen to us again one day...I just know it!

Can't comment much because I haven't paid much attention to them in recent years. But I remember they were 'going for it' in the season we went up, and ever since. Guess it all adds up?

Derby don't look like they'll trouble the play-offs this year.

Which is heart-breaking.

Because there's nothing better than repeatedly watching Derby spend all season challenging for promotion, only to fluff it right at the end (y)

Sheffield Wednesday deducted 12 points for next season.

Was there a result for Derby and Reading?

;